Author Topic: contemporary piece on Iwo Jima 60th anniversary and today  (Read 799 times)

Offline TomorrowHERD

contemporary piece on Iwo Jima 60th anniversary and today
« on: February 19, 2005, 03:38:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110006317

The lesson of Iwo Jima is in fact an ancient one, going back to Machiavelli: that sometimes free societies must be as tough and unrelenting as their enemies. Totalitarians test their opponents by generating extreme conditions of brutality and violence; in those conditions--in the streets and beheadings of Fallujah or on the beach and in the bunkers of Iwo Jima--they believe weak democratic nerves will crack. This in turn demonstrates their moral superiority: that by giving up their own decency and humanity they have become stronger than those who have not.

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

HerdFans.com

« on: February 19, 2005, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:45:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TommorowHerd,  you have interesting, insightful posts, and I thank you for them.  My father, who was an officer in the US ARMY, as well as myself, but during WWII,.  We'll let me just say it touches me in a special way.  May God Bless You!

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:P

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 09:26:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks Carolina.  I have just had eye surgery so I am taking a 2-3 week break from much internet use.  Herd boards and 2 news sites only for a while.  We had several dozen Iwo Jima veterans here this week on their way up to Iwo for a visit.  I met with them and herd several good stories.  When the Vets were here last year for the 60th of the invasion of Saipan and the Marianas, I spent a week with them as the medical officer.  I went to numerous seminars and learned quite a bit.  My eyes are starting to get crossed now ---better stop typing.   :shock:  8)

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

HerdFans.com

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 09:26:50 PM »