Author Topic: All teams in both Men and Women's Basketball to play Equity and Inclusion games.  (Read 677 times)

Offline whf

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2023/2/2/mens-basketball-sun-belt-conference-basketball-programs-to-host-equity-inclusion-games.aspx

So much for it only being the ladies;  caution to all this as enough politics may be enough politics sooner than later.

The Alumni Association has even gone to this WOKE stuff, just read their banner, mantra, etc. now. 

Saw a thing on TV the other day from the late 60s, basically said that athletes and athletics gets attention, so take the fight to these arenas. Here we are sixty years later, same stuff.

What happened to our right to just watch the games and root for the athletes?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't see LGBTQ listed. That is the one that will bring me to cancelling my tickets. Hope it doesn't happen.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan

Offline Pinkerton99

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, since we're playing app state maybe we should take the opportunity to talk about the economic inequity present within Appalachia. Something tells me that isn't what they are looking for though.
    Note: I'm not Eric Pinkerton.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline miltonherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't see LGBTQ listed. That is the one that will bring me to cancelling my tickets. Hope it doesn't happen.

I noticed that as well. But in yesterdays email promo from the AD, tonites game is being billed as "diversity, inclusion, & -- in rainbow colors -- pride night."

SBC press release said diversity, inclusion, & equity; MU says diversity, inclusion, & pride.

Offline MUsince96

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, since we're playing app state maybe we should take the opportunity to talk about the economic inequity present within Appalachia. Something tells me that isn't what they are looking for though.

LOL. Reminds me of this comedy bit. (Some language)

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheoVon/comments/whog4w/somebody_else_has_both_our_shit_and_theyre/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 06:23:40 PM by MUsince96 »

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I noticed that as well. But in yesterdays email promo from the AD, tonites game is being billed as "diversity, inclusion, & -- in rainbow colors -- pride night."

SBC press release said diversity, inclusion, & equity; MU says diversity, inclusion, & pride.

It's coming eventually and when it does I hope they can't get 500 at a game.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, miltonherdfan

Offline wesnky

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When people stop donating and buying tickets due to politics and political values , in what was only a sports sole environment for entertainment and fun, it might wake up the decision makers.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, miltonherdfan

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look at all the snowflakes in this thread worried about rainbows and love instead of talking about our basketball team kicking ass right now.

Offline Gaylen

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • frankly, and this is a neandrathal thought by me, i could give a damn one way or the other.

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look at all the snowflakes in this thread worried about rainbows and love instead of talking about our basketball team kicking ass right now.

Snowflake lmao!!!! We aren't the ones begging for that sickness everywhere.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, VA Herd Fan

Offline miltonherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We aren't the 1s screaming, "look at me!" & asking govts & institutions to force people to celebrate our existence bc we don't feel loved.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snowflake lmao!!!! We aren't the ones begging for that sickness everywhere.

Refusing to attend a basketball game because you might see some rainbows or some positive messages about gay people is the definition of snowflake behavior.

If you're not a snowflake, go to the game and voice your opinion to Kinsey about how he's part of the "sickness"

HerdFans.com

Offline miltonherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • go to the game and voice your opinion to Kinsey about how he's part of the "sickness"

What's Kinsey have to do with anything?

Offline Mako

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good lord.  Could you little tender hurt feeling middle schoolers whine a bit more? 
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

Offline BraveSaintStuart

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good news everyone! You can still just go to the game and just root for the athletes. As it turns out, no one is forcing you to pay attention to any of the rest of it. The last time I was in town, my son was asked to be "Herd kid of the game" and my wife was asked to take part in a "Head to Head", both of which took part in between the action of the game. I wonder how many Herd fans paid attention. Chances are, if you really don't want to acknowledge LGBTQ+ persons, a pride night at a basketball game won't force you to.

Offline Herdalum83

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just want to know what mythical period of time you all are talking about where Sports didn't intersect with social issues and politics.

Offline DC01HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gays against Groomers. Don't tell a twelve year old boy to cut his weenie off or tell a girl to cut her tits off. That's the issue.

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this includes the alphabet group then I?m done with Marshall sports for good. It?s bad enough it?s even happening but I can look past the organizations signed up with the SBC.

Sucks as I go to multiple games per year in both football and basketball. I won?t even watch on TV anymore if this is woke direction they choose to go.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline miltonherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just want to know what mythical period of time you all are talking about where Sports didn't intersect with social issues and politics.

you care to give us an example?  b/w 2000-2022, in what way did marshall BB or FB incorporate social issues & politics into the gameday experience?

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• you care to give us an example?  b/w 2000-2022, in what way did marshall BB or FB incorporate social issues & politics into the gameday experience?

Can?t because it didn?t happen. Sports are fun because it?s a small break from politics.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline Herdalum83

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can?t because it didn?t happen. Sports are fun because it?s a small break from politics.

Spectator Sports, quite literally from the dawn of their creation have been intertwined with politics and social issues. That is absolutely the truth, whether you acknowledge it or not. The first sports stadiums were built as a way for the rulers of Ancient Greece and Rome to hold events in order to gain political favor from the people. They were a political tool.

https://historyinpolitics.org/2021/03/06/the-colosseum-a-political-tool/

In more modern times in America sports and politics intertwining has also been a constant. I mean there are literally thousands of examples. To sit and list them all would take all day. So, I'll just share a few links.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2014/12/ten_examples_of_when_sports_an_1.html

https://www.legacy.com/news/culture-and-history/the-long-loud-history-of-sports-and-politics-in-66-pictures/

That was my point, that sports having political and social undertones is not a new phenomenon, I wasn't specifically talking about Marshall but sports in general because so many people in this post act as if sports have NEVER mixed with the political climate and social climate of the time. Even though they literally always have.

As for specific examples at Marshall University or  Thundering Herd players making political or social statements between 2000-2022 well there are a few of those as well.

https://www.wboy.com/news/local-news/west-virginia-local-news/students-to-hold-title-ix-protest-at-marshall-university/

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/marshall-football-players-come-together-to-protest-police-brutality/article_8a2f09be-e32b-5294-925f-b0a4fe30326c.html

https://thedraftnetwork.com/marshall-football-black-lives-matter/

A quote from that article "Marshall became the first school to have a public demonstration during workouts."

https://www.marshall.edu/news/2015/11/12/founder-of-athlete-ally-to-discuss-importance-of-lgbt-inclusion-in-sports-monday-nov-16/

In 2015 Marshall had a Gay Rights Activist to come in and speak to its student-athletes. Here is a quote from that article.

"This will be Taylor?s first visit to Marshall University, according to Aaron Goebbel, assistant athletic director of external affairs.

"Mr. Taylor has competed at the highest level of collegiate athletics in his respective sport and to have someone with his knowledge of the athletics environment come to Marshall as an ambassador to educate our athletes about LGBT inclusion is tremendous,? Goebbel said. ?Educating our student-athletes about various social topics, especially one as prevalent as the perception of the LGBT community in sport, is all part of the student-athlete process as we prepare our young men and women to be at their best when their playing careers are complete."

I'm sure there are more examples, if someone really, really wanted to dig for them.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:46:31 AM by Herdalum83 »

Online marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anything any of us can do - including Marshall University - to educate and encourage tolerance, acceptance and inclusion is ok by me.  Kids are so much more accepting than my generation as evidenced by this thread. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anything any of us can do - including Marshall University - to educate and encourage tolerance, acceptance and inclusion is ok by me.  Kids are so much more accepting than my generation as evidenced by this thread.

Oh PAH-LEAZE! The group you are defending is the most intolerant, unaccepting, non inclusive, bigoted, and hateful group on the face of the planet. They want anyone who doesn't agree with them canceled, fired, ostracized, criminalized, banned, and shamed. If they can't force their wacked out thinking into every part of society they say YOU have a problem and "aren't accepting". That is why these things creep into every part of society like at sporting events. One group asks to promote their lunacy...and if they are turned down they will publicly terrorize and shame the institution saying they weren't "inclusive and tolerant". Sounds so loving doesnt it?

Look at all the snowflakes in this thread worried about rainbows and love instead of talking about our basketball team kicking ass right now.

"Love." You guys are totally brainwashed. The average person in that lifestyle literally has 20-30 times the partners of a heterosexual. That is a FACT. Double would be a lot. Triple the number is crazy. Quadruple is insane. 10 times is unfathomable. But 20 times...20-30 times!!! It's not about love bro.

And you guys that are "it's just a rainbow blah blah blah...you don't have to pay attention to it". Ok let's have Nazi Night. Or KKK night. I mean the Swastika is just a shape. KKK are just letters. What are you afraid of? I mean you don't have to pay attention to it. No, it's obviously the meaning behind things that is unacceptable, right?

And yes sports outside of a few moments here and there prior to 2010 were pretty much politic free which was great. We can all pick out exceptions...but for the most part there wasn't a constant barrage of one morally bankrupt crowd telling us what we should all care about and accept.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh PAH-LEAZE! The group you are defending is the most intolerant, unaccepting, non inclusive, bigoted, and hateful group on the face of the planet. They want anyone who doesn't agree with them canceled, fired, ostracized, criminalized, banned, and shamed. If they can't force their wacked out thinking into every part of society they say YOU have a problem and "aren't accepting". That is why these things creep into every part of society like at sporting events. One group asks to promote their lunacy...and if they are turned down they will publicly terrorize and shame the institution saying they weren't "inclusive and tolerant". Sounds so loving doesnt it?

"Love." You guys are totally brainwashed. The average person in that lifestyle literally has 20-30 times the partners of a heterosexual. That is a FACT. Double would be a lot. Triple the number is crazy. Quadruple is insane. 10 times is unfathomable. But 20 times...20-30 times!!! It's not about love bro.

And you guys that are "it's just a rainbow blah blah blah...you don't have to pay attention to it". Ok let's have Nazi Night. Or KKK night. I mean the Swastika is just a shape. KKK are just letters. What are you afraid of? I mean you don't have to pay attention to it. No, it's obviously the meaning behind things that is unacceptable, right?

And yes sports outside of a few moments here and there prior to 2010 were pretty much politic free which was great. We can all pick out exceptions...but for the most part there wasn't a constant barrage of one morally bankrupt crowd telling us what we should all care about and accept.

The fact that you think those symbols are even on the same plane of existence with one another says a lot about you:

Nazi symbol: "We should murder millions of people we consider to be an inferior race and anyone who doesn't accept our narrow worldview."
    KKK symbol: "Black people are inferior and they should be lynched and/or forced into segregation."

Pride symbol: "Hey, maybe let consenting adults have sex with and marry who they want."

Who cares how many partners someone has? I know plenty of straight dudes and chicks whose numbers are in the 100's, and I know gay dudes and chicks in extremely committed relationships. I'm sure there is a correlation between being gay and having more partners because more traditional people are going to be more inclined to be purely monogamous. But again, who cares? Your religion and outdated views on sex don't get to govern mine or anybody else's behavior in this free country of ours.

And those of you talking about sports being politics free, what the hell are you smoking? Every single game Jackie Robinson played was "political" with fans and opponents calling him the N-word and worse. He played his entire career while debates raged on about whether or not he was human enough to drink from the same water fountain as other Americans. Every Muhammad Ali fight was "political." College teams turning down southern bowl games because their black teammates couldn't play was "political." John Carlos and Tommie Smith with the raised fist during the anthem at the 1968 Olympics is remembered as heroic but was of course political. Even chess of all things was treated as a battle for USA/USSR political supremacy during the Bobby Fischer/Boris Spassky era.

Gaining human rights shouldn't be "political," but the ones making it political are the ones butthurt about what others do with their butts. I'm not religious, but I don't start crying when I see John 3:16 signs at a game or when an athlete thanks god after a game. By your definition, that's "political" too.

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It's a sick and freak lifestyle that should be banned. These transgenders pushing these sex changes toward little kids are disgusting just like their lifestyle. And and man that wants to lay with another man is disgusting. YES I said it and not ashamed of it. I'll tell the world how disgusting it is. Pathetic!!!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com