Author Topic: SVB Failure  (Read 290 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

SVB Failure
« on: March 14, 2023, 09:57:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting there is no discussion on the SVB failure?

HerdFans.com

SVB Failure
    « on: March 14, 2023, 09:57:13 AM »

Offline 2xBison

Re: SVB Failure
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 10:07:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting there is no discussion on the SVB failure?

Build back better is so hopeless there is no need to even discuss current events.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 10:20:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard a comment from Senator John Warner D VA saying something like the SVB management failed Banking 101. That sounds like a good observation to me.

Offline bighat

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You really don't want to go there.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 11:30:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why, the SBV made stupid decisions and should be held accountable for their malfeasance. The management starting dumping their shares and giving bonuses to upper management right before the bank went under. I doubt they will be prosecuted, but I wish they were indicted.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 06:07:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You really don't want to go there.

Why not?
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline bighat

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 07:42:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You took out regulations made into law during Obama era in the Trump to help prevent this type of thing and now your whining.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 08:14:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You took out regulations made into law during Obama era in the Trump to help prevent this type of thing and now your whining.

Don't be disingenuous, the rule changes enacted during the Trump era had wide bipartisan support from both parties and were enacted to keep the big banks like BOA from taking over smaller regional banks. The last thing the US needs is a few large banks controlling the system.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 08:52:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

this guy repeats his lines right on cue
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Credit Suisse is in big trouble in Europe.  Of course they have been involved in money laundering forever. One thing to watch, in my mind, is to see if any of this spreads to the offshore havens in the Caribbean and elsewhere.  That is where the super rich and other criminals often put their money for tax havens. If that becomes a potential issue you'll see the govt engage in a bigger bailout of banks than 2008/2009 imo. 

Bonds that outperformed the larger bond market last year and have been good all year this year because they rose with interest rates now getting killed because of credit risk and possibility of pausing rate hikes..which is why investment grade bonds (that got killed last year) and short term treasuries are suddenly popping. Nobody knows what the Fed will do because they don't know themselves. Pausing or reversing rates will exacerbate inflation, especially with an incoherent energy policy. If you or anyone you know were espousing the line "debt (sovereign) doesn't matter" and quoting economic illiterates like weenie Cheney (deficits don't matter) should feel free to punch yourself repeatedly.  It only doesn't matter if you can print unabated AND stay away from inflation. Over a long period of time that is impossible no matter how often you change how you measure inflation. 

At this point, you can't raise rates high enough to combat inflation without destroying the economy and creating a situation where US could default on debt.  For indy investors, the traditional "buy and hold" strategy will likely no longer work. You're going to lose money to inflation AND your balance will likely continue to go down. The result for the middle class will be a lower standard/quality of life.  As I've said before, Rand Paul has introduced a balanced budget amendment for a number of consecutive years now.  It goes down in flames every year by a healthy margin because no democrats and only a few Republicans ever vote for it. They blind you with social/cultural stuff and create Orwellian Goldsteins in Trump, Putin and others so you don't pay attention to the things that impact your life the most. And then as European Commission President said "when it gets serious you have to lie" ...except they have been lying all along. My advice is to pray heavily and get out of debt. In short term it also might be a good idea to find a way to store a few thousand dollars outside of banks.  You cannot even go into a bank now and withdraw a few thousand. They don't keep cash there. Imagine what it will be like if a bunch of people need cash.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline bighat

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 01:34:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Disengensious- I am just the opposite, I am telling the truth.

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 04:57:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Disengensious- I am just the opposite, I am telling the truth.

Then why didn?t Biden and dems reinstate them over the last two years?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 04:57:23 PM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • bighat needs to read the NPR interview with Barney Frank who was responsible for the Dodd/Frank banking  law concerning the SVB failure.

SUMMERS: In an op-ed for The New York Times, Senator Elizabeth Warren says that the recent bank failures - and I'm quoting here - "are the direct result of leaders in Washington weakening the financial rules." And she is talking there specifically about the rollback of parts of your legislation, which was designed to avoid another financial crisis like the one in 2008. Those are rollbacks you supported. Are you having second thoughts about that now?

FRANK: No, I disagree. I didn't like that whole bill because there were parts of it in the housing discrimination and the like. But, no, I don't think there is any sign that the rollback caused the problem in the first place. The regulator who took the lead in closing Signature Bank was the financial regulator appointed for the state of New York. Their authority was in no way affected by the 2018 increase in the level of banks subject to the closest supervision. So whatever the regulator in New York decided to do could have been done before. But secondly, I was on the board of Signature both before and after...

SUMMERS: Right.

FRANK: ...The change. And I can tell you personally there was no diminution of regulation. 2018 didn't say no regulation or weak regulation. It said you wouldn't regulate a bank at $50 billion in assets the same way you wouldn't regulate a bank at several trillion. But they retain strong power to regulate. I think the cause of this problem was crypto. The fact that - and it starts, if you notice, with FTX.
    https://www.npr.org/2023/03/13/1163164107/former-congressman-barney-frank-on-silicon-valley-bank-collapse

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »