Author Topic: Hello from Arkansas!  (Read 975 times)

Hello from Arkansas!
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »
  • [Like]10
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I know we?re still waiting on official confirmation still wanted to say greetings and say how exciting it is to have Marshall in the league! The Thundering Herd have a great brand and great history and having y?all alongside Southern Miss are real steals in the G5 level!

HerdFans.com

Hello from Arkansas!
    « on: October 24, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »

Offline HoPPy785

Re: Hello from Arkansas!
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I know we?re still waiting on official confirmation still wanted to say greetings and say how exciting it is to have Marshall in the league! The Thundering Herd have a great brand and great history and having y?all alongside Southern Miss are real steals in the G5 level!

Thanks! The vast majority of us are very excited in our future with the Sun Belt. I look forward to forming new rivalries and visiting new college towns. The future is bright for the Belt! I've already watched more Sun Belt games than CUSA this season.

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 03:24:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice of you to drop by.

You won't have to read very many post on the board to understand we're very excited about joining the Sun Belt.  We are ready and looking forward to it.

Offline clovenhoof

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Thanks buddy!!

Howdy Herd!!

"Oh just calm down and write that check for the Vision Campaign..."  Thundering In MD

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 03:44:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know quite a bit may have little knowledge of Astate so here?s some basic information and link to our athletic facilities

https://astateredwolves.com/sports/2019/10/1/207076.aspx

Town: Jonesboro (2021 population est: 80, 714) it is right at an hour from Memphis, 2 hours from Little Rock and 4 hours from St Louis).

2021 fall enrollment: 13,772

Historically Astate has only recently begun being a successful competitive program, winning a share of their first SBC title in 2005 and earning their first ever bowl game as an FBS member (a 31-19 defeat to Southern Miss). this championship had to be vacated later due to ineligible players.

In the last 10 years Astate has won 5 SBC titles ( 3 outright, 2 shared) and went to 9 straight bowl games from 2011-2019, and made big time hires with the likes of Hugh freeze, Gus malzahn, Bryan harsin, Blake Anderson and currently Butch Jones (who have gone on to coach at the likes of Auburn, Ole Miss, Liberty, UCF Utah State, Boise State and Alabama).

The following users thanked this post: beau42m, herdfan129

Offline forphase1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for stopping by and for the info.  Excited to be joining the Sun Belt and looking forward to some great football!

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 04:47:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Super excited to be in the SBC.  Thing we(smiss@odu) come out the biggest winners in CUSA.  Look forward to trips in our new conference!  GO HERD!

Offline luvherd

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 05:15:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks!
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 05:28:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope it's true!  We can't get a straight answer out of our people about what's going on.  They had a poll and 70 percent of Herd fans wanted to go to the SBC.  Most of our alumni are in the south; we've had a previous history with Appy and Coastal/Myrtle Beach is Huntington's second home. Also with the Virginia schools. Always got along with Southern Miss folks

You will find that we are the most welcoming fans in America.  Danny's enthusiasm will make you a better basketball conference.  The ACC has invited our national champion soccer program to make them a 12th team.  We can have a great basketball tournament where everyone can drive to and is not so  far away in Texas.  It was a great atmosphere when we were in the SoCon and it was held in Asheville. The management of C-USA sucks!

I'm a old man now (I was at Marshall during the plane crash) but, 50 - years - ago, I worked two college summers in LA and AR treating railroad rights-of-way (MoPac and SP) with vegetation control programs -- great times among good people.  You'll find that we are a lot alike. 

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 06:34:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The ACC has invited our national champion soccer program to make them a 12th team.

WHAT!?!?!?!?
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, wasbarryb, beau42m, herdfan129

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks and thanks for joining the last best HERD Fans site.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 07:48:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The ACC has invited our national champion soccer program to make them a 12th team.

WHAT!?!?!?!?

I stumbled over that also.  Since he and I were both on campus when the plane went down, I can say let's be kind to Ole Tim, he is clearly an old man.  ;D

But for our visitor's sake let's point out the ACC already has 12 full time members and internet board talk has brought up the possibility of associate membership for the Herd.  Most people consider the associate membership in the AAC a pipedream.  Also if you aren't aware of it, Marshall's soccer program is the current reigning national champion in soccer and ranked #3 in the current season's national ranking.  Clearly finding a home for such a program is a real concern for us since the Belt doesn't currently do soccer.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 07:48:36 PM »

Offline Saberman84

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 08:39:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really looking forward to the games coming from the Sunbelt. I found myself looking to catch some of their games yesterday. Something to note (if I got this right lol)...

Sunbelt is 9/11 vs MAC and CUSA for 81% winning percentage
    MAC is 3/7 vs Sunbelt and CUSA for 42% winning percentage
    CUSA is 1/8 vs Sunbelt and MAC for 12% winning percentage

Clearly we are getting an upgrade by going to the Sunbelt and will make teh quality even better. Great things ahead!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline herd2win

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 08:46:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for stopping by, looking forward to the nee conference mates.

Offline svherd

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I stumbled over that also.  Since he and I were both on campus when the plane went down, I can say let's be kind to Ole Tim, he is clearly an old man.  ;D

But for our visitor's sake let's point out the ACC already has 12 full time members and internet board talk has brought up the possibility of associate membership for the Herd.  Most people consider the associate membership in the AAC a pipedream.  Also if you aren't aware of it, Marshall's soccer program is the current reigning national champion in soccer and ranked #3 in the current season's national ranking.  Clearly finding a home for such a program is a real concern for us since the Belt doesn't currently do soccer.

Actually, that's been a rumor floating around - IF the Belt doesn't start to sponsor men's soccer again - with the new additions added to the the schools that do have soccer programs, they may just do that.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »