Author Topic: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

Re: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's and today...
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 03:02:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BuffaloBop, Here is another new artist who has an old soul. His name is Joshua Hedley. His stuff sounds like it’s hot off the press and straight into a 1950s jukebox.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:00:17 PM by Big Ol' Hillbilly »

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 03:02:45 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 04:33:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BuffaloBop, Here is another new artist who has an old soul. His name is Joshua Hedley. Husband stuff sounds like it’s hot off the press and straight into a 1950s jukebox.

I like to hear more country singers like him. If I heard Mr. Jukebox on the radio, I would think it was from the early 60s/50s.

The following users thanked this post: Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's a modern band for all of the classic rock guys on here, especially the Zeppelin fans.

Offline JReese

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's a modern band for all of the classic rock guys on here, especially the Zeppelin fans.

I'm not a zeppelin fan at all, but i really like these guys.
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

The following users thanked this post: Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 08:44:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One of my favorite artists ever. Pretty popular in NOLA and California. He was raised a surfer/skateboarder in Cali and he played in punk bands. He moved to New Orleans in his twenties and pulled from musical influences there. Has a lot of soul. I don't really know how to refer to his music.. blues? swamp pop? Listen and see what you think. This guy puts on a great live show.

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JJ Grey & MOFRO. Another one of my favorites. Can't really put a finger on their genre, but the music is great. Has a lot of soul. Another guy who is amazing live. He's one of those songwriters that can put you in a place with words. You listen to some of the stuff and it's like you're in North Florida where JJ is from. Check them out if you haven't heard of them.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:53:51 AM by Big Ol' Hillbilly »

Offline bighat

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am reading a book about Buddy Holley.  That was Rock and Roll.  He died too young.  One thing about him he tithed to his church and so did members of his band.

Offline JReese

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm going totally against the grain here. I'm a classic rock - hard rock kinda guy. 80's hair metal are my favs.  Not a big fan of the current available music today.

Favorite current band:  Alter Bridge

Don't expect any of you to know them. Hell, I'll probably get smithed for this post, lol.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, CoachSkip

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm going totally against the grain here. I'm a classic rock - hard rock kinda guy. 80's hair metal are my favs.  Not a big fan of the current available music today.

Favorite current band:  Alter Bridge

Don't expect any of you to know them. Hell, I'll probably get smithed for this post, lol.

I really like Mark Tremonti and Alter Bridge and have all their albums. I felt he was so restrained with Creed and was able to really shine and flourish after their breakup. Always been a Tremonti fan but never a Creed fan. On a side note Myles Kennedy is not only a great vocalist but a fantastic guitar player. Unfortunately he plays with two of the best (Tremonti and Slash) so it's hard for him to stand out but he does play lead guitar on some AB songs like Blackbird from their album Blackbird.

On another side note this feller ain't too shabby if you're into Pink Floyd/Robin Trower styles of music... and he loves the HERD!

https://youtu.be/DEpHKeg3_q4
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:27:48 PM by biggreenarms »

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, JReese

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like Mark Tremonti and Alter Bridge and have all their albums. I felt he was so restrained with Creed and was able to really shine and flourish after their breakup. Always been a Tremonti fan but never a Creed fan. On a side note Myles Kennedy is not only a great vocalist but a fantastic guitar player. Unfortunately he plays with two of the best (Tremonti and Slash) so it's hard for him to stand out but he does play lead guitar on some AB songs like Blackbird from their album Blackbird.

On another side note this feller ain't too shabby if you're into Pink Floyd/Robin Trower styles of music... and he loves the HERD!

Hey brother, I mentioned you and wanted your thoughts on the Russian Band, Lenin and Friends playing 25 or 6 to 4?... What do you think of their guitar player and the bands beautiful Raquel Welch looking young lady???...
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:38:47 PM by The E-Man »

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #35 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey brother, I mentioned you and wanted your thoughts on the Russian Band, Lenin and Friends playing 25 or 6 to 4?... What do you think of their guitar player and the bands beautiful Raquel Welch looking young lady???...

Great cover. Been a long time CTA and Kath fan. A lot of folks that have never seen that song played live probably don't realize how complex the song is and how intense and powerful Kath's playing was.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Great cover. Been a long time CTA and Kath fan. A lot of folks that have never seen that song played live probably don't realize how complex the song is and how intense and powerful Kath's playing was.

Me and you are die hard Chicago fans. The late Terry Kath is the greatest.. this Russian cat is damn good too.. Oh, and don't forget the beautiful woman with them.. ;D.... Dig Dialogue l &ll

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:01:03 PM by The E-Man »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »

Offline JReese

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like Mark Tremonti and Alter Bridge and have all their albums. I felt he was so restrained with Creed and was able to really shine and flourish after their breakup. Always been a Tremonti fan but never a Creed fan. On a side note Myles Kennedy is not only a great vocalist but a fantastic guitar player. Unfortunately he plays with two of the best (Tremonti and Slash) so it's hard for him to stand out but he does play lead guitar on some AB songs like Blackbird from their album Blackbird.

https://youtu.be/DEpHKeg3_q4

IMHO, Myles Kennedy is the best voice in rock. For all of you older gents on the board, you might recognize this song that is being covered "The Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkle. It is from the heavy-metal band "Disturbed" and they asked Myles to sing on this cover with them.

A couple examples of Myles' voice. This is him with his band  Alter Bridge

Breath Again

and my personal favorite "Metalingus" featuring Mark Tremonti.  (Hang in there atleast two minutes)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:06:24 PM by JReese »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huge Chicago fan. Their first album is one of the best debut's I've ever heard. Ranks right up there with Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix and the self titled debut from Boston. I actually like the first three Chicago albums. After that, they started becoming a hit machine. Took a little bit of flair from the group. After Kath died, I really feel they went down hill. Peter Cetera was trying to get them to go all pop before that. Once he got control, that was all she wrote. I still like listening to some of those albums, but they do not compare to those first three when the group really didn't give a crap about a bunch of hit singles.

I have tried to listen to some of the newer rock out there. I guess I am starting to mellow a little bit. Find myself listening to more acoustic guitar albums than anything else.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huge Chicago fan. Their first album is one of the best debut's I've ever heard. Ranks right up there with Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix and the self titled debut from Boston. I actually like the first three Chicago albums. After that, they started becoming a hit machine. Took a little bit of flair from the group. After Kath died, I really feel they went down hill. Peter Cetera was trying to get them to go all pop before that. Once he got control, that was all she wrote. I still like listening to some of those albums, but they do not compare to those first three when the group really didn't give a crap about a bunch of hit singles.

I have tried to listen to some of the newer rock out there. I guess I am starting to mellow a little bit. Find myself listening to more acoustic guitar albums than anything else.

That wasn't Cetera calling the shots then. You can thank David Foster who's a brilliant song writer, producer, and Warner Brother's. Chicago had left Columbia records and their new label Warner Brother's actually did Chicago's A&R. Foster was all about pop ballads and a lot of 80 fans thought Chicago was a pop group. After making many hits Cetera's ego got even bigger and he left Chicago. Just to tell you how big Peter Cetera's ego is, he didn't even show up for Chicago being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Robert Lamm who is a great musician called Cetera many times to try and get him to change his mind it didn't happen.

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chicago also always had great album covers , very creative . Sure do wish I could walk in National Record Mart at the mall , oh well.
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chicago also always had great album covers , very creative . Sure do wish I could walk in National Record Mart at the mall , oh well.

Times change those days are long gone.. Interesting, Chicago never had a name for their albums, it was done by roman numeral numbers...

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #42 on: October 18, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • That wasn't Cetera calling the shots then. You can thank David Foster who's a brilliant song writer, producer, and Warner Brother's. Chicago had left Columbia records and their new label Warner Brother's actually did Chicago's A&R. Foster was all about pop ballads and a lot of 80 fans thought Chicago was a pop group. After making many hits Cetera's ego got even bigger and he left Chicago. Just to tell you how big Peter Cetera's ego is, he didn't even show up for Chicago being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Robert Lamm who is a great musician called Cetera many times to try and get him to change his mind it didn't happen.

Their success was definitely due to the sum of all involved but Lamm was a master songwriter. When he came in he had a notebook of 50 + complete songs with lyrics and music and they recorded many of them that went on to be hits. Not many people have that magic mix of being a solid songwriter, have command of their instrument  and can also sing lead vocals.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Times change those days are long gone.. Interesting, Chicago never had a name for their albums, it was done by roman numeral numbers...

True, except for one. The album with the hits No Tell Lover and Alive Again was called Hot Streets. After that, they went back to numbers. I believe that album came out in 1978 or 1979.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's one bad ass song played together in concert from my two favorite bands of all time.. Earth, Wind & Fire, Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4.... They tore the roof off of the arena with this tune...

The following users thanked this post: pdunn, CoachSkip

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • As long as we are talking about 60’s music, two of my favorite local bands were Little Archie & the Parliaments and Lindsey Blair and the Dynamics, with I think Mike Thomas on vocals.

Riverside dances and the golf course on Rt.2 ?? Greenbrier(?)

And I think this subject is one fine sharing of info!!

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #46 on: October 19, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marcus King Band is a fantastic bluesy soul group of country boys from Greenville, South Carolina. They have influences from Chicago with a trumpet and sax player. In this live video their drummer Jack Ryan, whose a large dude playing a small kit, plays like a man possessed.

Another band I like us Tedeschi Trucks. Been a long time Derek Trucks fan since his teenage days with Allman Bros Band. His solo and right hand technique at the end of this song is mind blowing.

Another fav is Doyle Bramhall II. Many know his dad of same name who was co-writer for several Stevie Ray Vaughan songs. DBII is the main guitarist for Eric Clapton, did David Gilmour's parts in Roger Waters In The Flesh tour and was in the band Arc Angel. He plays a right handed guitar, left handed turned upside down like Hendrix did.

Joe Bonamassa is another favorite. Saw him live in August and he was amazing as usual. Have seen him live 4 times now.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:01:11 PM by biggreenarms »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marcus King Band is a fantastic bluesy soul group of country boys from Greenville, South Carolina. They have influences from Chicago with a trumpet and sax player. In this live video their drummer Jack Ryan, whose a large dude playing a small kit, plays like a man possessed.

Another band I like us Tedeschi Trucks. Been a long time Derek Trucks fan since his teenage days with Allman Bros Band. His solo and right hand technique at the end of this song is mind blowing.

Another fav is Doyle Bramhall II. Many know his dad of same name who was co-writer for several Stevie Ray Vaughan songs. DBII is the main guitarist for Eric Clapton, did David Gilmour's parts in Roger Waters In The Flesh tour and was in the band Arc Angel. He plays a right handed guitar, left handed turned upside down like Hendrix did.

Joe Bonamassa is another favorite. Saw him live in August and he was amazing as usual. Have seen him live 4 times now.

I love Joe Bonamassa. Strangely enough, I had never heard of this cat until last year, since then I've been hooked!

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Joe Bonamassa. Strangely enough, I had never heard of this cat until last year, since then I've been hooked!
    EMan be sure to watch the Marcus King and Tedeschi Trucks. I'll think you'll like both bands. Also here's a clip of Doyle Bramhall II doing a "Pusherman" cover.

And another dude I love... Eric Gales. You got to stick with this vid...  he goes out of his mind towards the end. The guy is in anthother dimension. Everytime I watch him I about p1ss my pants.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am loving this discussion. As a collector, I am always looking for new stuff and songs I had forgotten. How many remember the old 78's? I was able to get four from the early rock and roll era, including one from Ray Charles. I realize the sound quality is nowhere near digital downloads. But, I love playing these old records. Brings back memories of listening to 78's with my mom and dad.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »