Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
Spears
« on: December 09, 2023, 10:26:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Spears doesn't have the balls or the backing to fire Fluff he has to come out and make a statement.

We are a laughingstock around the country because of Fluff's comments that made national media (SI article).

Smith knows how damaging that shite is to your brand

Spears has to say something like:

"Marshall has the best fans in the country and we are so proud to represent this great university"

Don't name Huff but send a clear message

That's the bare minimum, or good luck selling football tickets next season with dbag supreme as head coach

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain

HerdFans.com

Spears
    « on: December 09, 2023, 10:26:46 AM »

Offline MUfan08

Re: Spears
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 10:38:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He can't give himself credit on someone else's success, so he will remain silent.

Heck he is just a dotted line to Huff and Danny anyways, those two report to Smith.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 10:41:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm beginning to be less impressed with both of our leaders.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 10:46:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think this is a big deal around the nation. SI is a shell of its former status and we are a G5 program not a P5. Big schools attract the attention of the media and fans. I haven't seem much mentioned on message boards by the MAC schools or other P5/G5 schools.There is one thread on the CSNbbs board and there are 66 replies and about 37 of them are MU fans posting on the topic. It is a bigger deal to MU fans than other college fans.

If I was the MU officials I would ignore the issue and let it pass. I am not taking it too seriously and it is much ado about nothing. Huff will be gone after next season so there is no reason to worry about it. The real problem at MU is the basketball situation where we have a bad coach who is protected by  politics.

Some on this board want a pound of flesh (for those who remember the high school or college literature classes). Again, Huff will gone after next season and MU should have plenty of time to search for the new coach. Again, everyone should be more concern with basketball since we don't see the light at the end of the tunnel like the football situation.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, parshall2marshall, herddds, BraveSaintStuart, herdorbust2

Online luvherd

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 10:51:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read a post that Brad wanted all the details and a meeting was Monday. Having been in a major corporation this is normal procedure.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd, horsrman, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 10:57:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've said it before...Spears is exactly what we don't need right now. I just can't get over his heavy breathing, gasping, fake emotional pleas to Marshall fans, and the overstated BS that comes out of his mouth (biggest scoreboard in college football). At a time where we need a cut throat, "we play for championships" type of AD we got a Kumbaya hope everyone feels ok safe space northern woke guy. Dude has spent his whole life out west Cali/Washington and in the North (professionally)...his mentality is in direct contrast to the Sun Belt (South).

Now here comes someone saying "this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard" and Muther chiming in with "remember that time you said this about Ali..."

Spears is soft. Spears doesn't fit in at all with the SBC and doesn't understand the culture. We'll be getting our arses kicked in the SBC until he is gone.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears fell short with the basketball coach.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think this is a big deal around the nation. SI is a shell of its former status and we are a G5 program not a P5. Big schools attract the attention of the media and fans. I haven't seem much mentioned on message boards by the MAC schools or other P5/G5 schools.There is one thread on the CSNbbs board and there are 66 replies and about 37 of them are MU fans posting on the topic. It is a bigger deal to MU fans than other college fans.

If I was the MU officials I would ignore the issue and let it pass. I am not taking it too seriously and it is much ado about nothing. Huff will be gone after next season so there is no reason to worry about it. The real problem at MU is the basketball situation where we have a bad coach who is protected by  politics.

Some on this board want a pound of flesh (for those who remember the high school or college literature classes). Again, Huff will gone after next season and MU should have plenty of time to search for the new coach. Again, everyone should be more concern with basketball since we don't see the light at the end of the tunnel like the football situation.

Honestly, Marshall should be caring about its fans at a time like this. Looking at the board, HN, and Facebook or Twitter, seems Marshall fans are more appalled that NOTHING has come out from the AD office on the matter (even damage control).

Huff is done, why wait until December of next year, he is done.

The problem is with ZERO communication from the AD, it appears that Marshall is just trying to sweep this under the rug, doesn't care about the fans, or worse, they actually agree with Huff....
    This is going to have a longer lasting impression on the school than Huff being coach from the fans.

Dan is a whole different issue than Huff, but at least Danny we know isn't going to say things detrimental to the school.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, mu79grad, thelonderee, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herd1990

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 11:02:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Spears doesn't have the balls or the backing to fire Fluff he has to come out and make a statement.

We are a laughingstock around the country because of Fluff's comments that made national media (SI article).

Smith knows how damaging that shite is to your brand

Spears has to say something like:

"Marshall has the best fans in the country and we are so proud to represent this great university"

Don't name Huff but send a clear message

That's the bare minimum, or good luck selling football tickets next season with dbag supreme as head coach

I have a pretty credible source within the program.  There will be no repercussions from last week's drama.  Nobody is getting fired.  Or maybe I should say, if someone is getting fired or punished, it would be news to everyone working there.  It's business as usual in the Shewey Building.  🤷🏻‍♂️

The following users thanked this post: Big City, parshall2marshall, ed swain, horsrman

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 11:09:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly, Marshall should be caring about its fans at a time like this. Looking at the board, HN, and Facebook or Twitter, seems Marshall fans are more appalled that NOTHING has come out from the AD office on the matter (even damage control).

Huff is done, why wait until December of next year, he is done.

The problem is with ZERO communication from the AD, it appears that Marshall is just trying to sweep this under the rug, doesn't care about the fans, or worse, they actually agree with Huff....
    This is going to have a longer lasting impression on the school than Huff being coach from the fans.

Dan is a whole different issue than Huff, but at least Danny we know isn't going to say things detrimental to the school.

I guess Donnan was before your time? He said outlandish things several times even busting on a major contributor at QB meeting. Again, If I were the MU officials I would just ignore it. This will pass like the "Bandgate" situation. I must have a tougher hide than most of the posters on this board, I just don't care what Huff said.

Sorry, but Dan is a much bigger problem. He should have been fired years ago, but he is protected by politics. The situation is horrible when a bad coach is allowed to stay because of his connections.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, herddds, herdorbust2

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 11:13:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess Donnan was before your time? He said outlandish things several times even busting on a major contributor at QB meeting. Again, If I were the MU officials I would just ignore it. This will pass like the "Bandgate" situation. I must have a tougher hide than most of the posters on this board, I just don't care what Huff said.

Sorry, but Dan is a much bigger problem. He should have been fired years ago, but he is protected by politics. The situation is horrible when a bad coach is allowed to stay because of his connections.

That's awesome about Donnan, we are discussing Huff and the time now and him making comments to the news not some private gathering.

Don't care about Huff either, but you don't give him an open mic to downgrade a fan base as he sees fit.

Basketball doesn't bring in the revenue as football does, so it is always going to be a higher priority.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:15:46 AM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herd2win

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 11:22:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some good comments here.  It was a national story and that is one major difference between what Huff said and Donnan.  Some are missing the point.  The people that matter most are the Herd fans and it is clear Huff doesn't like MU or Huntington.

Why pay a guy almost a million dollars a year to put your school and area down.  I love my Herd but Huff cannot come back from this for me to move on.

I had made posts long ago about Spears and I will stick by those.  He is not going to have an impact and also won't be at MU very long.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, thelonderee, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 11:22:23 AM »

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 11:29:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some good comments here.  It was a national story and that is one major difference between what Huff said and Donnan.  Some are missing the point.  The people that matter most are the Herd fans and it is clear Huff doesn't like MU or Huntington.

Why pay a guy almost a million dollars a year to put your school and area down.  I love my Herd but Huff cannot come back from this for me to move on.

I had made posts long ago about Spears and I will stick by those.  He is not going to have an impact and also won't be at MU very long.

Not even sure why Donnan is being brought up haha. Donnan won a bunch of games and championships here and never finished last and always spoke Marshall positively in a national forum (heck in private booster meetings have to be honest of what is needed to stay competitive).
    Huff is none of the things as Donnan, he's a loud mouth Saban wannabe.

Compare it to family, you can say certain things to family members, but you don't let anyone else and bring up issues outside of the family.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, thelonderee

Online herd1990

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is my question.  Was Huff wrong saying Cam was hated?  I mean yes he was wrong to say it in a public forum, but was he wrong in his assessment?  As someone who tended to like Fancher (when healthy) I sure saw an abundance of "hate" directed towards him on this board and I'm sure the other board.  I also saw tons of similar sentiment on Twitter and Facebook groups.  It would be hard for Cam not to see it unless he never used his phone or computer.   Call it hate, call it backlash, call it heat.....whatever you want.  Many said some pretty nasty things about Cam.  There was as much "hate" directed at one player than I can ever recall since I've been a Herd fan.  So yes, Huff was wrong to say it but how can you argue that the comment wasn't true?
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:36:18 AM by herd1990 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUther

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #14 on: December 09, 2023, 11:36:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is my question.  Was Huff wrong saying Cam was hated?  I mean yes he was wrong to say it in a public forum, but was he wrong in his assessment?  As someone who tended to like Fancher (when healthy) I sure saw an abundance of "hate" directed towards him on this board and I'm sure the other board.  I also saw tons of similar sentiment on Twitter and Facebook groups.  It would be hard Cam not to see it unless he never used his phone or computer.   Call it hate, call it backlash, call it heat.....whatever you want.  Many said some pretty nasty things about Cam.  There was as much "hate" directed at one player than I can ever recall since I've been a Herd fan.  So yes, Huff was wrong to say it but how can you argue that the comment wasn't true?

There is no justifying what Fluff said

You don't say that shite publicly when you're the leader of the football program

End of story 

Offline MUther

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 12:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've said it before...Spears is exactly what we don't need right now. I just can't get over his heavy breathing, gasping, fake emotional pleas to Marshall fans, and the overstated BS that comes out of his mouth (biggest scoreboard in college football). At a time where we need a cut throat, "we play for championships" type of AD we got a Kumbaya hope everyone feels ok safe space northern woke guy. Dude has spent his whole life out west Cali/Washington and in the North (professionally)...his mentality is in direct contrast to the Sun Belt (South).

Now here comes someone saying "this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard" and Muther chiming in with "remember that time you said this about Ali..."

Spears is soft. Spears doesn't fit in at all with the SBC and doesn't understand the culture. We'll be getting our arses kicked in the SBC until he is gone.

Rent free...

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 12:28:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've gotten to the point I am losing interest. When Marshall decides to make Football and Basketball competitive again with coaches that have experience and know how to win hopefully I can get back the interest and game day fun that has sadly left.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, ed swain, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fire them all. Bring back Hammy, Gilbert and Doc. We can all be happy the locals boys are back.

Good leaders don't make knee jerk statements. I am sure this has been and is being discussed. I want to see a message as bad as anyone but doubt we see one soon, if ever.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2023, 12:59:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rent free...

I could say the same thing about you. You are obsessed with it. You bring it up ad nauseum cuz that's all you got. Please list all the things I've been wrong about. Please. You got 1 singular post where I'm speculating. Look at every one of my posts. You can't find anything. You have to stoop to speculation that even our local media echoed cuz you got nothing. Serious question, could you imagine if I did that with all of your bad takes and posts where time makes you look silly? I've called our whole situation across the board in every sport months and even years ahead of time. I've told you what was going to happen with players, coaches, and teams...while you've defended and made excuses for suck continually. Imagine defending Fancher...a guy that likely won't play QB again and if he does will be at a middle of the road FCS school. <---Remember this...I'm going to make you look silly again...

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2023, 01:10:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Sports Illustrated is indeed an irrelevant joke today, but I still think you're underestimating the national reach of this story.

- Cassidy Wood's tweet has been viewed directly 1.3 million times.
    - It was on the front page of the CFB subreddit for a couple days, and that place has 2.6 million subscribers.
    - Barstool Sports tweeted an article about it to their 5.5 million followers.

I'm not a huge fan of Barstool, but it's undoubtedly the king of sports media for anybody under the age of 25. I don't think this story is going to become some long-lasting stain on Marshall, but I do think it's absolutely going to have a negative effect on recruiting this cycle.

Regardless, it will have a very long-lasting impact on Herd fans, and that's what matters more than anything. It will define the entire Marshall careers of Spears and Smith if they choose not to do anything about it. Hopefully the deafening silence is only because of legal reasons surrounding the ongoing negotiations for termination.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, svherd, thelonderee, Lord Haw-Haw

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2023, 01:18:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess Donnan was before your time? He said outlandish things several times even busting on a major contributor at QB meeting. Again, If I were the MU officials I would just ignore it. This will pass like the "Bandgate" situation. I must have a tougher hide than most of the posters on this board, I just don't care what Huff said.

Donnan also played for a national championship 4 of his 6 seasons here.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herd1990

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2023, 01:23:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no justifying what Fluff said

You don't say that shite publicly when you're the leader of the football program

End of story

No.  I agree he should have never said it.  I'm asking if what he said was true.  Has there been a more polarizing player for the Herd in the last 20 years?  Was there an overwhelming amount of "hate/heat/backlash" for Cam this season?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2023, 01:23:06 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2023, 01:29:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No.  I agree he should have never said it.  I'm asking if what he said was true.  Has there been a more polarizing player for the Herd in the last 20 years?  Was there an overwhelming amount of "hate/heat/backlash" for Cam this season?

This board, nation and the Herd Fans Facebook and Twitter pages contained likely 99% of the posts calling Cam names. If those social media sites, maybe a dozen or so posters continued bash the kid.
    No, it's not a good look, no it shouldn't have happened. But to label the entire fan base as haters was a terrible and unforgivable quote by Huff. It had smeared us and you are correct, it will take time to shed that image.

As to most polarizing player, I would say Chase Litton takes that honor. Was a cancer on the team. And  to be honest, was the only Marshall athlete that I was ever glad to see leave here.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herd1990, parshall2marshall, thelonderee

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #23 on: December 09, 2023, 02:17:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No.  I agree he should have never said it.  I'm asking if what he said was true.  Has there been a more polarizing player for the Herd in the last 20 years?  Was there an overwhelming amount of "hate/heat/backlash" for Cam this season?

I'm not happy Fancher was attacked so badly but this is what happens with big time sports.

Does that make it ok?

No, but it comes with the territory so you gotta be tough

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, HerdEcon, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2023, 02:19:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• This board, nation and the Herd Fans Facebook and Twitter pages contained likely 99% of the posts calling Cam names. If those social media sites, maybe a dozen or so posters continued bash the kid.
    No, it's not a good look, no it shouldn't have happened. But to label the entire fan base as haters was a terrible and unforgivable quote by Huff. It had smeared us and you are correct, it will take time to shed that image.

As to most polarizing player, I would say Chase Litton takes that honor. Was a cancer on the team. And  to be honest, was the only Marshall athlete that I was ever glad to see leave here.

What's crazy is if Huff or Fancher himself can't handle the criticism here, imagine if they went somewhere else where it's 10 times worse (like ANYWHERE ELSE)? Joe Milton stats for 2023 in the SEC were: 2813 yards, 20 TDs, 5 Ints, and 70.1 Comp. %. Tennessee fans road the guy ALL year, were down right mean, wanted him gone and replaced every single game ALL YEAR, there were posts about don't boo him on senior day...don't boo him...a guy that was 2813|20|5|70.1.

If coaches and players can't handle our soft media...and our good fans...they can't take it anywhere...there's no where to go...and they better hope they never step up in competition...they'd lose their ever so fragile minds.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2023, 02:19:35 PM »