Author Topic: MU vs JMU Game thread  (Read 2638 times)

Offline coalherd

Re: MU vs JMU Game thread
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2023, 01:08:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How??? Was just beat AT HOME by a team who didn?t even have their best player and leading scorer. And you really do post some head scratching sh!t on the SBC board that isn?t well received by other Herd fans on there. Then on here you want to call posters out but then get p!ssy when they tear into your @ss. Maybe change your attitude on here and the SBC board and get behind coach Huff too.

Exactly.  Danny said we were essentially beaten by their "physicality" and their depth, since their bench outscored us 38-5!!  Well, to expound on the "depth" issue, and your comment, just read on the H-D Media write-up that JMU played the game without their Leading scorer, Vedo Morse, out with an illness, as well as one other player!  Yes, we were without Fricks.  But pretty clear, that in year 3, IIRC, perhaps 4, as Head Coach at JMU, Coach Byington has certainly recruited more quality depth as it stands right now, than Danny D. has currently at MU, in his 9th season.  Someone needs to start holding him ACCOUNTABLE for the serious flaws in his program, like his failure to replace his recruiting mistakes, misses, or whatever you want to call them. We can't constantly be playing with so many new, inexperienced players at critical positions year after year.  Then have him say in post-game comments that "depth, experience, etc.", are the reasons for losing.  He can't be Mr. "Nice Guy", buddy-buddy in every case when it comes to some personnel issues.  Frankly, he doesn't seem to have the required temperament, hard-nosed at times, to make the real difficult management decisions that being a D-1 Head Basketball Coach requires at times.  May be wrong, but looking at his total body of work, record, etc., in his NINETH Season, don't believe I am TOTALLY off the mark, if at all.
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:10:37 AM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2023, 01:08:16 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2023, 03:32:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How??? Was just beat AT HOME by a team who didn?t even have their best player and leading scorer. And you really do post some head scratching sh!t on the SBC board that isn?t well received by other Herd fans on there. Then on here you want to call posters out but then get p!ssy when they tear into your @ss. Maybe change your attitude on here and the SBC board and get behind coach Huff too.

What head scratching %^&*? Pray tell? And get pissy? I've actually held myself back very well, with the untactful personal attacks that have been used, and taken the high road. Change my attitude? Lol good grief. Anyway, the agenda comes out when cosch huff comes up. The good ole boy hamrick and doc club us still out there.

We are clearly better than we played against JMU. And we'll be fine when we play them again. The unpredictability of college basketball is just that. You never know who is gonna bring their A game. If we brought it, we beat JMU easily. Of course we aren't going to beat them missing open 3s and half our free throws, etc. I still don't see a way we don't finish in first in the sunbelt. Let's see what happens in a couple months.
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 03:38:31 AM by goherd24 »

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2023, 06:22:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall is 12-3, 1-1 in the SBC. Marshall shot uncharacteristically bad. Depth played into that.

JMU is going to be very good on Saturdays this year. The back end of the weekend. But they are flawed, too. They just happened to shoot well enough to win. They turned the ball over a lot.

My point?  JMU is another good team in the league. I still think Marshall can go anywhere from 12-6 to 15-3 in league play. It's still going to be a fun season.

Enjoy it. Winning is fun.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, The E-Man, HoPPy785, herdorbust2

Online BraveSaintStuart

« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2023, 09:28:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To me, yesterday came down to shots just not falling. I felt like we got timid on the three. Curfman shot what... 1/3? Connor refused to shoot. Just not a lot of opportunities and not a lot of rhythm. Credit to JMU for disrupting that. Any time we got any momentum, they shut it down.

Foul shooting was just atrocious, also. We make our foul shots, we probably win the game.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdorbust2

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2023, 12:54:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We got beat by the better team yesterday. They were quicker and a little more athletic than us. I seen so many smaller JMU guards score inside near the rim. Handlogten is good, but he's going to have to learn to not go so much for the first head fake. JMU played very good defense and was very quick guarding us. We didn't shoot well from the floor and free throw line. We will learn from this loss and use our strengths next time against this explosive team, the Dukes were averaging almost 90 points a game. I hated to lose, but I'd rather get better and be prepared next time we meet.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2023, 04:33:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well said, E-Man.  Herd needs to put this game behind them, get ready for first league road game at GA Southern, who went 2-0 this past week.  Get a W there then back home for another afternoon contest on Saturday.  HERD can get back in the League race quickly!  Till then, they need to work on their FOUL SHOOTING!  Hopefully, today some/many of the players are over in the Rec Center, CAM, shooting a couple hundred foul shots apiece!  Only way to improve in that aspect of the game is repetition!!  GO HERD!!!!!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Online Herdalum83

« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2023, 11:15:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, that's what the coaches are for.

I do agree that Coaches should be working on foul shooting and emphasizing it, however, at a certain point players have to also be accountable. Free throw shooting is a skill anyone can get better at if they are willing to put the time into it. It doesn't take a coach or a teammate to go hit a gym and put up 100 to 500 free throws every day. When you struggle that much at it, you should be doing it on your own.

I haven't played serious competitive basketball in about 16 years, I still shoot between 800-1000 free throws a week just as part of my normal gym routine. If these guys want to get better at the line it is as much on them as it is any of the coaches.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Online BraveSaintStuart

« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2023, 10:26:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And sometimes you just have a bad game. I think the law of averages suggest that we won't likely continue to see FT percentages suffer like that going forward. Certainly hope not.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2023, 10:26:07 PM »