Author Topic: A reminder of where we were  (Read 817 times)

Offline Always THE HERD

A reminder of where we were
« on: March 27, 2024, 09:17:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and where the previous AD wanted MU to get to. It is a good "listen too". It is tough when making HARD decisions. Before I retired, I was faced with this quite often in my position; BUT if you want to be a good manager, owner, president, AD or whatever it often comes down to that. In the case of DD, I wish him nothing but the best.
    https://youtu.be/RxZBAGJtWrs

HerdFans.com

A reminder of where we were
    « on: March 27, 2024, 09:17:38 PM »

Offline Always THE HERD

Re: A reminder of where we were
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:52:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One can't be too critical of MH's remarks. I thought he handled himself well.

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 07:59:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AD is in the best shape it's ever been on many fronts. Our minor sports are flourishing, we are a TOTAL program. We have very good facilities across the board, nice upgrades the last year, and more to come. Football and men's basketball need to step up. Spears doing a good job, Brad Smith is a home run. BG could use new leadership. Look to the future!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 01:50:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AD is in the best shape it's ever been on many fronts. Our minor sports are flourishing, we are a TOTAL program. We have very good facilities across the board, nice upgrades the last year, and more to come. Football and men's basketball need to step up. Spears doing a good job, Brad Smith is a home run. BG could use new leadership. Look to the future!

What minor sports are flourishing besides women hoops and Soccer? (Spears only made one of those hires).
    The facility stuff was getting done anyways regardless of what anyone on this forum says.
    A few athletes on the swim team have had success as well as T&F.
    Spears extended a volleyball coach that to my knowledge has done nothing.
    The baseball team is still a work in progress with a long ways to go and rightfully so. How he handled that coaching situation was piss poor.
    Jury is still out on softball and while I respect Zerkle for her career here and everything she has done since; I don't think it's going to work out as planned.

And lastly, while i hope Cornelius Jackson is the next great thing, the odds are stacked against him in a major way.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 02:07:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to add to the original post......or the video if you will.

After Donnie Jones left Marshall (and left a roster full of ballers), Mike Hamrick put no effort in the coaching search. NONE! He turned head coaching search over to his associate athletic director who formed the committees, orchestrated all interviews, etc. Hamrick was completely hands off in the coaching search and rubber stamped Tom Herrion.

Hamrick was too far up his buddy's rectum the football coach to see what Donnie Jones was building here. He conducted no search for a coach as he seems to say in the video. After this video, he flew out to Los Angeles for a week to have several meeting with Mike D'Antoni.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 04:51:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

After Donnie Jones left Marshall (and left a roster full of ballers), Mike Hamrick put no effort in the coaching search. NONE! He turned head coaching search over to his associate athletic director who formed the committees, orchestrated all interviews, etc. Hamrick was completely hands off in the coaching search and rubber stamped Tom Herrion.

Hamrick was too far up his buddy's rectum the football coach to see what Donnie Jones was building here. He conducted no search for a coach as he seems to say in the video. After this video, he flew out to Los Angeles for a week to have several meeting with Mike D'Antoni.

If I recall MH asked the then EKU coach to come to Huntington to interview. Then, Mike flew out to Cali and the EKU coach turned around and headed back to Richmond. It was a clusternomb and terrible look for MU.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 04:58:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Pretty sure MH had a prior history with Herrion and was more involved in hire, not a rubber stamp whether you liked hire or not.

Herrion started out well with DJs players and a couple of his own additions.  Added too many thugs and before the bottom fell out chose Pittman over Kane (which many of our dumber fans liked) and then it went to hell quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 12:59:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I recall MH asked the then EKU coach to come to Huntington to interview. Then, Mike flew out to Cali and the EKU coach turned around and headed back to Richmond. It was a clusternomb and terrible look for MU.

That was a CL lie & why I've refused to read any of his garbage since then! That story went all over college sports online media & everyone involved -- including the coach named in the article -- denied every word of that story.  There wasn't a bit of truth to it.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 09:39:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• That was a CL lie & why I've refused to read any of his garbage since then! That story went all over college sports online media & everyone involved -- including the coach named in the article -- denied every word of that story.  There wasn't a bit of truth to it.

When I read SV's post, I had the same thought as you.

The CL portion of the story was even worse than you report.  As I remember it, CL had the coach being offered the job and was heading to Huntington to accept the job when he heard on the radio about Hamwreck being in LA to meet with the Dantoni's.  As you said everyone involved called BS on Landon's "story"

On the other hand SV has great connections and seldom posts things that are off base.  Perhaps he knows details or facts that haven't been previously reported.

Offline HerdinNT

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 10:17:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I know that there are some MH haters on this board and I read about their personal reasons why.  However, under MH leadership he brought MU sports and its facilities to compete in todays world.  Say all you want about the BB arena and rightfully so but look at the sport facilities as whole.  That is the legacy of MH and I thank him for that aspect.

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 10:41:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When I read SV's post, I had the same thought as you.

The CL portion of the story was even worse than you report.  As I remember it, CL had the coach being offered the job and was heading to Huntington to accept the job when he heard on the radio about Hamwreck being in LA to meet with the Dantoni's.  As you said everyone involved called BS on Landon's "story"

On the other hand SV has great connections and seldom posts things that are off base.  Perhaps he knows details or facts that haven't been previously reported.

I was just going off memory. It may have been a made up story by CL. But have to admit, that's even out there for him. CL is crazy. Mike wanted Mike D and put all his eggs in that basket. When Mike D didn't commit, MH had to look at DD since it was so late in the process and he had no other candidates lined up.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 12:51:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I know that there are some MH haters on this board and I read about their personal reasons why.  However, under MH leadership he brought MU sports and its facilities to compete in todays world.  Say all you want about the BB arena and rightfully so but look at the sport facilities as whole.  That is the legacy of MH and I thank him for that aspect.

Except for the IPF ( and that was huge), what are you giving MH credit for and why?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 12:51:08 PM »