Author Topic: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2022, 12:47:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  
    The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2022, 12:47:51 AM »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2022, 01:41:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like seeing a lot of the old music posted. I have over 7000 records, either LP's, 45's or 78's. Add in about 1000 CD's and you can say I have a big interest in music. In fact, just got a new, professional grade, turntable. I am not quite 60, but for my money, it is hard to beat the artists that got rock and roll started. Not just Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and those folks. I am talking about electric blues artists like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. You want to hear what kickstarted people like Chuck Berry, take a listen to Spoonful or Smokestack Lightening by Howlin' Wolf. Listen to Got My Mojo Working by Muddy Waters. How about Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston. All came out before 1955. Some may not even know that Rock Around The Clock was actually released in 1954 and flopped. It was rereleased in 1955 following its appearance in a movie called The Blackboard Jungle. Between the movie and the rise of the music with a beat, it became a number one smash. I have a lot more useless music knowledge that I learned long before there was an internet and Wikipedia.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2022, 11:51:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Havent heard this one in quite some time

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:57:59 AM by Toro Toro Taxi »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2022, 12:01:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Havent heard this one in quite some time

Love this tune...

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2022, 12:03:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's a newer song that I like a lot. This song has a good happy feeling to it.. I hope music start sounding good again.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Grab a beer

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline pdunn

« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2022, 12:11:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard this song a few times in my life and just love it, but didn't know what the name of it was or who did it.  I saw the movie "Lone Star" the other night and it was in there and I found it on the credits and managed to find it on YouTube.

"My Love Is" by Little Willie John

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:16:07 AM by pdunn »
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2022, 09:48:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard this song a few times in my life and just love it, but didn't know what the name of it was or who did it.  I saw the movie "Lone Star" the other night and it was in there and I found it on the credits and managed to find it on YouTube.

"My Love Is" by Little Willie John

Little Willie John is best known for the original version of "Fever." Compare his Fever with "My Love Is."

Offline pdunn

« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2022, 01:39:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know I thought that song sounded a lot like "Fever" so that makes sense.  I don't know much about Little Willie John but he had a great voice and that sound in those tunes is incredible.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Buffalo Bop

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2022, 01:17:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  The Blasters did a great version of I'm Shakin'     

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2022, 01:23:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like seeing a lot of the old music posted. I have over 7000 records, either LP's, 45's or 78's. Add in about 1000 CD's and you can say I have a big interest in music. In fact, just got a new, professional grade, turntable. I am not quite 60, but for my money, it is hard to beat the artists that got rock and roll started. Not just Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and those folks. I am talking about electric blues artists like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. You want to hear what kickstarted people like Chuck Berry, take a listen to Spoonful or Smokestack Lightening by Howlin' Wolf. Listen to Got My Mojo Working by Muddy Waters. How about Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston. All came out before 1955. Some may not even know that Rock Around The Clock was actually released in 1954 and flopped. It was rereleased in 1955 following its appearance in a movie called The Blackboard Jungle. Between the movie and the rise of the music with a beat, it became a number one smash. I have a lot more useless music knowledge that I learned long before there was an internet and Wikipedia.

Very cool!   I have somewhere around 3500 CD's and about 1000 albums and probably about that many cassettes.  Total music geek here!! LOL   Go back a few years further and Sister Rosetta Tharpe was laying down licks that Chuck Berry and others ate up and copied.  I love all that old music information, I too learned a lot of it prior to Google search! :P
    *John Prine*

HerdFans.com

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2022, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2022, 01:39:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heres Sister Rosetta's story

*John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2022, 01:46:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Louis Jordan was another cat that had a big influence on the future rock and rollers, BB King cites him as a big influence!

*John Prine*

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2022, 10:30:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2022, 09:07:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Lou Millet - All Night Rock

« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:24:05 PM by Buffalo Bop »

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline GreenWhite

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was listening to the 4th Led Zeppelin album today and, in my opinion, is the perfect rock album. Sure, there are songs that get played way too much. But, taken as a whole album, a rock album doesn't get much better than this one. When The Levee Breaks is my favorite song on this album.

I also like Jazz and have been really diving into A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. Again, in my opinion, a perfect album.

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was listening to the 4th Led Zeppelin album today and, in my opinion, is the perfect rock album. Sure, there are songs that get played way too much. But, taken as a whole album, a rock album doesn't get much better than this one. When The Levee Breaks is my favorite song on this album.

I also like Jazz and have been really diving into A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. Again, in my opinion, a perfect album.

I've always liked LZ. My favorites include Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

Offline GreenWhite

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've always liked LZ. My favorites include Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love.

That second LZ album is also good. My favorite on that album is Ramble On. I also like Gallows Pole from the third album. Page, like Ricky Scaggs, can play just about any stringed instrument and he shows it on this song. Guitar, mandolin and banjo are featured on it.

I also saw something about the song Four Sticks on that 4th album. They didn't have a title for the song. John Bonham was playing the drums with four drum sticks so that is what they called the song.

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jim Seals passed away today

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Buffalo Bop

Offline The E-Man

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jim Seals passed away today

I absolutely love Seals and Crofts. Their music will forever be timeless! Jim Seals was a musical genius in his own right... RIP. Mr. Seals..

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com