Author Topic: Please read.  (Read 6560 times)

Offline field pass

• Heisman
  • Member Since 08/2012
Re: Please read.
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel that we need to keep the heat on Snyder and the administration about getting this problem fixed.  I think that those of us in "the resistance" are important for the future of our program.  That said, we do not need to to jump in on every thread and bash the man or the administration.  THAT said, I feel that those of us in "the resistance" have a duty to answer all those "sunshine pumpers" in every thread where they expound that they feel that everything is just ducky and it will all be better.  If we are just quiet, I am afraid that the administration will not see any problem in the program and feel that the fans are OK with the situation. 

Well said!!!  That is exactly how I feel too.  And I think we have been afforded that here at HerdFans.  This board has been a great place to call home.

Offline w-sherdfan

• Rookie
    « Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, let me say this:

I completely agree with you, Wolf.  This is a great site and I enjoy the give and take over here.  Allow me (please) to say this about HerdNation, and this is sad:

I (for the 1st time that I can remember) have been given a 2 day blacklist over @
    the Borg.  I guess I just keep resisting their attempts to assimilate me into the single consciousness that kneels down and praises the current administration for its
    magnificence.  I had made a reply to Aaron (one of my better efforts. pretty concise and to the point, IMHO) and once I realized I was banned, I tried to remember what I could have typed to earn time in the penalty box.

Finally, it struck me like a bolt of lightning:  I had questioned whether our HC sported a full body tan or a farmer's tan!

That had to be it - personal criticism of the Head football coach's tan line.

Wow - so it's come to this..................

Was I over the line?

Go HERD !!!

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, let me say this:

I completely agree with you, Wolf.  This is a great site and I enjoy the give and take over here.  Allow me (please) to say this about HerdNation, and this is sad:

I (for the 1st time that I can remember) have been given a 2 day blacklist over @
    the Borg.  I guess I just keep resisting their attempts to assimilate me into the single consciousness that kneels down and praises the current administration for its
    magnificence.  I had made a reply to Aaron (one of my better efforts. pretty concise and to the point, IMHO) and once I realized I was banned, I tried to remember what I could have typed to earn time in the penalty box.

Finally, it struck me like a bolt of lightning:  I had questioned whether our HC sported a full body tan or a farmer's tan!

That had to be it - personal criticism of the Head football coach's tan line.

Wow - so it's come to this..................

Was I over the line?

Go HERD !!!

Not to start a board war but I had a thread deleted and never could get an answer as to why.  And it wasnt bashing the program kids or anything. 

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 05:40:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I appreciate the fact that on this board I have not been called a gd not so smart bag, a redneck c33k sucker, and a sumbeotch by posters, including the moderators like I was on the other board...at least not posted here.  :lol:  When we were being allowed a bit more lattitude here, it seemed the board was gaining posters left and right. Might want to keep that in mind. Some of us are simply still in the process of venting, I know I am. I've attempted to minimize my posting a bit, but only out of respect for the moderators.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline NEHERDFAN

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 06:03:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMO, but Wolf runs the best herd site around. One thing I can vouche for is that this site is definitely not over moderated as I'm one of Snyder's biggest critics.
    NOTE TO SNYDER -- GET OUT OF THE TANNING BED AND GET IN THE FILM ROOM!

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When we were being allowed a bit more lattitude here, it seemed the board was gaining posters left and right. Might want to keep that in mind. Some of us are simply still in the process of venting, I know I am. I've attempted to minimize my posting a bit, but only out of respect for the moderators.

There definitely seems to have been an increase in members and activity lately. I like reading everyone's views and having the freedom to voice mine on this forum, however, I think all Wolf is saying is to not beat a dead horse. What's done is done. I don't think we should risk deterring a possible recruit for something that won't be changed in the near future. A lot of us on here are unhappy with the past four years and if you spend enough time reading the forum it's evident where everyone stands. So for me, I feel there is no reason to give a daily reminder to everyone. It wouldn't change a thing.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 06:28:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • just as the increase started, MUMike came over to volt attacks on every thread.  I personally dont like banning...but I think MUMike should be banned simply because of all the posters that MUMike and Pokey are responsible for banning for free speach.

I think we should ban MUMike.  And the testimonies above further solidify my opinion.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think biggreenarms explains pretty clearly what i'd like to see happen.  I know people are frustrated and want to vent and to be honest I have some of the same feelings.  But I think 5 or 6 weeks bickering back and forth between the two camps is starting to be a drag on the forum.  Lets get through recruiting see what happens in spring ball and move on from there.  And if next year things dont go they way we all think they should I will be right there with you calling for a change.  Hell, I dont see how I can be anymore fair than that.
    « Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:26:30 PM by W0lfman »

Offline MUTeke

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few things to consider... I know many fans, myself included, feel Herd message boards are the only way we can have our voices heard. One of my biggest complaints about the athletic department is it's lack of communication with the fanbase, but that's another story for another post. That being said if your main goal is to have your voices heard using schoolyard namecalling is counter productive.

Most of us here are college educated adults. Calling someone "Tan Man" or a "Snyder Hater" doesn't make your point any clearer.  In fact, as far as I'm concerned, you lose credibility by doing that. If you're an adult and can't make an argument without namecalling like a 4th grader then I really don't care to listen to the case you're making. But that's just my opinion.

My last point is that I feel that arguments that have started on other message boards have bled over here. I think because people feel they can get away with more on this board. That's not fair to Wolfman and the other mods that have a specific mission in mind for Herdfans that these petty arguments are beginning to take away from. So now people believe this board is being over moderated. It's not... they have been taken advantage of to an extent and now it ends. Good for them. It's the childish behavior and namecalling that's brought us to this point. Don't blame over moderating.

Offline Banshee

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great OP.  I've been silent, and plan on doing more of the same, w/ a few indiscretions, here or there, but the time has come and passed for the non-stop attacks.  Lets  get back to wishing, at the least, for the best of our football program.  Am I happy/satisfied w/ what I've seen since MS showed?  Hell no.  But convictions towards if one is willing, or not, to financially support the program are an individual thing, and have been stated by most, or will be by current or future buying of tickets.  We get it guys, and no one is happy w/ the results we've seen, but this too will resolve itself w/ the passage of time and wins or L's.  I'd implore people to appreciate the forum that's been provided to us all as Herd Fans, and not let it turn into a repetitive bash-fest, or a kool-aid-fest, but understand that we all get it, both sides.  We don't need the constant badgering towards either side's point of view.  We all want the best for MU, and even if you don't agree w/ their judgment, and I personally don't, the staff is in place, lets let this thing play its way out.  If failure repeats itself, change PROBABLY will be made, but even if it doesn't, all of us diehards will still live and die w/ the Herd.  And probably bitch and moan towards every failing that we perceive, but their still our baby.
    « Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:43:41 PM by Banshee »

Offline sdfgoherd

• All American
    « Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do not believe anybody should be banned.  Restraint is a two way street. 

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • great post Wolf...love your forum as well...that said I think I'll be needing to take a break for a few months...I have voiced my concern as loud as I know...and also am doing it fiscally as well....still everyone should know I love Marshall football.

I'm O-U-T.

the greenskeeper
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • increased posts don't make a board better.  if we're getting the spill over of the trash ran out of other boards, we don't need it.  greater volume of assholes, just leads to more %^&*.

there are plenty of snyder critics that don't hijack threads and rant to no end.

i'm no mod, and this is the best free board around, that said, every now and then you got to take out the trash.  i'd take out a handful of the tools.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great Post TEKE!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline Aaron Perkins

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great Post Wolf. 

I am one of the posters deemed a sunshine pumper.  I, often, get into it with people on the far opposite extreme of my own. I have tried to refrain from it recently on both boards. 

In the end we all cheer for Marshall.  I have disagreed with Winston Salem Herd fan for as long as I have known him, but still, him and I met up in Greenville at the ECU game, had some good conversation and have exchanged texts ever since.

Same goes for myself and Herdwins.

I am as frustrated as anyone, and I come on the boards and take my frustration out on those that I disagree with, just as they do to me.

Both sites have went through spurts where it has been painful and almost impossible to read.  This site had always had awesome Marshall related conversation.  I hope your post brings some of this back.

Keep up the good work.

Offline MU65Grad

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe it's just today's society or the anonymity of the internet, but the problem with the message boards today is a total lack of tolerance and respect.  Too often posters attack anyone who has an opposing view without any restraint.  I always try to post only statements that I would not hesitate to say in person.  Some of the more extreme posters are very bold when they are sitting in front of a computer monitor attacking their perceive enemy.  I often wonder if they would be so bold if they were face to face with the other person.

The irony is that many of the posters who advocate freedom of speech are the same posters who try to restrain any one's views that they don't agree with.  Complaints about moderators taking away the freedom of speech are usually from those who tend to be the biggest abuser of the right.

I personally try to follow the policy of refraining from immediately responding to posts that I don't agree with.  It's sort of like taking a deep breath and calming down before reacting.  By doing so, hopefully I will  remove the emotional aspect of my reaction.  Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority.

I'll get off of my soap box now. :mrgreen:

Offline MUTeke

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe it's just today's society or the anonymity of the internet, but the problem with the message boards today is a total lack of tolerance and respect.  Too often posters attack anyone who has an opposing view without any restraint.  I always try to post only statements that I would not hesitate to say in person.  Some of the more extreme posters are very bold when they are sitting in front of a computer monitor attacking their perceive enemy.  I often wonder if they would be so bold if they were face to face with the other person.

The irony is that many of the posters who advocate freedom of speech are the same posters who try to restrain any one's views that they don't agree with.  Complaints about moderators taking away the freedom of speech are usually from those who tend to be the biggest abuser of the right.

I personally try to follow the policy of refraining from immediately responding to posts that I don't agree with.  It's sort of like taking a deep breath and calming down before reacting.  By doing so, hopefully I will  remove the emotional aspect of my reaction.  Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority.

I'll get off of my soap box now. :mrgreen:

Good post MU65. What posters tend to forget is that there are people that have time and money invested in this website so that Herd fans can use it for free. This is a privately owned website provided for people to use at the discretion of the owners and their appointed moderators. The 1st Amendment does not apply here or on any other message board.

That's why there are "terms of agreement" and "user guidelines" in place. Sure you're free to say whatever you want but you're also free to have your arse banned for saying it too. If you want to post on a message board then you must abide by the rules set forth by it's owners and moderators. If you want to be a 1st Amendment martyr then make a sign and go stand in front of the White House.

:razz:

Offline Thundering Lydia

• All American
    • GKI Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 03:38:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe it's just today's society or the anonymity of the internet, but the problem with the message boards today is a total lack of tolerance and respect. 

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  You're not so smart.

:o

Yes, severe joking there.

I enjoy seeing folks respectfully disagree---differing viewpoints and opinions helps us all grow in many ways.  It's always disappointing to see petty name-calling overtake what might have been a healthy discussion.

I like the old approach: "I disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend until my death your right to say it."

. . . and my other favorite: "This is America!  You have the right to be wrong."

Offline morpheus

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Calling Wolf a mod. Nazi is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  He and the mods strive to be extremely fair to everyone on here.  If you guys show respect to each other, when has there been a problem?  You can disagree without the name calling and insults. 

Offline w-sherdfan

• Rookie
    « Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • update:
         I am back among the "enabled" posters on HN.  This is a pretty slow time of the
    year for football posts.  Keep up the great work, Wolf!!

Go HERD !!! 

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 09:59:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Calling Wolf a mod. Nazi is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  He and the mods strive to be extremely fair to everyone on here.  If you guys show respect to each other, when has there been a problem?  You can disagree without the name calling and insults. 

Gotta agree.  This is the best Herd site out there.  I don't really agree with his decision, but it's his board.  At least there isn't a teen-like clique running the show. 8-)

Offline Thunders

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do like this site better than the other board simply because most people here don't attack you with name calling and sarcasm when you post or have a legit question. The other board is full of 4th graders who belittle you for saying the sky is blue. There is always someone who has a smartass answer for your question instead of an intelligent response or disagreement. I can say in the past I have been one of those people for calling people names like "Maroon" etc. (which I will still occasionally do for people like Boob Marcum) but I have refrained from name calling only because it feeds into what message boards have become. If you disagree with me or think I am stupid, have an intelligent comeback and if you feel like you need to call me a name then don't post anything at all. There are some people recently who I think have tried to look more intelligent than me, but in my opinion have looked like complete (@/:; and immature jerks when they typed their message.  We are all Herd fans.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok, I'll take down my joke.  That seemed to go over like a fart in church.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:04:26 PM by Thundering In MD »
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 09:53:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ya know, W0lf, I haven't posted very much for a few weeks, but it occurs to me that what you've just written really isn't so different from what big city wrote and what Blade wrote about a month ago... all of which was consistent with this from about a month ago concerning the choices before us...

Here are the options:

1) On board with the program, total sellout no matter who is the coach

2) On board with the program until Sep 5, and after that, on a game-by-game basis

3) Not on board with the program until there is a coaching change at the end of the season... and therefore, taking all actions within their power to suppress season ticket sales and recruiting success so that the Snyder era can completely implode in 2009.

(Not surprisingly, big city's, Blade's, and to some degree your own post, haven't met with 100% enthusiasm. And, too, it's funny to see some of the critics to big city and Blade now lap dog to your side as-if this is what they were thinking all along.)

So... here we are a month later, and amen to what you said, amen to Teke said, and amen to what 65 said, especially the idea of taking a time out.

Only one caveat to 65's comment, which is that, as I've made the point before, this is a different environment, so there are different rules for engagement. I wouldn't talk to a radio talk show host in person the same way that I would over the phone... there's a higher toleration for conflict (though still within some boundaries). Don't know why, never really thought about it, but there is. I would still be relatively polilte, but I would not feel compelled to treat that person like a personal friend... when you've got about 60 seconds to say something cogent, and especially if you disagree with the host, it's not really productive to focus too much on avoiding hurting the host's feelings.

There is also a natural higher level of toleration when the other person is not a personal friend, but merely someone out there who writes an opinion. Conflict with personal friends is much more restrained, as it should be. I'm sure I'm not alone that there are people here who were friends before there ever was an internet, and a few with whom I've gained a friendship outside of this or other boards as a direct result of discussion... if we disagree, I respond to them sometimes very differently because there's something more valuable to me (the friendship, obviously) than making my point.

But as Teke intimated specifically, the foremost guideline that should govern us regardless of whether we're arguing in-person or on the phone or by written words is that it is never okay to reduce the conversation to an insult contest, like a bunch of middle schoolers wrestling for the next higher rung on the social ladder.

The poster simply has to be their own best editor, and at some point before clicking that "Post" button, needs to re-read what they said to filter out or re-word those parts that are merely childish insults about the other person (name calling being the most obvious form of that), and ensure that their comments regard the validity or invalidity of the CONTENT, not the validity or invalidity of the person(s) takiing an opposing position.

Of course, there are people who will consider what I just said to be hypocritical. They see me how they see me, and part of how they see me is that I don't filter my words in that way.

First, I would say, let's assume that I am a hypocrite... that may make the messenger illegitimate, but does it make the message illegitimate? No it doesn't. It makes the message less effective for a drunk to tell people to not drink and drive, but the standard itself is not any less valid. It is still right.

But second, I know very well what I do and what my standards are when posting things here and elsewhere. Similar to W0lf, I am the founder and for its first two years, ran a sports internet board, so I've even had to carefully think about and write standards for this kind of thing. I am not flippant about posting, and if I gravitated away from my standards at any point, it was rare... and would owe the person to whom I was replyhing an apology, for sure.

I will call no one not so smart (or other name), though certainly, there are people I consider to write a lot of things that aren't well-thought-out. Besides the immaturity of the name calling, the people who are idiots are going to be seen for what they are, and other readers need no labeling from me to help them come to the same conclusion.

I will, however, tell someone that what they wrote makes no sense... they themselves are not not so smart necessarily, but anyone can write something idiotic at some point.

And when that happens, they SHOULD be called on it. And when they're called on it, it's my belief that analogies are among the best ways to clearly characterize the idiocy of the other side's argument. (Which is where, I'm sure, a lot of people have taken offense--but that is creatively and thoughtfully attacking the other argument, not attacking the other person).

Like I told someone about a month ago...

At some point, it would just be fantabulous if [certain posters] would realize,

"Hey,  ya know, when I have nothing better to offer in terms of a counterargument, I tend to just take aim at the person I don't like who is communicating the message I don't like."

... and recognize the fallacy in the idea that that's a valid response in a legitimate debate.

My three (typical) cents. Have a good day, all.
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:15:44 AM by _sturt_ »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 11:18:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok, I'll take down my joke.  That seemed to go over like a fart in church.

MD, I didn't catch the original joke, but I like the replacement line regardless.