Author Topic: Goodman: D'antoni Out, Corny In  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Always THE HERD

Re: Goodman: D'antoni Out, Corny In
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2024, 10:26:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Dan hadn't thrown a hissy fit in his meeting with Brad and Spears, he's likely still be the coach. Going postal in that kind of meeting doesn't give your boss the confidence to keep you on board. And Brad was a Dan fan.
    And you know this how?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2024, 10:26:58 AM »

Online herd2win

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2024, 10:38:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And you know this how?

I have only an opinion and zero knowledge on this but, the fact Dan hasn't made any statement or been available says to me something didn't go well in that meeting.  Also, Dans media mouthpiece has not written anything in this.  Chuck has been silent even on social media.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, elginherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2024, 10:53:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have only an opinion and zero knowledge on this but, the fact Dan hasn't made any statement or been available says to me something didn't go well in that meeting.  Also, Dans media mouthpiece has not written anything in this.  Chuck has been silent even on social media.

I think that the immediate elevation of Coach Corny also points to a meeting that didn't go well. Even though there are players that aren't good enough, if Corny's not installed, then there's a greater chance that OAK, Martin, Fricks and/or Conner leave.

I happened to be in the circle behing Old Main when Spears & his staff were walking through Monday between 6:30ish & 7.
    There were not any smiles, there was hushed talk & a lot of shoulder shrugging.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Always THE HERD, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline chris88

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2024, 10:58:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris you just don't get it if something is wrong it is still wrong no matter how you want it to be right.

Word salad logic. People have the right to do what they want with their money for whatever reason they have. It's not wrong for people to express lawful freedom of choice and you have no right to deem it wrong. Pretending that we are talking about a moral issue would be a huge overstatement.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline svherd

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2024, 11:01:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have only an opinion and zero knowledge on this but, the fact Dan hasn't made any statement or been available says to me something didn't go well in that meeting.  Also, Dans media mouthpiece has not written anything in this.  Chuck has been silent even on social media.

Bingo. A family member in media stays in touch. This is what was told to me - the meeting did NOT go well.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline chris88

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2024, 11:17:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bingo. A family member in media stays in touch. This is what was told to me - the meeting did NOT go well.

I guess my question is why would anyone expect it to?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline theherd0115691

• Rookie
    « Reply #131 on: March 27, 2024, 11:17:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I am not sure if this has been pointed out but article on ESPN.com shows no replacement yet for Dan?it was written at 10:29pm Monday night. Wonder why they would not have listed Corny as the replacement? It was announced by then I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muherd34

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2024, 11:20:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bingo. A family member in media stays in touch. This is what was told to me - the meeting did NOT go well.

100% the meeting didn?t go well.  This was not planned to happen this year and Dan forced the decision of his dismissal by showing his butt is what I was told.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2024, 11:56:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 100% the meeting didn?t go well.  This was not planned to happen this year and Dan forced the decision of his dismissal by showing his butt is what I was told.
    What could have caused DD to "showing his butt is what I was told", as stated by muherd34?

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2024, 11:59:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh man this is starting to get good. Not a surprise he showed his @ss, he?s shown he doesn?t take criticism very well.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline bighat

« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2024, 11:59:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris tell me how what you propose is going to help Marshall.  After all this is a fan site.

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2024, 12:39:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember when Dan got hired, he made a statement something like, "if I'm not getting the job done they won't have to tell me to leave, I'll step aside."

I don't know him personally so it's impossible to know what really happened, but from reading between the lines from multiple sources, he had a huge ego and it got the best of him in the end. I wish him well, but he should have known it was time to step aside.

We never need to make another legacy hire...ever. What a mess this turned into.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdly4, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2024, 12:39:28 PM »

Online herd2win

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2024, 12:43:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember when Dan got hired, he made a statement something like, "if I'm not getting the job done they won't have to tell me to leave, I'll step aside."

I don't know him personally so it's impossible to know what really happened, but from reading between the lines from multiple sources, he had a huge ego and it got the best of him in the end. I wish him well, but he should have known it was time to step aside.

Unfortunately we just did it again by hiring Corny.  Should have done a national search.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2024, 12:47:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unfortunately we just did it again by hiring Corny.  Should have done a national search.

Agh, maybe I should have rephrased that. I hope we never hire another legacy coach that has friends in high places at Marshall. Corny is on a 2 year, no buyout, prove yourself kind of deal. I would imagine they would move on from him much easier than someone like a D'Antoni.

Btw, I agree we should have done a true search, but there could have been other factors preventing that from happening.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2024, 12:50:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2024, 12:54:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Dan hadn't thrown a hissy fit in his meeting with Brad and Spears, he's likely still be the coach. Going postal in that kind of meeting doesn't give your boss the confidence to keep you on board. And Brad was a Dan fan.
    Well now the plot really thickens.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2024, 01:01:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Paul... Lots of fond HS memories with him and his brother.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2024, 01:26:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Great piece on Paul.  What does this have to do with DD?

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2024, 02:18:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great piece on Paul.  What does this have to do with DD?

Yea.  I was kind of lost with the abrupt and total change in the thread.

Now back to the OP.  Give us more info on DDs meeting with Spears and maybe Smith.
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 02:28:16 PM by wasbarryb »

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline chris88

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2024, 02:48:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris tell me how what you propose is going to help Marshall.  After all this is a fan site.

- Keep hiring coaches that believe Marshall can be top 100 in every sport except FB.  In football, make the goal to be one of top 3-4 programs outside the P4/5. Give them all the things they think they need to do that within reason. Expect them to schedule and recruit like a top 100 program. If they don't think they can sell Marshall to that extent than don't hire them/keep them. Know what you are looking for and ask the right questions. Have a list to go to if a coach decides to move on or vice versa. Encourage coaches, as Spears says, "to pour themselves into the job".

- Make a collective effort with every coach to sell our fanbase/support, the sense of community, our league, and that playing on a huge campus elsewhere has it's drawbacks and not every top recruit will thrive in that environment.  Sell our growing academic culture. Sell our ever improving facilities. You have that type of culture and you win, you won't have to worry near as much about players leaving. I expect softball will be competing for conf title again as soon as next year. The pitcher Maddy Veal was named Georgia Peach Player of Year late last year. We have a C/inf ranked in top 10 catchers in country. The other recruits are very accomplished as well. Tennis is on good footing. Track and Field is trending up. Women's soccer recently signed 4-5 intl players....one is a 19 goal scorer on the JUCO Natl Champ team already in US. We need the resource heavy sports (FB/BB) to catch up.

- NIL is a bribe scheme imo. NIL should be about players like Catlyn Clark (sp). She made about 900k last year using her NIL but none of that money came from Iowa's platform. She is marketable. The money they are handing out for nothing is a just a bribe. However you can use the NIL money strategically to keep players here to an extent imo. Kinsey and Elmore stayed and they would have been a lot harder to replace than MH and AT. There can be a happy medium at non power leagues but you're never going to be able to outbid someone. It shouldn't be about getting players cars to drive and 6 figure payouts, but helping staying for the summer, allowing them to hire personal trainers in their sport, making sure their family can see them play live, maybe helping out their family on occasion.

Those two things, imo, will go farther than anything else as long as everyone is on the same page. What would you suggest?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2024, 03:05:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • - NIL is a bribe scheme imo. NIL should be about players like Catlyn Clark (sp). She made about 900k last year using her NIL but none of that money came from Iowa's platform. She is marketable. The money they are handing out for nothing is a just a bribe.

From ESPN: Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark has been offered $5 million to play in Ice Cube's Big3 league, league co-founder Ice Cube confirmed on social media.

For what it's worth, the highest paid WNBA player made around $235K last year.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline bighat

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2024, 10:08:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris

To make Marshall better we need:
    1. More money for both NIL and operations and some plan to get that money.
    2. More fans attending games.  We are already known for our following and attendance build on that premise.  Some people do not come back once they leave.
    3. Better leadership.  I think this is being developed by Spears and Smith.
    4. Quit making decisions on the spur of the moment.  No coach we have will be there forever.  Even Cam Henderson was let go.
    5.  Keep building our brand.  Better marketing.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2024, 10:08:59 AM »

Online mu79grad

« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2024, 01:25:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

A friend sent me this following transcript.  I have no idea where it came from.  She didn't tell me where it came from and I did not ask.  She just knew I was a Marshall fan and thought I might like to read it.  She said it had been verified.  So, I'll pass it along because it certainly sounds plausible.

Last summer, Corny was approached by Kevin Keatts, the coach at NC State, about an assistant position on his staff.

Corny, was obviously interested, but also felt an allegiance to Marshall so he went to Dan and asked for some reassurances.

With how Spears wrote Dan's and Corny's contracts (three individual 1-year contracts) there wasn't much Dan could do other than ask for some revisions.

So he went to Spears and asked him to consider revising the contracts. Spears not being happy with the program said no. Then, Dan asked for Corny to be made the HCIW. Spears turned them down again.

At that point, Dan went directly to Brad (which nuked Dan's and Christian's relationship) and basically repeated himself.

Dan - "We need some reassurances."

Brad - "You have them. You have a 3-year contract."

Dan - "No, we don't."

Brad - "What do you mean?"

Dan - "Christian wrote them as three individual 1-year contracts, not a 3-year contract. Now, NC State is trying to hire Corny away so I want to name him Head Coach In Waiting but I want it in writing"

Brad calls Christian and asks him to come to the office

Brad - "Christian, I want you to write a release stating Corny is our HCIW."

Christian goes back to his office pissed off and writes a release stating Corny is now our associate HC, not the HCIW

(which damaged his relationship with Brad)

This was a Brad Smith situation all the way through. From the firing of Dan to the hiring of Corny.

All of this was prior to NC State showing interest of course.

Which brought us to last week.

Prior to last week, I think Dan was safe, but the situation most certainly soured for Dan.

Dan had NO CLUE the firing was coming. He was in his office yesterday (Monday) morning carrying on with business as usual.

He had zero intentions of stepping down and very little interest in reshaping the roster (Corny is already on top of that BTW).

Dan was livid.

For the record, I don't believe that Corny knew what was going down until after Dan was made aware that he'd no longer be the HC at Marshall.

As far as the Huggins information goes, there was zero interest from the Marshall side. That was all donors and fans who generated this nonsense.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, wlf, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2024, 01:35:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not doubting you, but Keatts made assistant coaches changes at NC State in 2022. He didn't make any changes in 2023. Maybe the timeline is off?

https://www.backingthepack.com/nc-state-basketball/2022/3/22/22990824/kevin-keatts-fires-two-assistant-coaches

Also, I am not sure what the title of "associated head coach" means. Doc was AHC at wvu; NC State and Florida before he was hired by Marshall. Maybe AHC is just a management title for pay scale or compensation?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Holliday_(American_football)
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:41:52 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online herd2win

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2024, 01:36:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan may come across as a nice guy but his actions with many people would not validate that.  He has a massive problem dealing with authority.  If he doesn't get his way he becomes difficult.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2024, 01:36:47 PM »