Author Topic: 'America's Most Patriotic Rock Band' Butchers National Anthem at Daytona  (Read 863 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    The folks at NASCAR thought they had a perfect fit for the national anthem when they selected Madison Rising, "America's most patriotic rock band," for the Nationwide Series at Daytona. About halfway through their rendition, it was obvious they probably regretted that decision.

It really starts to get interesting around the one-minute mark, and it only spirals out of control from there. The driver's faces say it all.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1970073-americas-most-patriotic-rock-band-butchers-national-anthem-at-daytona?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Usually on a bad rendition you get the vocal gymnastics with those hilarious runs where they sound like they're searching for the melody. What's your take on this band's interpretation of the National Anthem?

HerdFans.com

Online gtrman4herd

Re: 'America's Most Patriotic Rock Band' Butchers National Anthem at Daytona
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wasn't too awfully bad until they started head banging the National Anthem. Call me an old fogey, but I like the National Anthem sang pretty close to the traditional way its been done for many years. Just keep it tasteful, I don't think they kept it tasteful. I have heard worse though.
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wasn't too awfully bad until they started head banging the National Anthem. Call me an old fogey, but I like the National Anthem sang pretty close to the traditional way its been done for many years. Just keep it tasteful, I don't think they kept it tasteful. I have heard worse though.

I feel pretty much the same way. I still miss Leo Imperi singing the NA at basketball games, back in the day.

Offline herdman

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1970073-americas-most-patriotic-rock-band-butchers-national-anthem-at-daytona?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Usually on a bad rendition you get the vocal gymnastics with those hilarious runs where they sound like they're searching for the melody. What's your take on this band's interpretation of the National Anthem?

Disgraceful.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:26:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ouch.  Patriotic?
    "The Herd #1"

Offline dwaynehinkle

Re:
    « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm kind of with them that it's almost become a funeral march anymore. But, with that said, it's a NASCAR race. Do it the way you're expected to and make your money and leave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with the premise that there's something sacred about the national anthem that shouldn't be played with... having said that, I've heard artists from every other musical category take liberties, but this is the first time I've heard a rock band do it... if compared with the others in that "non-sacred" category, I'll vote for this... just a personal preference.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »