Author Topic: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...  (Read 5921 times)

Offline herdorbust

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now I have to get back to my R&B roots, lol.. The Commodores and Lionel Ritchie definitely are an underrated band.. Lionel is one of the great songwriters of all time..I love both of these songs, Easy being my favorite...

Saw Lionel Ritchie back in about 84 in Charleston. I was more in to classic rock type music at the time and my wife wanted to go. It was a great concert and I really enjoyed it. Very talented guy.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This collab/project of Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden) and Ritchie Kotzen is fantastic. Just released a few months ago and not many folks no about it. It's old school straight rock with a little 70s vibe. Both share lead vocal and lead guitar roles as well as writing. There mutual roles and contributions and how they deliver their lines and leads remind me of DBII and Charlie Sexton from Arc Angels one and only album. The entire album is fantastic from start to finish.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another band I recently got into is Dead Daisies with their latest album Holy Ground. Been a long time fan of NC native guitarist Doug Aldrich. They recently brought in legendary singer/bassist Glenn Hughes  and took the band to the next level. Like my last post, this album is fantastic from start to finish. It's really rare that I find a complete album so good anymore, or for many decades. Every song kicks butt and then the last song "Far Away" is a refreshing change at a slower pace with symphonic and atmospheric elements. It's really a departure for Hughes as far as singing style and that's what makes it so good. Here's a sampling below of some of the songs.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• ZZ Top and John Fogerty together!

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms, The E-Man

Offline MUther

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coolest thing you'll see all day:

I can't believe that isn't D!ckinson.  Sounds exactly like him

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms

Offline Buffalo Bop

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms, The E-Man

Offline Holdall12

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I keep listening to Free. Guitarist and vocals some of the best of the period!

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...
    « Reply #158 on: September 06, 2021, 12:26:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  
    The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• « Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:47:47 PM by Toro Toro Taxi »

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would love for this type of music to make a comeback. People with actual talent on instruments and can sing without computers.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:28:58 PM by Toro Toro Taxi »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would love for this type of music to make a comeback. People with actual talent on instruments and can sing without computers.

The Ohio Players were a bad ass group.. I agree, I miss the super groups..I worry about there being any groups 10-15 years from now..

The following users thanked this post: Toro Toro Taxi

HerdFans.com

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2021, 08:36:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love this song by the Ohio Players Fire...

The following users thanked this post: Toro Toro Taxi

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2021, 10:47:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  
    The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, Toro Toro Taxi

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So much great music out there compared to today . I can listen to anything except Opera and hip hop , the vulgar kind , everything else is OK. Kids sure are missing out today.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2021, 02:34:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• He left Fleetwood Mac and Mick Fleetwood found a guitar player and singer named Buckingham and Nicks to replace him, Nicks was brought along only because Buckingham, the guitarist he needed,  wouldn't join if his GF wasn't invited to join too!
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2021, 09:51:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  
    The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So much great music out there compared to today . I can listen to anything except Opera and hip hop , the vulgar kind , everything else is OK. Kids sure are missing out today.

I'm like you, I can handle just about anything except any vulgar music...

Offline pdunn

« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2021, 12:42:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've have to do a good bit of driving out in the country with my job and I have a subscription to Sirius XM in my car, and I love it, I can listen to just about any kind of radio or music that I want anytime.  I'd go crazy listening to top 40 radio, I just can't relate to it anymore.

Right now channel 54 on Sirius is ABBA 24/7 for a limited time, because ABBA has an album out for the first time in about 40 years.  I've found that people either love ABBA or hate them, I grew up with them and I like them, and its nostalgia for me to hear this.  I think that they along with the Platters and some of the old doo-wop bands are the best vocal groups ever to record.   Anyhow they are playing tracks from this new album and from what I have heard it is really excellent, as good as anything that they put out in the 70s/early 80s, but I doubt that any of it gets any airplay.  Nonetheless it is a nice thing to hear music from musicians that made it because they had good songs and talent, it seems that is the exception rather than the rule anymore.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2021, 12:23:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The late Charley Pride's first recording at Sun Records Studio.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, biggreenarms

HerdFans.com

« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2021, 05:40:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2021, 05:06:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Nice post Buffalo Bop.  I like his stuff!  Still like his version of "Blue Suede Shoes".  LOL, had it on a cassette while dad had it on an old 45.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2021, 05:31:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice post Buffalo Bop.  I like his stuff!  Still like his version of "Blue Suede Shoes".  LOL, had it on a cassette while dad had it on an old 45.

?Honey Don?t? was the B side of that record, which was also recorded later by The Beatles.

It?s funny to hear Red Foley introduce Carl and trying to describe his music back in those days.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2021, 05:31:39 PM »