Author Topic: AD Spears issues comments on Dantoni  (Read 1179 times)

Offline MarshallSteve

AD Spears issues comments on Dantoni
« on: March 26, 2024, 11:47:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "This has been an inspiring decade of Marshall Basketball under the leadership of Coach D'Antoni," Marshall athletic director Christian Spears said. "His commitment to Marshall is unrivaled and his legacy will be honored for years to come. He built a program that plays for a community who deeply cares about him and our student-athletes. We wish him the very best and look forward to seeing him as he continues to support the program he built."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39809533/dan-dantoni-marshall-men-basketball-coach

Gives me the impression Danny might still be involved in some capacity going forward.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:51:53 AM by MarshallSteve »

HerdFans.com

AD Spears issues comments on Dantoni
    « on: March 26, 2024, 11:47:08 AM »

Online MicDrass1

Re: AD Spears issues comments on Dantoni
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "This has been an inspiring decade of Marshall Basketball under the leadership of Coach D'Antoni," Marshall athletic director Christian Spears said. "His commitment to Marshall is unrivaled and his legacy will be honored for years to come. He built a program that plays for a community who deeply cares about him and our student-athletes. We wish him the very best and look forward to seeing him as he continues to support the program he built."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39809533/dan-dantoni-marshall-men-basketball-coach

Gives me the impression Danny might still be involved in some capacity going forward.

Going to be hard for CJ to be his own kind of coach. Exactly what I suspected is the deal.  Let it go DD.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 12:23:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • my impression is that Smith/Spears/whomever is straddling the fence like PROs.  are they wearing crotch protection, with of course, the hope they won't need it.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 12:35:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this just sounds like "AD speak" to me.  ADs & GMs (pros) say stuff like this every time they fire someone.  everybody knows, outside of 2-3 yrs, it hasn't been an "inspiring DECADE of MBB" (in fact, 2 of last 3 have been downright embarrassing, 7/10 we lost 14+ games to a bunch of nobodies in the grand scheme of D-I hoops)...hence he was terminated against his will 1 year after he signed a 3-year extension.

"look forward to seeing him as he continues to support the program he built" = they expect him to be a lower bowl/courtside season ticket holder

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 12:39:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears comments were released last night, FWIW.  DD supposedly declined comment....
    https://www.wsaz.com/2024/03/25/mu-parting-ways-with-coach-dan-dantoni/

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 12:39:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this just sounds like "AD speak" to me.  ADs & GMs (pros) say stuff like this every time they fire someone.  everybody knows, outside of 2-3 yrs, it hasn't been an "inspiring DECADE of MBB" (in fact, 2 of last 3 have been downright embarrassing, 7/10 we lost 14+ games to a bunch of nobodies in the grand scheme of D-I hoops)...hence he was terminated against his will 1 year after he signed a 3-year extension.

"look forward to seeing him as he continues to support the program he built" = they expect him to be a lower bowl/courtside season ticket holder

"Bunch of nobodies" ... Hmmm, where have we heard that one before. Shortly afterward, Herdmeister came on to talk up the LA school we just lost to at home, only to have his .logic. shouted down.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 12:48:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First of all; you never say anything derogatory about a former or fired employee.

What does anyone expect Spears to say in this situation? Dan's sister is on the BOG and he has support from some big donors. The WV Governor seems to a family friend/supporter (he appointed his sister to BOG).

Bottom line is that Dan was forced out and Marshall is trying to make the best of the situation. Marshall doesn't want to make the situation worse.

If Dan was so great, he wouldn't been fired. The Dan supporters just need to let it go and move on.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:50:45 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, ed swain, herdfifteen, miltonherdfan

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 12:56:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The silence from D'Antoni is deafening. I wonder when Corny will hold his first press conference, or has he and I just missed it.

Offline andy31

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 01:38:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The silence from D'Antoni is deafening. I wonder when Corny will hold his first press conference, or has he and I just missed it.

I'm expecting whenever Landon next publishes a column, even if we don't have quotes from Danny directly, we will know exactly how Danny feels about all this.

Online elginherd

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 02:01:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • my impression is that Smith/Spears/whomever is straddling the fence like PROs.  are they wearing crotch protection, with of course, the hope they won't need it.

Unless a coach fakes a heart attack, assaults a player or engaged in buggery with a minor, you'll not hear an AD or GM piss on a coach who is let go. Not only is it impolite, it makes hiring coaches of any sport more difficult.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Always THE HERD, Lord Haw-Haw

Online MUfan08

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 02:02:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm expecting whenever Landon next publishes a column, even if we don't have quotes from Danny directly, we will know exactly how Danny feels about all this.

Sure he will blame Andy Taylor some more.

Online elginherd

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 02:09:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Sure he will blame Andy Taylor some more.

You forgot Micah H.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 02:09:26 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 02:28:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm expecting whenever Landon next publishes a column, even if we don't have quotes from Danny directly, we will know exactly how Danny feels about all this.

I fully expect Landon to unload on the MU AD over this. Danny being the innocent one. lol!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Lord Haw-Haw

Online ThunderDent

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 02:35:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unless a coach fakes a heart attack, assaults a player or engaged in buggery with a minor, you'll not hear an AD or GM piss on a coach who is let go. Not only is it impolite, it makes hiring coaches of any sport more difficult.

Man I wish they hadn't taken that video of Herrion faking the heart attack vs UCF down. Set to music like he was Fred Sanford himself.

Edit:  it's removed everywhere. Except here. Found it. It's the Big One Elizabeth.

https://deadspin.com/marshall-coach-tom-herrion-flops-on-sideline-to-draw-a-5876776
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 02:45:11 PM by ThunderDent »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, elginherd

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 02:36:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully expect Landon to unload on the MU AD over this. Danny being the innocent one. lol!
    Yep.  I've already seen him chime in to a couple of FB threads.  One have to do with a comment on practice.  Am I wrong that DD stated in a press conference that he was taking over practice?  And didn't the team seem to go on a deeper dive right after?  I searched for that presser but time got in the way.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 03:06:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep.  I've already seen him chime in to a couple of FB threads.  One have to do with a comment on practice.  Am I wrong that DD stated in a press conference that he was taking over practice?  And didn't the team seem to go on a deeper dive right after?  I searched for that presser but time got in the way.

I believe he made that comment after the Duquesne game. We did play better for a little while, but then hit the skids.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 09:42:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Man I wish they hadn't taken that video of Herrion faking the heart attack vs UCF down. Set to music like he was Fred Sanford himself.

Edit:  it's removed everywhere. Except here. Found it. It's the Big One Elizabeth.

https://deadspin.com/marshall-coach-tom-herrion-flops-on-sideline-to-draw-a-5876776

You know that's the biggest myth in Marshall sports.  He got deliberately elbowed hard in the chest by the UCF player as he ran down the sidecourt and the ref misses it.  We all saw it around where I was sitting, and started yelling at the ref.  Herrion couldn't believe there was no whistle so he reenacted the hit over and over hammed up the pain of being hit, like a soccer flop, until the ref came over and asked what was going on and then they reviewed the play and called a foul.  Herrion became a joke over that, out of context, but the thuggery of UCF is what should have been the story.  But it was never about "faking a heart attack."

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 09:50:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know that's the biggest myth in Marshall sports.  He got deliberately elbowed hard in the chest by the UCF player as he ran down the sidecourt and the ref misses it.  We all saw it around where I was sitting, and started yelling at the ref.  Herrion couldn't believe there was no whistle so he reenacted the hit over and over hammed up the pain of being hit, like a soccer flop, until the ref came over and asked what was going on and then they reviewed the play and called a foul.  Herrion became a joke over that, out of context, but the thuggery of UCF is what should have been the story.  But it was never about "faking a heart attack."
    100% true. There used to be some video out that showed the UCF player stick his elbow out and intentionally hit Herrion as he ran down the court.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:52:33 AM by MarshallSteve »

The following users thanked this post: MUther

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 10:01:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 100% true. There used to be some video out that showed the UCF player stick his elbow out and intentionally hit Herrion as he ran down the court.

and Kane helped with the heart attack angle in post game interview when he laughed and said "i thought he was having a heart attack"
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: MUther

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 10:34:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully expect Landon to unload on the MU AD over this. Danny being the innocent one. lol!
    How prophetic. Chuck Landon just wrote a story detailed in another thread opining that Danny deserved another year.

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 10:38:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How prophetic. Chuck Landon just wrote a story detailed in another thread opining that Danny deserved another year.
    Could someone post the article on this site? I don't have access to the HD or Gazette.

Offline svherd

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2024, 07:55:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How prophetic. Chuck Landon just wrote a story detailed in another thread opining that Danny deserved another year.

You knew it was coming. Chuck does more Damage to Marshall than anyone. What a hack.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: whf, miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2024, 07:55:58 AM »