Author Topic: SHR: Jim Donnan accused in Ponzi scheme  (Read 1396 times)

Offline billybob

SHR: Jim Donnan accused in Ponzi scheme
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As we were going through our coaching search a number of people wanted this a$$ clown to be our next head coach. How bad would that have been.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6774323/jim-donnan-former-georgia-bulldog-coach-accused-ponzi-scheme

HerdFans.com

SHR: Jim Donnan accused in Ponzi scheme
    « on: July 16, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

Re: SHR: Jim Donnan accused in Ponzi scheme
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • looks like Jim will have some explaining to do...
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope things work out for Coach and I am one who wouldn't have bee at all disappointed in Donnan returning to Huntington.

With that said, this isn't going to turn out well either way.  He'll either be cleared (looking like not so smart for being involved) or get in trouble (looking like a crook).

I can't/won't speculate which it is, but if you get involved with the Crabtree's you will not like the outcome at all...it's been proven before around the Tri-State --- anybody else would have been in jail by now.  Hopefully they get the hammer dropped this time.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Umm , it doesnt look to innocent but I hope he is . Greg & Linda Crabtree on the other hand , I hope its a federal hotel for them.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan had 5.3 million dollars and a good job with ESPN, now he is bankrupt, embarrassed and probably getting blackballed by the coaching fraternity (because he convinced Tommy Tuberville, Frank Beamer, Dennis Franchoine and his mentor Barry Switzer to invest their money in that scheme)

I just feel bad for him...

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel bad for the Donnan family. I hope it works out for them.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know Jim a little - I'd be as surprised if he knew this was a ponzi scheme as if someone like Jack Lengyel was involved.  Frankly, I don't believe it. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with Double M.  I also question someone calling one of the best coaches in Marshall history an ass clown?  

UPDATE:  I did a review of Billybob's other posts "ass clown" seems to be just a phrase that he uses in a lot of posts.  He doesn't appear to be an Eerdiot, so I took that part of this post down.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:01:36 PM by Thundering In MD »
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Given the repeated jabs at the Crabtrees, how about enlightening us out of towners a  little more on just who they are.

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan is a victim of falling in with the wrong investors, nothing more or less.

What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline billybob

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know that I would call him a victim. He made millions of dollars off the deal. If that is a victim then sign me up. I feel for what he is about to go through but you have to know where your putting your money. If I was seeing the kinds of returns he was then it should trigger a light bulb pretty quickly. Anyone with money in the market these days knows returns are few and far between.

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Crabtrees are from Proctorville , Ohio. Greg has been a "business" man , or atleast tried to be , since high school. He has had numerous fires happen at his properties . A garage burnt at his house , a small gas station in Athalia , the old Superior building , a cabin in Tenn. and a couple more I can't recall right now . I was wondering when Dans was going to go up in flames , since he owns it  , I even told a lady that works close by that that building was coming down soon . He had a little run in with the Huntington police a couple years ago over storing some fireworks illegally , of course it wasn't his fault but he did have it taken care of . Everyone in Proctorville has known how he is for years but people stil defend him , especially at his church , the big one close to the cemetery. The Crabtrees have been sued numerous times , just google them , theyll come up . Look in the Herald Dispatch archives , they have plenty of stories there too .The people I know are thrilled to death he is finally in trouble , big legal trouble that looks like it might stick . If the gov. investigates just a little , he and his wife should be put away for a long time .

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan was the best recruiter we have ever seen at MU and perhaps the best field general as well...I love Pruett, but he went 15-0 with Donnan's kids.  How many thousands of people were caught up in Madoff's ponzi scheme and how many of those are accused of wrong-doing?  How many enjoying Madoff's returns innocently talked others into getting involved? I give Donnan the benefit of the doubt and believe he is a victim until proven otherwise.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The best field general ? I don't know about that , I know he was the hardest headed one we've had . What game was it he ran , ran , ran the ball up the middle at the goal line but didn't get in ? I give Donnan the benefit of the doubt but if he's found guilty , throw him in the slammer .

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pruett was twice the checker player Jim was and recruited a ton of winners to boot!

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • a$$ clown to be our next head coach. How bad would that have been.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6774323/jim-donnan-former-georgia-bulldog-coach-accused-ponzi-scheme

What's up with all the hate for coach Donnan? This so called ass clown brought us a our first, NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! he was a big reason we went 15-0 for our, SECOND NATIONAL TITLE!!  I think Donnan is a victim of circumstances called, greed!

Online herd2win

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Loved Donnan as a coach and his tough attitude.  If you can remember he even challenged Kayo for handing out flyers to support Snyder and better start getting the team ready.  Donnan was a continued supporter of MU and I hope things work out for him.  His teams were always ready to play....they had an edge that we have been lacking.

Offline billybob

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not a fan of Donnan for a number of reasons, mostly personal and not as much professional. He built Marshall Football as an athletic team who had a swagger and didn't back down from anyone. Athletic players with questionable past and academic records but who went on to improve themselves. That being said the man was an ego maniac who cared little about the people around him or the school. I had a number of interactions with JD that made my skin crawl. Fund raisers and pre and post game interviews that left you wanting to take a shower. So don't think I am bashing his team as much as I am bashing him.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not a fan of Donnan for a number of reasons, mostly personal and not as much professional. He built Marshall Football as an athletic team who had a swagger and didn't back down from anyone. Athletic players with questionable past and academic records but who went on to improve themselves. That being said the man was an ego maniac who cared little about the people around him or the school. I had a number of interactions with JD that made my skin crawl. Fund raisers and pre and post game interviews that left you wanting to take a shower. So don't think I am bashing his team as much as I am bashing him.

There are 120 D-I teams...how many do you HONESTLY think are being coached by "down-to-earth", school loving, clean as a whistle, intellectual, fan loving, selfless guys?  I'd say they can be counted on one hand...get over it and welcome to the world of college athletics.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline luvherd

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great coach. This deal. let the courts sort it out.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My guess is that Donnan was convinced this was a good investment............particularly since he was making a huge ROI............and brought this too good to be true investment to all of his friends and family.  The most important element to a Ponzi scheme is that NOBODY knows about it.  Bernie Madoff convinced some of the top investors in the world to go along with his scheme which ran for years and years. 

I doubt (but obviously don't know) that Donnan would bring in his closest friends and family members into something that he knew was a ponzi scheme.  The Crabtrees convinced him to invest in the company.................they gave him a huge ROI............... then talked him into getting other investors.  Because he was making a ton of money he wanted to bring others in on it.

He got scammed and looks like not so smart.  But that is a lot different than fraud.  My guess is he isn't convicted of anything.  But may be forced to pay back some of the money he made. 

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another element of the ponzi is to get a name like donnan involved, pay him huge returns, then use his name and returns to lure others in that see him as a credible source.
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »