Author Topic: Senate probes COVID funds to use for MU baseball stadium  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Senate probes COVID funds to use for MU baseball stadium
« on: February 04, 2023, 09:08:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder if this will stop the building of the stadium or is it a political stunt?

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) - With an opening pitch in September and a check for $13.8 million, West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice contributed your tax dollars to help Marshall University build a long-awaited baseball stadium.
    Now it?s revealed that most of that cash was once federal dollars the state received to fight COVID.
    ?The question becomes, ?Is this something that is appropriate??? Sen. Eric Tarr asked at a special Senate Finance Committee held Friday. ?I think that?s something I think this committee wants and needs to get to the bottom of.?
    That topic was agenda item number one Friday.
    The baseball contribution, actually part of a much large transfer as Justice moved more than $28 million in COVID relief to his Gifts, Grants and Donations Fund.
    That Sept. 30, 2022, transaction just beat a federal deadline to spend the last of the state?s COVID allotment. Doing so ensured that West Virginia didn?t have to pay back any unused money.
    The Governor?s Office contends that once those funds switched accounts, it was no longer COVID money, but state money available for use.

For more see the link:
    https://www.wsaz.com/2023/02/04/senate-probes-covid-funds-used-mu-baseball-stadium/
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 09:16:20 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

HerdFans.com

Senate probes COVID funds to use for MU baseball stadium
    « on: February 04, 2023, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline bighat

Re: Senate probes COVID funds to use for MU baseball stadium
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 09:23:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Eric Tarr makes disparaging remarks about Marshall on occasion.

Offline MUther

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 09:31:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One could argue that building the stadium is a step towards getting back to normal and getting people together, which could also be argued as fighting the effects of COVID. 

But if I was Justice I'd threaten to crawl up WVU's arse with a microscope and audit every bit of sports funding they've received.  That's what this is really about.  WVU wants their cut and they feel they're entitled to it.  They can't stand that we got state funding they did not, despite the greater need.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, herdfan93, svherd, herdorbust2

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 09:44:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One could argue that building the stadium is a step towards getting back to normal and getting people together, which could also be argued as fighting the effects of COVID. 

But if I was Justice I'd threaten to crawl up WVU's arse with a microscope and audit every bit of sports funding they've received.  That's what this is really about.  WVU wants their cut and they feel they're entitled to it.  They can't stand that we got state funding they did not, despite the greater need.

Audit WVU, the parasitic leeches on all things West Virginia

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, parshall2marshall, herdorbust2

Online whf

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 09:46:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I know for a fact that COVID funds have been used in a manner I personally find inappropriate, the definition of the wellbeing of a society is way beyond my scope. In my home town, they want(ed) to build an amphitheatre with the funds; a way to build community equity, equality and inclusion.  Get my drift. Plus,it would put people to work (as if we have anyone left who really wants to work still needing a job).

Anyway, I don't see this issue being more than a pain in the axx for Justice and MU.  Sure hope I'm right.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 09:47:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Eric Tarr makes disparaging remarks about Marshall on occasion.

He's an ass. Arrogant!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: pembrook burrows III, BigJimslade

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 09:54:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's an ass. Arrogant!

He graduated from UK and got a MBA from Charleston. You have to wonder why he went to Harvey High to get an MBA when wvu and MU offer MBA programs in Charleston. Both are much better programs than Harvey high.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 09:57:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why I have always hated WVU. I will never cheer for anything that has their logo on it.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, forphase1, parshall2marshall, svherd, herddds, HerdSection113, coalherd

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 10:40:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I indirectly deal with Eric Tarr and I can tell you I am not impressed. Tarr is very smart, but he is basically a front man for outside interest who want the laws for their favor. This is also a personal battle for him against Justice. The two men do not like each other and Tarr feels Justice has made it tough to get his (and outsiders) agenda through.

Randy Smith is nothing but a mouthpiece for WVU.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 10:46:37 AM by MidlandKnight »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2

Offline bighat

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very arrogant and a WVU supporter.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I indirectly deal with Eric Tarr and I can tell you I am not impressed. Tarr is very smart, but he is basically a front man for outside interest who want the laws for their favor. This is also a personal battle for him against Justice. The two men do not like each other and Tarr feels Justice has made it tough to get his (and outsiders) agenda through.

Randy Smith is nothing but a mouthpiece for WVU.

Surprise, surprise a senator (Smith) representing Monongalia County is questioning the expenditure along with Tarr. Link to an article about the issue.

Senators ask how $28 million in covid money went first to governor?s fund and then to baseball project
    https://wvmetronews.com/2023/02/03/senators-ask-how-28-million-in-covid-money-went-first-to-governors-fund-and-then-to-baseball-project/

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 12:50:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Surprise, surprise a senator (Smith) representing Monongalia County is questioning the expenditure along with Tarr. Link to an article about the issue.

Senators ask how $28 million in covid money went first to governor?s fund and then to baseball project
    https://wvmetronews.com/2023/02/03/senators-ask-how-28-million-in-covid-money-went-first-to-governors-fund-and-then-to-baseball-project/

F those trash bags

Go Herd!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 12:50:04 PM »

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 01:34:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This Baseball stadium thing has been a joke since forever as is Justice

I don?t know of anyone that is clamoring for this thing to be built

Most are only barely lukewarm about it

Who cares if it is ever constructed

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Then it?s obvious you have never been to a good college baseball game.  One of the few sports the NCAA hasn?t screwed up yet. 

The following users thanked this post: HerdSection113

Offline svherd

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 02:05:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You need to team up with Nick Freidlin, Hessler and the other losers at the HD and write daily letters about how it's a waste of time and money. Do you get out of mommies basement much?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline coalherd

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 02:30:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why I have always hated WVU. I will never cheer for anything that has their logo on it.

And if this money had gone to a similar project at WVU, bust, there would have been absolutely ZERO controversy about it and maybe just a very small blurb of an article on page 12 at the bottom of the Gagzette!  Remember when the Henderson Center was being planned and about to be constructed our State Government said there wasn't enough available $$$$ to construct it as originally planned, you know, with an air-conditioned arena, around 11 to 12 thousand seats, etc., etc.  Yet roughly in the same time period, in one of the Jay-bird Rockefeller Administrations, somehow our same State Government minions "found" enough State funds to significantly expand Mountaineer Field up in the Hole.  I've despised that slimy, tall carpetbagger POS from New Yawk ever since!!
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:32:24 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, svherd

Offline beau42m

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 03:38:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very arrogant and a WVU supporter.
    As are many in our state of 1.8 million. I'm sure this is just starting for Jim Justice and the future of the proposed baseball stadium at Marshall. Also, I can't believe that there was not more oversight on the BOG's previous purchase of the 24rd St property for the stadium for millions of taxpayer dollars. Later, it was discovered that the property was contaminated with old chemicals, and thus the cleanup cost would have been too great. Also, next time you initiate alcohol sales in a taxpayer funded school arena at Marshall, please perform due diligence about the legal ramifications regarding the structural safety measures present or absent at said arena. I'm a taxpayer and now I can't attend a game at this arena due to decreased capacity related to what should have been an easily corrected safety measure.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 04:25:58 PM by beau42m »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 04:35:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As are many in our state of 1.8 million. I'm sure this is just starting for Jim Justice and the future of the proposed baseball stadium at Marshall. Also, I can't believe that there was not more oversight on the BOG's previous purchase of the 24rd St property for the stadium for millions of taxpayer dollars. Later, it was discovered that the property was contaminated with old chemicals, and thus the cleanup cost would have been too great. Also, next time you initiate alcohol sales in a taxpayer funded school arena at Marshall, please perform due diligence about the legal ramifications regarding the structural safety measures present or absent at said arena. I'm a taxpayer and now I can't attend a game at this arena due to decreased capacity related to what should have been an easily corrected safety measure.

Some information for you, the below article says the City of Huntington purchased the property. Sorry about you not being able to attend the basketball games. It might be a smart move to  purchase season tickets for next year?

"HUNTINGTON ? A new baseball stadium for Marshall University became one huge step closer to reality Thursday with the announced purchase of land from the Flint Pigments Group.
    Marshall and City of Huntington officials announced the $750,000 purchase, which took place Friday, during an event at the site on the north side of 5th Avenue and 24th Street. The first $500,000 used to buy the property came via Huntington's winnings from the America's Best Communities Competition in 2017. An additional $250,000 came from the Huntington Municipal Development Authority.
    https://www.herald-dispatch.com/_zapp/marshall-announces-land-purchase-for-baseball-stadium/article_c7f88d90-3623-11e9-8532-13e3fea08baf.html

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• All American
    • Former Football Student Manager 2002-2004
    « Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 05:11:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some information for you, the below article says the City of Huntington purchased the property. Sorry about you not being able to attend the basketball games. It might be a smart move to  purchase season tickets for next year?

"HUNTINGTON ? A new baseball stadium for Marshall University became one huge step closer to reality Thursday with the announced purchase of land from the Flint Pigments Group.
    Marshall and City of Huntington officials announced the $750,000 purchase, which took place Friday, during an event at the site on the north side of 5th Avenue and 24th Street. The first $500,000 used to buy the property came via Huntington's winnings from the America's Best Communities Competition in 2017. An additional $250,000 came from the Huntington Municipal Development Authority.
    https://www.herald-dispatch.com/_zapp/marshall-announces-land-purchase-for-baseball-stadium/article_c7f88d90-3623-11e9-8532-13e3fea08baf.html

This was the old  site,  new site is north of 3rd avenue.
    Knightdale NC

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 05:20:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • no use of that $ was more of a waste than all the $ he spent giving away trinkets to bribe people to get a shot that did NOTHING to stop the SPREAD of the china virus -- THAT was the biggest waste of that $

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline svherd

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 05:51:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As are many in our state of 1.8 million. I'm sure this is just starting for Jim Justice and the future of the proposed baseball stadium at Marshall. Also, I can't believe that there was not more oversight on the BOG's previous purchase of the 24rd St property for the stadium for millions of taxpayer dollars. Later, it was discovered that the property was contaminated with old chemicals, and thus the cleanup cost would have been too great. Also, next time you initiate alcohol sales in a taxpayer funded school arena at Marshall, please perform due diligence about the legal ramifications regarding the structural safety measures present or absent at said arena. I'm a taxpayer and now I can't attend a game at this arena due to decreased capacity related to what should have been an easily corrected safety measure.

I think our AD at the time totally failed in his due diligence in everything about the process. Poorly thought out bid process, poor communication with the local utilities and lack of fundraising for the stadium project.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: D1

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This was the old  site,  new site is north of 3rd avenue.

You might want to go back and review the previous posts.  We were talking about the original location of the park; the problems and the cost of the land.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »

Online herd2win

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The baseball field might be the only thing to come out positive from Corona.  The more info that comes out about Covid the worse the corruption is.  I can say that I never liked government but now I have lost all faith and trust. 

WVU has received so much money over the years that this is just a drop in the bucket.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herddds, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline goherd73

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 06:07:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •   I'm a taxpayer and now I can't attend a game at this arena due to decreased capacity related to what should have been an easily corrected safety measure.

So you waited until the last two Sat night games sold out before you tried to get a ticket so you could complain?

You missed the previous 15 or so home games that were NOT sold out?

Better get tickets now for the games on the 16th and 18th or you could wait until they sell out so you can complain more.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 08:58:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My understanding is that the $ is already appropriated and this legislative questioning is for potential future limitations on the Governor?s powers or ethics probes
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 08:58:21 PM »