Author Topic: WBB Pride Night 2/2/23  (Read 2024 times)

Offline miltonherdfan

WBB Pride Night 2/2/23
« on: February 01, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • think they'll try this at 1 of the remaining men's games??

HerdFans.com

WBB Pride Night 2/2/23
    « on: February 01, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »

Online marshallmark

Re: WBB Pride Night 2/2/23
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Absolutely fine if they want to. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline MUther

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 03:47:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would, tactfully, imagine there are more women of that persuasion playing a typically men's sport than there are men, by percentage.  And they would probably have more support from friends and family in the stands for such a night.  Right or wrong, you don't see that much in the middle of the Bible Belt.  I don't see it happening for the men's team, but like Mark said, if that's what they want, more power to them.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 04:18:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt they'll try anything at MBB or football that hurts the gate.

A WBB game is a safe place to pander without losing money.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 05:41:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Count me 100% turned off. Plus it promotes the existing stereotype of women's basketball.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Online herd2win

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why?  Keep sports sports and keep agendas, religion and politics out of it.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, goherd24

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 10:47:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is (bleep). If they start doing this on a continuous basis in any sport then I?m done with Marshall 100%.

If they do it a single time in football or men?s basketball then I?m done for good.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 11:15:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why?  Keep sports sports and keep agendas, religion and politics out of it.

I do understand the sentiment of wanting to keep sports merely as entertainment. However, sports have never been merely entertainment. From the dawn of spectator sports, they have always been tightly woven into the political climate of the times and its social issues.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline goherd24

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 01:26:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt they'll try anything at MBB or football that hurts the gate.

A WBB game is a safe place to pander without losing money.

Absolutely. I will not attend a price night.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 02:43:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Absolutely. I will not attend a price night.

Sober up bro

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 06:07:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's a fun thought. If everyone who did not support pride night pulled their NIL money do you think they'd have a pride night?

Welcome to a world where you the consumer are in charge and the kids are now the slaves to the system. Kids traded being able to express free thought for a buck. Being an employee is a different animal than a student.

Offline MUther

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 06:48:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's a fun thought. If everyone who did not support pride night pulled their NIL money do you think they'd have a pride night?

Welcome to a world where you the consumer are in charge and the kids are now the slaves to the system. Kids traded being able to express free thought for a buck. Being an employee is a different animal than a student.

Their alternative is not to take a dime and speak their minds.  It's their choice, not ours.  They're going to get paid, many of them much more than the median income.  They're choosing to be employees instead of students.  They absolutely should feel what that means and the repercussions that go with it.  In 3-4 years that's the world they will live in, anyway.  People that choose a trade or not to go to college start learning this lesson at 18.  Why do we treat college students so softly? 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 06:48:11 AM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 07:12:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think everyone should be welcome regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, or religion. And that's how it already is. You don't need a night that essentially celebrates who people want to rub genitals with. Imagine how weird it would sound if they marketed it like that?

What's next? A BLM night? What about Right to Life? Right to Choose? How about a Second Amendment night? Christian night? Can't forget the Muslim night. Throw in a Jewish night too.

Not to mention the awkward position you put your student athletes in who don't agree on the issues you decide to make themed nights.

Trying to cater to the blue side or the red side is just so self destructive when you're trying to make green ($)
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:19:58 AM by MUsince96 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, miltonherdfan

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 07:29:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Their alternative is not to take a dime and speak their minds.  It's their choice, not ours.  They're going to get paid, many of them much more than the median income.  They're choosing to be employees instead of students.  They absolutely should feel what that means and the repercussions that go with it.  In 3-4 years that's the world they will live in, anyway.  People that choose a trade or not to go to college start learning this lesson at 18.  Why do we treat college students so softly?

I'm in 100% agreement with you. My point is now consumers are in control more than ever. It used to be not show up to games to get a coach fired. Now it's hey your team wants to speak out on views that don't align? Sorry coach I'm going to pull NIL money. It's a bad look for our brand.

Kids being kids shortsighted themselves into a world they can't win.

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 09:25:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think everyone should be welcome regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, or religion. And that's how it already is. You don't need a night that essentially celebrates who people want to rub genitals with. Imagine how weird it would sound if they marketed it like that?

What's next? A BLM night? What about Right to Life? Right to Choose? How about a Second Amendment night? Christian night? Can't forget the Muslim night. Throw in a Jewish night too.

Not to mention the awkward position you put your student athletes in who don't agree on the issues you decide to make themed nights.

Trying to cater to the blue side or the red side is just so self destructive when you're trying to make green ($)
    Agree. Let "sports be sports" where people can come together and get away from all the left vs right issues. Why bring agenda's into sports entertainment? Nothing good comes of it.

That being said, if Marshall starts "going down that road" and publically pushing agenda's for things such as this, I will be out as a supporter. Not only for season tickets, but out for financial support from a Big Green perspective etc. If I know a portion of the money I spend for tickets and donate to the university goes to promote events like this then I am out. I'm sure others will do the same.

Best advice I can give is for Marshall to really tread lightly and really consider not pushing and promoting any agenda's during sporting events. Let sports be sports and move on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan93, MUsince96, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Online marshallmark

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's do away with Breast Cancer awareness month and wearing pink b/c that only supports women, plus it takes $$ away from cancers that more proportionately affect men.

Let's do away with anything celebrating Black History Month b/c, well obviously us white guys are offended.

Let's cancel all the celebrations of youth sports b/c I sucked at them and they make me feel bad.

And for gosh sakes, can we get away from the military and first responders appreciation days?  We shouldn't be celebrating anyone in uniform b/c they oppress people and take an inordinate amount of government funding that can better go toward social services.  And don't get me started on fly-overs.

My point?  Get over it.  I'm quite happy supporting LGBTQ people and have absolutely no problem with Marshall bringing attention to them and their issues.  Just like I have no problem honoring cancer survivors, African-Americans and their history, youth, military, first responders, etc.   If you have issues with the LGBTQ community, don't go to the event that day.  Don't attend a Pride parade.  Don't talk to an LGBTQ person.  Go ahead and pull that turtle shell over your head and stay there. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: gtrman4herd, GK4Herd, wasbarryb, herdthatandrew

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 09:59:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love apples to car tire arguments.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, herdfan129

Online marshallmark

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 10:02:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love apples to car tire arguments.

Not true.  The discussion started about WBB having a Pride Night.  All of the examples I gave were special "days" that Marshall has had.  If you think that LGBTQ issues are different b/c they're political, or religious, I'd point you to the history of white people dealing with blacks and segregating or oppressing them b/c of politics and religion.  Its no different in substance, just a different time in history. 

- E-Man

Online svherd

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 10:03:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm starting a chrome dome pride celebration day.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 10:08:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not true.  The discussion started about WBB having a Pride Night.  All of the examples I gave were special "days" that Marshall has had.  If you think that LGBTQ issues are different b/c they're political, or religious, I'd point you to the history of white people dealing with blacks and segregating or oppressing them b/c of politics and religion.  Its no different in substance, just a different time in history.

Youth sports, military, and first responders? Yeah, apples to car tires.

But since you're fine with Marshall taking a stand in identity politics would you complain about a Right to Life or Church night?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, 2xBison, svherd, herd33, herdfan129

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 10:10:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be my last day in the cam if the men do this.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

Online marshallmark

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 10:13:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Youth sports, military, and first responders? Yeah, apples to car tires.

But since you're fine with Marshall taking a stand in identity politics would you complain about a Right to Life or Church night?

Being LGBTQ is not a political position.  They have no more say in being LGBTQ than an African-American has in being black.  If you think otherwise, then do your research and move into the 21st century. 

And I noticed you didn't mention the Black History month, so you'd agree that's apples to apples? 

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 10:13:47 AM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 10:32:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Being LGBTQ is not a political position.  They have no more say in being LGBTQ than an African-American has in being black.  If you think otherwise, then do your research and move into the 21st century. 

And I noticed you didn't mention the Black History month, so you'd agree that's apples to apples?

No. Being black isn't an action. They can't change their skin color.

Now before you fly off the rails with "being lgbtq isn't a choice!"
    I'm not saying that. But if a gay person decides they don't want to perform those actions they have that ability. There are examples of people with feelings they just no longer want to act on. A trans person wasn't forced into a surgery. It was an action they took. I would agree they can't help the feelings they have. I'm not saying it's a choice to feel however they feel. And they should be treated with love and respect. But they do have a choice in what action to take with those feelings.

A black person can't decide not to live black.

Trying to equate being black with LGBTQ people is kind of offensive because it assumes there are no black conservatives or black people with religious convictions. That they're this political monolith that can be used wherever convenient.

So is a conservative issue you don't agree with cool for a themed night?
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 10:47:15 AM by MUsince96 »

Online marshallmark

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 11:00:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No. Being black isn't an action. They can't change their skin color.

Now before you fly off the rails with "being lgbtq isn't a choice!"
    I'm not saying that. But if a gay person decides they don't want to perform those actions they have that ability. There are examples of people with feelings they just no longer want to act on. A trans person wasn't forced into a surgery. It was an action they took. I would agree they can't help the feelings they have. I'm not saying it's a choice to feel however they feel. And they should be treated with love and respect. But they do have a choice in what action to take with those feelings.

A black person can't decide not to live black.

Trying to equate being black with LGBTQ people is kind of offensive because it assumes there are no black conservatives or black people with religious convictions. That they're this political monolith that can be used wherever convenient.

So is a conservative issue you don't agree with cool for a themed night?

Being gay isn't an action.  No one "chooses" to be gay. 

- E-Man

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 11:09:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's do away with Breast Cancer awareness month and wearing pink b/c that only supports women, plus it takes $$ away from cancers that more proportionately affect men.

Let's do away with anything celebrating Black History Month b/c, well obviously us white guys are offended.

Let's cancel all the celebrations of youth sports b/c I sucked at them and they make me feel bad.

And for gosh sakes, can we get away from the military and first responders appreciation days?  We shouldn't be celebrating anyone in uniform b/c they oppress people and take an inordinate amount of government funding that can better go toward social services.  And don't get me started on fly-overs.

My point?  Get over it.  I'm quite happy supporting LGBTQ people and have absolutely no problem with Marshall bringing attention to them and their issues.  Just like I have no problem honoring cancer survivors, African-Americans and their history, youth, military, first responders, etc.   If you have issues with the LGBTQ community, don't go to the event that day.  Don't attend a Pride parade.  Don't talk to an LGBTQ person.  Go ahead and pull that turtle shell over your head and stay there.

As far as I'm concerned far too many people in this world, and on this board, spend far too much time worrying about what other people do and far too little time worrying about their own actions.

The world would be a far better place if we made sure we were living life the way we think we should and let other people do the same.

The following users thanked this post: gtrman4herd, svherd, HerdsHerd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 11:09:39 AM »