Author Topic: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...  (Read 5841 times)

Offline mr_ash_1995

Re: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's and today...
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But, I love playing these old records. Brings back memories of listening to 78's with my mom and dad.

Dad had "Heartbreak Hotel" on a 78...sadly, it was broken.   :-[
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am reading a book about Buddy Holley.  That was Rock and Roll.  He died too young.  One thing about him he tithed to his church and so did members of his band.

The story goes that the Quarrymen got the idea for their famous name from Buddy Holly and the Crickets. They tried several insect names and decided on the Beetles and thought Beatles would be more appropriate.

Buddy was a huge influence on the Beatles and their first record was “That’ll Be The Day” in 1958!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R4_LMMKq8Hw

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, biggreenarms, The E-Man

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On a different thread I've posted some songs from my 13 year old grandson's band The Red Sun in Houston. (he sings and plays guitar)  Here is a full show.  Notice how diverse their songs and music are.  Remember, they are only 13.

&feature=youtu.be

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms, Big Ol' Hillbilly, The E-Man

Offline bighat

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The book talks about the connection with the Beatles.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The book talks about the connection with the Beatles.

This is very interesting.  I never fully comprehended Buffalo Bop's post until Big Hat's post made me go back and re-read it.  Makes a lot of sense now how they came up with the name The Beetles, then finally The Beatles.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• For you jazz lovers. . .Now I can see where Jerry Lee Lewis got his style.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline bighat

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to a concert with Lindsay Blair's sister Tom Jones, Peter and Gordon concert and I worked at Riverside.  The Riverside dances were packed.  I thumbed to the Greenbrier dances. Those were great music years.  There was another band that were regulars that were from Ashland, KY.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I consume a lot of music and listen to many genres. I've listed some of the bands in my playlist. Would be interested to know if anyone else here likes any listed.

Blues/Jam Band- Joe Bonamassa, Doyle Bramhall II, Tab Benoit, Derek Trucks (Tedeschi Trucks), Marcus King Band, Mato Nanji (Indigenous), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ian Moore, Goverment Mule, Warren Haynes, Allman Bros

ArtRock/Prog - Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Riverside, Lunatic Soul, Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, Rush, Alan Parson Project

Funk/Soul- Sly and Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, AWB, Prince, Jamiroqua, Kool and the Gang, Curtis Mayfield, Brothers Johnson.

Classic Rock/Souther Rock/Rock - ACDC, Zep, Aerosmith (70s era), Cry Of Love, ZZ Top (70s era), Ratt, Bad Co., Priest (70s era), Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Skynyrd, Alter Bridge, Robin Trower, Thin Lizzy

Guilty Pleasures - Hall and Oates, Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo, Yacht Rock.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Pickin' the fire out of the guitar!

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2019, 05:25:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I consume a lot of music and listen to many genres. I've listed some of the bands in my playlist. Would be interested to know if anyone else here likes any listed.

Blues/Jam Band- Joe Bonamassa, Doyle Bramhall II, Tab Benoit, Derek Trucks (Tedeschi Trucks), Marcus King Band, Mato Nanji (Indigenous), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ian Moore, Goverment Mule, Warren Haynes, Allman Bros

ArtRock/Prog - Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Riverside, Lunatic Soul, Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, Rush, Alan Parson Project

Funk/Soul- Sly and Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, AWB, Prince, Jamiroqua, Kool and the Gang, Curtis Mayfield, Brothers Johnson.

Classic Rock/Souther Rock/Rock - ACDC, Zep, Aerosmith (70s era), Cry Of Love, ZZ Top (70s era), Ratt, Bad Co., Priest (70s era), Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Skynyrd, Alter Bridge, Robin Trower, Thin Lizzy

Guilty Pleasures - Hall and Oates, Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo, Yacht Rock.

Not many people I know listen to Robin Trower. First song I heard by him was Too Rolling Stoned. Was hooked from the point on.

My playlist is also eclectic. Right now, it is mainly Jazz like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and others. But, when I need it, Hendrix is there along with rockers, just to keep things honest. My wife tells everyone she never knows what to expect to hear when we travel. I keep it interesting.

Offline bighat

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The other band at Riverside from Ashland, Ky was the Fugitives.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #61 on: December 07, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not many people I know listen to Robin Trower. First song I heard by him was Too Rolling Stoned. Was hooked from the point on.

My playlist is also eclectic. Right now, it is mainly Jazz like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and others. But, when I need it, Hendrix is there along with rockers, just to keep things honest. My wife tells everyone she never knows what to expect to hear when we travel. I keep it interesting.

I'm a huge Trower fan and have been since I was a young teen. He's actually gotten better with time and is currently working on a new album that will include another US tour. He not only writes all his material and sings but also is the artist behind his album covers. Although his vocals are not his strength they fit his style. Many misidentify him as a Hendrix clone because he uses a Deja Vibe and Wah but he really has a style all his own. He can still bring it fluidly and fluently and is one of my all time top 5 guitar influences for my own playing. If you haven't done so be sure to check out his last few albums. Bop will like who he says was his influence in this short interview.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2019, 08:40:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's 3 songs from grandson.  He's getting pretty good and still only 13.  Here he is performing at Houston ScreamFest.

&feature=youtu.be

Online The E-Man

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2019, 01:08:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's 3 songs from grandson.  He's getting pretty good and still only 13.  Here he is performing at Houston ScreamFest.

&feature=youtu.be

Your grandson and his group are getting better.. I hope they stay with it music sounds great..

The following users thanked this post: QuickStrike

Online The E-Man

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just read Huey Lewis of Huey Lewis and the News, contemplated committing suicide after suffering from hearing loss.. I love Huey Lewis and the News music. I'm praying Huey gets his hearing back, he's a very talented singer.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/huey-lewis-contemplated-taking-his-own-life-after-hearing-loss-diagnosis-193838748.html

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, ed swain

Offline pdunn

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just read Huey Lewis of Huey Lewis and the News, contemplated committing suicide after suffering from hearing loss.. I love Huey Lewis and the News music. I'm praying Huey gets his hearing back, he's a very talented singer.

Maybe the best band I've ever seen in concert. 
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Online The E-Man

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe the best band I've ever seen in concert.

I actually met Huey and his band when I lived in Arizona. The News band is so talented and they indeed put on a great concert! Huey and his band made a rare commitment to each other and stayed together for many years.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, pdunn

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really liked Huey and the News , they always looked liked they were having a good time playing their music. I had read that article the other day , good read . For a musician to lose his/her hearing must be a little like an athlete not being able to play anymore , what are you going to do now ? The eighties did have some great music .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Your grandson and his group are getting better.. I hope they stay with it music sounds great..

Thanks E. The kids had to cancel some shows due to the lead guitar player breaking his wrist roller skating, but the cast is off now and they are back to playing.  The comments about Huey Lewis losing his hearing is a good warning to musicians.  These kids from day 1 have worn high tech musicians ear plugs to protect themselves and are used to them now.

Here is Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage the Elephant which they do pretty good.

&feature=youtu.be

Online The E-Man

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really liked Huey and the News , they always looked liked they were having a good time playing their music. I had read that article the other day , good read . For a musician to lose his/her hearing must be a little like an athlete not being able to play anymore , what are you going to do now ? The eighties did have some great music .

I really think hearing is much harder to lose as a person and musician more so than a career ending injury for an athlete. My dear mother lost most of hearing after her massive stroke. It was very hard for my mother and very emotional for me.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, pdunn

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/huey-lewis-contemplated-taking-his-own-life-after-hearing-loss-diagnosis-193838748.html

Thanks for post!  Saw them a couple of years ago in Lawrenceburg , Indiana.   I really enjoyed the concert!He had to cancel all his tours a short time afterwards.

Still have his cassettes from my high school days.  Plus, added some of his records to my collection just a year ago.  Loved the "SPORTS" album.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »

Offline ed swain

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • E thanks for starting this thread.It is great!

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Matt "Guitar" Murphy , member of the Blues Bros. The music starts about 1:30 in.

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

Online The E-Man

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • E thanks for starting this thread.It is great!

Your very welcome Ed. It feels good to talk about something we all enjoy and can agree upon in a much happier place. I wanted to bring some enlightenment to the board for my Herd brother's and sister's.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »