Author Topic: Litton focused on the future  (Read 757 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Litton focused on the future
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Everything starts in-between the eyes," Litton said. "We knew that we had to put our head down and work. Every single one of us on this team weren't satisfied, obviously, with what happened last season. We can't sit there and forget it, but we can't sit there and stress on it, either. We have to come in here every day and work hard. What these coaches expect us to do, we've got to do it."

After last season, Marshall's coaching staff expected every aspect of Litton's game - both physical and mental - to improve.

There simply was no wiggle room for the junior, offensive coordinator Bill Legg said.

"Chase's growth process was to get physically bigger and stronger so he's more durable because he's going to get hit," Legg said. "It's not 7-on-7, it's 11-on-11 and someone's going to come hit you once in a while. Last year at 207 (pounds), he couldn't take those hits. Even though he was bigger than the year before, he still wasn't as big and strong as you'd like him to be. Right now, he's at 230, so that was step one.

"Step two is how he reacts when he does get hit. Does he get up with a fire in his eyes and get after somebody and go compete at even a higher level or does he start letting the rush affect him on the pass game? Does he start seeing ghosts? Those are things that, to be quite honest, I thought improved dramatically during spring. I thought his newfound size helped.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/litton-focused-on-the-future/article_3f58d535-0d3a-5bdc-8e13-1c8e372a05d8.html

HerdFans.com

Litton focused on the future
    « on: July 30, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »

Offline QuickStrike

Re: Litton focused on the future
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    "Chase's growth process was to get physically bigger and stronger so he's more durable because he's going to get hit," Legg said. "It's not 7-on-7, it's 11-on-11 and someone's going to come hit you once in a while. Last year at 207 (pounds), he couldn't take those hits. Even though he was bigger than the year before, he still wasn't as big and strong as you'd like him to be. Right now, he's at 230, so that was step one.

"Step two is how he reacts when he does get hit. Does he get up with a fire in his eyes and get after somebody and go compete at even a higher level or does he start letting the rush affect him on the pass game? Does he start seeing ghosts? Those are things that, to be quite honest, I thought improved dramatically during spring. I thought his newfound size helped.

Too bad we were not able to go with Michael Birdsong and Gunnar Holcombe in 2015.  A red shirt year would have been good for Chase's body to bulk up some before playing, and probably would have helped his head develop better also.

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:08:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ".. gotten deeper into the playbook."

Playbook ? What playbook ?

p2m
    "Also, I swear Young and Yulee are going to hurt some people this season.  The way they tucked their tails and explode upward when they hit generate ungodly energy at the point of impact.  Saw both of them lift the tackling sled off the ground when they hit it.  Don't know what that thing weighs but it is not lite.  We can go with a big LB corps if playing a running team with Cobb around 235 lbs and Young and Yulee around 245 lbs each." - morpheus ( 'Flow Morpheus, flow ...' - Over At The Frankinstein Place - RHPS (1975))
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:33:47 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Apollo

Offline goherd24

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:42:11 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Step three:
    "We have to come up with better offensive sets and use motion to help get our players into positions to be successful. I have never really done anything but call a delayed handoff, or basic zone read, and let our all world QB (cato) decide what to do with it" said Legg. "This season, I have increased our playbook by 500%, so we now have 10 different plays we can call. Defenses will always be guessing now".

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain

Offline coalherd

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the twilight of an average to mediocre coaching career as an offensive coordinator, the odds that Billy Legg suddenly gets hit with a streak of innovative offensive brilliance are slim and none . . . and slim was seen leaving town in an Uber about a week ago!!

Offline herd1990

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are we to believe that suddenly, over the span of 7 months, that CL has miraculously matured, discontinued his alleged weed habit, and regained the trust and respect of his teammates?  I mean I'm glad he added a few pounds and appears to be ready to turn the page on the 2016-17 season but I will reserve judgement on leadership and development until he makes it though a whole season without any drama.  I, for one, hope he has seen the err of his previous cancerous ways.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:34:55 PM by herd1990 »

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are we to believe that suddenly, over the span of 7 months, that CL has miraculously matured, discontinued his alleged weed habit, and regained the trust and respect of his teammates?  I mean I'm glad he added a few pounds and appears to be ready to turn the page on the 2016-17 season but I will reserve judgement on leadership and development until he makes it though a whole season without any drama.  I, for one, hope he has seen the err of his previous cancerous ways.

Seriously.......this is a new season, and you have to give the young man the credit for what he has done so far to improve himself and his image, unless proven otherwise.

Offline bighat

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quickstrike, I agree with you.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes you do give him credit. But you also wait and see the proof not just the talk. We will see how Clifton and the rest of the team handles adversity. And there will be adversity. That will tell me if things have changed. It's easy when the record is 0-0

Offline goherd24

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes you do give him credit. But you also wait and see the proof not just the talk. We will see how Clifton and the rest of the team handles adversity. And there will be adversity. That will tell me if things have changed. It's easy when the record is 0-0

If only some would treat the coaches with the same "realistic" views as players

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I figure Chase has just as good a chance being a stud as Koljanin or Williams in BB. It works both ways. If one of our standout guards gets injured it limits the bigs chances. Same way in FB ...the QB has to have players on the line and skill guys with moxy.

Online svherd

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If only some would treat the coaches with the same "realistic" views as players

I'll give them all a fair shot. But coaches are far different from players. They are paid to win games and that's their ONLY mindset for the most part. They know the consequences of not winning.  A lot different than a 20 year old college kid.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »