Author Topic: Anyone watching Bills/ Bengals?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline herdorbust2

Anyone watching Bills/ Bengals?
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:08:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bills player made a tackle and got up then collapsed. Been doing CPR for last few minutes. Very scary situation on the field.

HerdFans.com

Anyone watching Bills/ Bengals?
    « on: January 02, 2023, 09:08:24 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

Re: Anyone watching Bills/ Bengals?
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 09:20:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Game temporarily suspended. Never seen anything as scary as this in a game. I pray this kid is ok but the Bills players seem to be devastated.

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 09:28:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Game temporarily suspended. Never seen anything as scary as this in a game. I pray this kid is ok but the Bills players seem to be devastated.

Christian Eriksen, a Danish soccer player, had a heart attack during a game a year and a half ago

Medics saved him and he's playing again at highest level which is nothing short of amazing

Hopefully this guy survives as well as I'm guessing heart attack or aneurysm

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, herdorbust2

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 09:30:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Yep.  Sad and shocking.  I hope he survived/survives.  Don't know how this game goes forward. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 09:33:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope the NFL cares about the players. 

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 09:37:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Bengals announcers felt if the news is bad the game would be stopped.  If they were to play tonight, that would mean the player is in stable condition.  No game is worth a life.  Wonder if he had a heart problem?  Always think of Hank Gathers.

Sad...prayers for the player!
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MicDrass1

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 09:40:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Bengals announcers felt if the news is bad the game would be stopped.  If they were to play tonight, that would mean the player is in stable condition.  No game is worth a life.  Wonder if he had a heart problem?  Always think of Hank Gathers.

It looked like the reciever hit him in the chest and up Nader the chin. He got up and then totally collapsed and fell straight backwards.

Offline Olen

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 09:51:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Hamlin's collapse was reminiscent of Gathers (shocking and frightening).

Shayne Graham (former VT and NFL kicker) posted in Pat McAfee's twitter feed that something similar happened to a kid at his high school - innocuous hit that caused the kid's heart to get out of rhythm, leading to collapse, etc. 

Prayers that this young man makes a miraculous recovery. 

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88, The E-Man

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 09:55:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It looked like the receiver hit him in the chest and up Nader the chin. He got up and then totally collapsed and fell straight backwards.

Looked like a normal hit...wonder if he had some type of unknown birth defect?  With all of the physicals/care this players receive, I would have thought something like that would've been discovered.

Bills are putting up their equipment.

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 09:56:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nothing official yet but equipment being removed from field. Word out of Cincy was he had a pulse but was not breathing on his own. Thats strictly second handed.

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 10:01:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Game officially suspended

Online herdfan429

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 10:14:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Possibly something called commotio cordis. An impact to the heart happens at a particular split second in the heart beat cycle. This looks text book. Person gets up stumbles a step or two then collapses. Hopefully with the quick cpr/aed use he will survive

The following users thanked this post: scherd, Stripeshrt, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 10:14:46 PM »

Offline Olen

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 10:19:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Possibly something called commotio cordis. An impact to the heart happens at a particular split second in the heart beat cycle. This looks text book. Person gets up stumbles a step or two then collapses. Hopefully with the quick cpr/aed use he will survive

In response to Shayne Graham's post, someone mentioned commotio cordis.  In the last decade, survival has improved to about 60%, not quite double from the 34% survival as compared to data from 1993-2012.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 10:19:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hamlin's collapse was reminiscent of Gathers (shocking and frightening).

Shayne Graham (former VT and NFL kicker) posted in Pat McAfee's twitter feed that something similar happened to a kid at his high school - innocuous hit that caused the kid's heart to get out of rhythm, leading to collapse, etc. 

Prayers that this young man makes a miraculous recovery.

Off, but on-topic, and granted Hank Gathers never comes up in conversation, but ESPN did a great short a couple years back on him. It's four minutes and worth the watch, and the tears.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 10:22:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Prayers for this young man and his family. I have never seen anything like this.

The following users thanked this post: scherd, mr_ash_1995, herdorbust2

Online herdfan429

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 10:31:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In response to Shayne Graham's post, someone mentioned commotio cordis.  In the last decade, survival has improved to about 60%, not quite double from the 34% survival as compared to data from 1993-2012.

Yes luckily that survival rate has climbed up because of those rapid interventions like cpr and aed use

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 10:31:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Prayers for this young man and his family. I have never seen anything like this.

Besides Hank Gathers, the umpire that passed on Reds opening day...circa 1996.  His name was John McSherry. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline chris88

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 10:56:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think that is what is likely based on what I heard. He has been intubated at hospital and has a pulse.  They did CPR/AED for 10 minutes on field. I pray he is not brain dead or something like that. Scary for sure. I was just across river at work when McSherry collapsed. Many fellow employees at that opening day game. Surreal for sure.

Pray he is ok.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Olen

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 11:00:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Off, but on-topic, and granted Hank Gathers never comes up in conversation, but ESPN did a great short a couple years back on him. It's four minutes and worth the watch, and the tears.

At that time (from 1985-1991), I was an absolute college basketball junkie.  I watched every game ESPN telecast and would watch the daytime replays when school was out for snow etc.  And I was enamored by Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble's story -- from Philly to the west coast (first to USC and then to Loyola-Marymount under Paul Westhead).  Gathers put up unbelievable numbers in both points and rebounds. 

There is a 30-for-30 - the Guru of Go - which is a mix focus on Westhead's fast-pace offense, the Kimble/Gathers storyline, the death of Gathers, and the aftermath.  It is excellent - if not extraordinarily sad. 

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, GK4Herd, chris88

Offline Olen

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Besides Hank Gathers, the umpire that passed on Reds opening day...circa 1996.  His name was John McSherry.

Like the Gathers incident, there is video of the John McSherry event.  McSherry was one of the most respect umpires in baseball.  McSherry was a large man and had prior events, but ultimately his weight contributed to his death.  I remember that event - the video of Ray Knight and some of the Reds players was sobering.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2023, 11:15:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys really need to look at the Vaers report. This has been happening all over the world especially in soccer.  The media is suppressing it.

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, Big Ol' Hillbilly

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2023, 11:49:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys really need to look at the Vaers report. This has been happening all over the world especially in soccer.  The media is suppressing it.

Gtfo with your conspiracy nonsense.

What happened to Hamlin was almost certainly commotio cordis, which is a blunt force trauma injury that happens with a hit to the chest in the exact wrong spot at the exact wrong time. Has nothing to do with a heart condition or supposed vaccine side effects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2023, 11:49:29 PM »

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 07:05:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If some of you old timers rememberin 19175 or 1976 the Herd played at Akron and knocked their TE out of bounds on a routine play. He remained on the sideline and was taken to the hospital. It happened right in front of us. At the end of the third quarter some drunk Akron students came by 'yelling we are kill one of yours caused you killed ours'. I thought he was talking about the TE being injured and out of the game. Didn't know he died until later on--well after the game.

I wonder if the NFL will start the game when played from the time where the injury ended it. The Bengals had a 7-3 lead and were driving.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline puma

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2023, 08:05:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A middle schooler in Huntington went into cardiac arrest during basketball practice a few weeks ago and had to be given CPR by his principal. Our tickers can be fragile things and it really shows when this sort of stuff happens to young and physically fit people.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2023, 01:11:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A middle schooler in Huntington went into cardiac arrest during basketball practice a few weeks ago and had to be given CPR by his principal. Our tickers can be fragile things and it really shows when this sort of stuff happens to young and physically fit people.

I hope the kid survived. My best friend from childhood died doing a basketball pickup game he was only 28. My friend went into cardiac arrest and before the medics arrived he was gone. It hit me hard, because we were extremely close and more like brothers.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2023, 01:11:57 PM »