Author Topic: This board is becoming toxic as hell  (Read 2298 times)

Online W0lfman

This board is becoming toxic as hell
« on: December 10, 2023, 10:11:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Makes me sick to login and read all the so called Herd fans ripping our school to shreds. This is ridiculous. Some of you need to take time away or go find another school to support. I've never been more disgusted than I have over these past few days as I am right now. Going to make a lot of changes and a warning a bunch of you may be gone. Can't stand this %^&* and the perception being portrayed by certain posters is doing more harm than good. End it now!!

HerdFans.com

This board is becoming toxic as hell
    « on: December 10, 2023, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline Big City

Re: This board is becoming toxic as hell
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 10:19:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Makes me sick to login and read all the so called Herd fans ripping our school to shreds. This is ridiculous. Some of you need to take time away or go find another school to support. I've never been more disgusted than I have over these past few days as I am right now. Going to make a lot of changes and a warning a bunch of you may be gone. Can't stand this %^&* and the perception being portrayed by certain posters is doing more harm than good. End it now!!

Perfect timing! Over the past couple of weeks things have gotten out of hand and I was considering a similar post. The negativity from a handful is a big turn off. Not a good look. I would encourage everyone to step back and at least take the afternoon to chill out.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: DallasGreen, goherd73, svherd, HerdMan84, muherd34, horsrman, Flat Tire 2, puma

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 10:35:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Absolutely agree. We moderate very lightly and I for one believe in giving everyone an opportunity to voice their frustrations within reason. However, I've noticed a trend of the last several years but one that has specifically ticked up this year. Following a loss in BBall or FB the traffic is heavier and the posts are more and more negative. But when we win, the traffic is low and the posts for the most part still focuses on negativity and finding things to complain about. Same stuff, game after game, years after year by basically the same group. It's becoming a chore to log on a read some of this stuff anymore.

Offline herd1990

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 11:00:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree with all the above.  I, for one, do enjoy some of the banter and the cordial discord that many of us engage in.  I like making my case for certain opinions and challenging those I occasionally disagree with.  But, there are a handful of folks on here who constantly highjack threads with inflammatory and abrasive rebuttals. Almost just looking for a good fight.  Doesn't bother me but also doesn't add much to the board.  I like this board and enjoy engaging, speculating, debating and searching for new info on Herd sports.  Just my 2 cents.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, muherd34

Online 2xBison

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 11:02:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Amen.  Can't have it.  Send them packing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: DallasGreen, muherd34, horsrman, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 11:14:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you think this board toxic you are sheltered.
    The problem is Marshall sunk tens of millions of dollars into football.  While doing this they have hired nothing but feckless leaders of the program and the athletic department.  It?s been 20 years of a hot mess in one aspect or another.  Snyder, way over his head, Doc player fights in the parking lot recruits getting thrown is jail and pee?ing down his Legg every big game, then you go to Huff the guy to fix it who has never held even a coordinator position in college.  Huff doesn?t like the area makes bad comments about the supporters and Huntington. All while being so secretive about the whole program to cover his ineptitude.  Every mid season we take a nose dive.  Our administration doesn?t say or do anything.

Our fans are tired of the (bleep) and rightly so.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    The problem is Marshall sunk tens of millions of dollars into football.  While doing this they have hired nothing but feckless leaders of the program and the athletic department.  It?s been 20 years of a hot mess in one aspect or another.  Snyder, way over his head, Doc player fights in the parking lot recruits getting thrown is jail and pee?ing down his Legg every big game, then you go to Huff the guy to fix it who has never held even a coordinator position in college.  Huff doesn?t like the area makes bad comments about the supporters and Huntington. All while being so secretive about the whole program to cover his ineptitude.  Every mid season we take a nose dive.  Our administration doesn?t say or do anything.

This board used to be by far the best message board for meaningful conversation and dialect.  Not so much anymore, there are a few who literally hijack every thread and make it about their agenda.  I'm guilty of being an a$$ on here to people also, so I take my own personal responsibility there.  To me that's the "toxic" Wolf is talking about, maybe I'm wrong? 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 11:26:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Herd brother, trust me, we're not sheltered. The point is we all know what you just posted. But it gets posted multiple times a week. It's tiring when bitching and moaning replaces thoughtful discussion. I can find the complaining at a number of social media outlets. This board should be better than that. You guys are better than that.

The following users thanked this post: DallasGreen, GreenBison, herdfan93, Always THE HERD, ru4mu2, muherd34, Flat Tire 2

Online Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Absolutely, some of these guys treat the board like it's a urinal wall at a truck stop.  Just a suggestion but if you would charge a little money, a lot of the nastiness would go away and I think if you did kick someone off, they wouldn't just go make a new username and rejoin over and over, because they'd have to pay again and again. 

If you charged and donated half the money to Nil at least we would be helping athletes, just a thought.

Another thought instead a swear jar, we could have a b!tch and moan jar and we could get the school that private jet they always wanted.
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:37:06 AM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will be the first to admit I have criticized coaching decisions and  the play of players, but some of the posters on this board are just hear to push their self absorbed agenda. A thread can be about softball, baseball,  and they would bring it back to what they want to bitch about. The sad thing is, it is always the same 2 or 3 posters.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DallasGreen, herdfan93, HerdMan84, ru4mu2, muherd34, horsrman

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 11:40:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • NM... not my place. I think many know what needs to be done.
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:43:36 AM by HoPPy785 »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 11:55:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a place to discuss Herd sports.  There have been multiple reasons to be critical of both major sports.  The most upset I have been is with Huff's negative comments about the fans, the school and the area.  He deserves all the heat.

Every school criticizes players and coaches.  Is the board meant to be a fan club or an honest discussion where multiple opinions can be made?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, muherd34

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 11:55:23 AM »

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 12:05:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a place to discuss Herd sports.  There have been multiple reasons to be critical of both major sports.  The most upset I have been is with Huff's negative comments about the fans, the school and the area.  He deserves all the heat.

Every school criticizes players and coaches.  Is the board meant to be a fan club or an honest discussion where multiple opinions can be made?

For me, it's about how the negativity is being presented. Some (especially one) are on repeat. Saying the same thing over and over and over across multiple threads. The same point doesn't need to be typed out 20 times a day. Say it once or twice, make the point and move on. It becomes toxic when you can't escape it in any thread.

Being critical is totally fine. Being negative is totally fine. Crusading your point endlessly is not fine, it's inflammatory.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, svherd, HerdMan84, ru4mu2, muherd34, gochneaur645, MidlandKnight

Offline whf

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 12:09:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually wondering if you're talking about the comments we're making, or the ever-increasing individual battles that are so personal they lose contact with the differences of opinion; like somehow getting into a betting situation.  Some more description of what's not acceptable might be helpful.  Recent actions within the football program need condemnation, hopefully you're not expecting us to stop with such posts as those.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DallasGreen, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herd33

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 12:33:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe personal attacks are unacceptable.  That type of behavior is what creates a toxic atmosphere as far as I'm concerned.
    That goes for statements about players, coaches, and other posters.  If you wouldn't say it to their face, don't type it on the keyboard. 

That said, as a fan, alum, and 4-year letterman of Marshall University, I'll take negativity over apathy every time.
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 12:36:22 PM by herd33 »

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2023, 01:47:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this is a confessional booth now I will come clean as well?.i hate losing? I feel so much better getting that off my plate! Marshall Sports has been my best College sports program to follow for many reasons. Which says something about most all of Fans who follow Marshall all around the World. Whetter or not a Graduate of this fine University there is this unexplainable issue that surrounds it like the Angel?s are missioned here with purpose. Family is all encompassing a word you can say. A spirit of truth is so apart of its culture which comes by hard life experiences like no other places in America for me that is! Go Herd win or lose We are Marshall!

Online 2xBison

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 04:04:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

well, for people with brains, this forum is meant to be a place to discuss herd sports, pro and con.  Praise and criticize.  OBVIOUSLY, we have numerous adults (youngsters don't care about message boards or FB) that don't have enough sense to present their criticisms or concerns in a proper manner.

The problem is we have a bunch of morons that make it personal to the players or coaches ("trash"), or can't make their critical comments one time, they make their same points 10 times in one day all while stating they don't buy tickets or donate.  Oh, and we get to hear the same things 10 times every day.  Great for the board and great for the University, right?

I think the illiterate fools that think they can rip players, call them trash, and do it repeatedly are a problem  We can't allow these parasite "fans" that do nothing really for our school or programs other than turn on the TV to be part of the problem.  This dysfunctional behavior has to stop.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2023, 06:59:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, for people with brains, this forum is meant to be a place to discuss herd sports, pro and con.  Praise and criticize.  OBVIOUSLY, we have numerous adults (youngsters don't care about message boards or FB) that don't have enough sense to present their criticisms or concerns in a proper manner.

The problem is we have a bunch of morons that make it personal to the players or coaches ("trash"), or can't make their critical comments one time, they make their same points 10 times in one day all while stating they don't buy tickets or donate.  Oh, and we get to hear the same things 10 times every day.  Great for the board and great for the University, right?

I think the illiterate fools that think they can rip players, call them trash, and do it repeatedly are a problem  We can't allow these parasite "fans" that do nothing really for our school or programs other than turn on the TV to be part of the problem.  This dysfunctional behavior has to stop.
    You're point is proven.  https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=117395.0

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms

Offline svherd

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2023, 08:27:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, I enjoy reading the posts and what all posters think. And yes, I have been overly negative at times - it's not easy being a Herd fan sometimes. But what I don't do and hope I never have, is make it personal and resort to name calling. We're all not gonna agree, but certainly all want the same result - success for Marshall teams and athletes. Making it personal does no good and not sure why some go down that road.
    I don't believe in calling players names and insulting them. Critical of play, yes. Critical of coaches and the AD, most certainly. But calling names just doesn't add anything to the discussion. jmo.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, muherd34, chris88, luckytoes99, scope58

Offline chris88

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, I enjoy reading the posts and what all posters think. And yes, I have been overly negative at times - it's not easy being a Herd fan sometimes. But what I don't do and hope I never have, is make it personal and resort to name calling. We're all not gonna agree, but certainly all want the same result - success for Marshall teams and athletes. Making it personal does no good and not sure why some go down that road.
    I don't believe in calling players names and insulting them. Critical of play, yes. Critical of coaches and the AD, most certainly. But calling names just doesn't add anything to the discussion. jmo.

I'll add to this two things that I think would be good practices.  And these are things I too have been guilty about in the past:

- Don't beat the dead horse. Example: We know where Herdbust stands in regards to DD. There is really no need to have the same opinion iterated throughout several threads basically saying the same thing. Even if many are in agreement, at some point it just clogs the drains and becomes counterproductive.
    - Similarly, those who engage every thread of beating dead horse just enflame the situation by inviting tit for tat responses that eventually turn into personal attacks among posters....which wastes most people's time.  This is the thing that makes the other board, imo, far inferior as almost every thread sinks into this type of adolescent uselessness. When most people see updates to threads they have engaged in, they generally assume there has been some productive thoughts to the thread or new info added. What they often find, however, is two or three people bickering back and forth trying to one up a previous insult. Fot what? Just let it go
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, svherd, biggreenarms, HerdMan84, muherd34, horsrman, luckytoes99

Offline goherd24

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 02:42:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can handle negativity. It's better than apathy, and nothing. That's when boards and fanbases die. At least someone cares enough to bitch and complain still. When you're in trouble and stop fighting is when it's over, just like a marriage that's in trouble.

That being said personal vendettas is the problem. I know that bust, big city and bison, specifically have an issue with everything I post, and I give it right back to them when they do it. It's childish of them and myself. That's the crap everyone is tired of. I've reached out to bust to try to offer an olive branch but it hasn't really changed anything. Not sure it'd make a damn bit of difference for big city or bison, for me to do the same, but I'll give it a shot for the boards sake. I apologize for those posts with petty arguing.

As far criticism of a players play, or our coaches, as well as praise, that i will offer my opinion on and reasons and defend those same until i am proven right or wrong. Same as my opinion on anything. That's what a message board is for.

I fear the day when we log on here, as i see with many fanbases, and the last post is weeks old. I used to try to find opponents forums and see what they have to say and so many had posts that were 9 months old when i went to look because their forums and fanbase are non-existent.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

Online 2xBison

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can handle negativity. It's better than apathy, and nothing. That's when boards and fanbases die. At least someone cares enough to bitch and complain still. When you're in trouble and stop fighting is when it's over, just like a marriage that's in trouble.

That being said personal vendettas is the problem. I know that bust, big city and bison, specifically have an issue with everything I post, and I give it right back to them when they do it. It's childish of them and myself. That's the crap everyone is tired of. I've reached out to bust to try to offer an olive branch but it hasn't really changed anything. Not sure it'd make a damn bit of difference for big city or bison, for me to do the same, but I'll give it a shot for the boards sake. I apologize for those posts with petty arguing.

As far criticism of a players play, or our coaches, as well as praise, that i will offer my opinion on and reasons and defend those same until i am proven right or wrong. Same as my opinion on anything. That's what a message board is for.

I fear the day when we log on here, as i see with many fanbases, and the last post is weeks old. I used to try to find opponents forums and see what they have to say and so many had posts that were 9 months old when i went to look because their forums and fanbase are non-existent.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2023, 02:56:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Case and point of why trying to get along with you is impossible.

This goes all the way back to you literally calling the NCAA licensing authority when I was selling cornhole boards on here with Marshall logos on them. Lol you're something else, and not a positive something else

Online 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 03:02:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Case and point of why trying to get along with you is impossible.

This goes all the way back to you literally calling the NCAA licensing authority when I was selling cornhole boards on here with Marshall logos on them. Lol you're something else, and not a positive something else

You are a liar.  Things are adding up now.  Why would you think I called them?  Good lord.

If your pea brain is having memory issues let me help -- we discussed me possibly buying a set and I did not.  That's the limit to me and anything related to cornhole and you.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline goherd24

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 03:03:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are a liar.  Things are adding up now.  Why would you think I called them?  Good lord.

If your pea brain is having memory issues let me help -- we discussed me possibly buying a set and I did not.  That's the limit to me and anything related to cornhole and you.

Yeah buddy. Like I said, done with your garbage. No more replies.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 03:03:59 PM »