Author Topic: WVU-Marshall Agree to Series  (Read 926 times)

Offline W0lfman

WVU-Marshall Agree to Series
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:39:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
     NetNews  
    Football: WVU-Marshall Agree to Series

By John Antonik for MSNsportsNET.com
    May 17, 2005
    MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University and Marshall University have agreed on a seven-year football series beginning in 2006 in Morgantown, Gov. Joe Manchin announced Tuesday morning in Charleston.

“Today these schools have entered a new chapter that I believe will benefit both universities,” said Manchin. “The desire of so many of us has now become a reality.”

Four games will be played in Morgantown in 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2012, and two games are guaranteed in Huntington in 2007 and 2010. A seventh game in 2009 will be played at the home site of the team that has the better record after the first three games.

The visiting team shall receive a flat fee guarantee of $150,000 for the 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011 contests. A guarantee of $200,000 will be paid for the 2008 game in Morgantown and $250,000 for the game in Morgantown in 2012 at 60,000-seat Milan Puskar Stadium. For the 2009 match up, if the game is played in Morgantown Marshall will receive a guarantee of $250,000 while West Virginia will be paid a $200,000 guarantee if the game is played in 40,000-seat Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

Schools will be allotted 5,000 tickets for each game. Officials for the contest shall be a complete crew appointed by the home team’s conference.

West Virginia University president David C. Hardesty Jr., WVU Director of Athletics Ed Pastilong and football coach Rich Rodriguez were in Charleston for the formal announcement.

“In a game that honors champions I think it’s fair for us to say this morning that the governor has championed this series of football games,” said Hardesty. “We are pleased to play our role to honor that series.”

“We’re looking forward to (the game), it’s going to be a very competitive situation: two fine programs that are very proud of what they have accomplished with their football programs,” said Pastilong. “I’m hoping that both teams have great seasons this fall and get ready for the start of next year’s series.”

The home team shall have the right to negotiate and authorize live television coverage of the games. All rights fees shall be distributed according to existing or future agreements between the conferences.

The two teams have met five prior times, the last being in Morgantown in 1997 when West Virginia won 42-31. The Mountaineers have won all five meetings.

“I have a great amount of respect for Marshall University and particularly their football program,” Rodriguez said. “What Bob Pruett has done there building their football program up to be nationally respected and I’m sure Coach (Mark) Snyder and his staff will do the same thing. All football games are important to us, I promise you. Even though there is extra incentive in this series it is important to us to win every game, no matter who we’re playing and this will be no exception.”

West Virginia-Marshall Football Series

Date Place Time Home Team
    Sept. 2, 2006 Morgantown TBA West Virginia
    Sept. 8, 2007 Huntington TBA Marshall
    Sept. 13, 2008 Morgantown TBA West Virginia
    Oct. 3, 2009 To Be Determined TBA TBA
    Sept. 11, 2010 Huntington TBA Marshall
    Sept. 3, 2011 Morgantown TBA West Virginia
    Sept. 1, 2012 Morgantown TBA West Virginia

http://msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?cat=netnews&story=7954&print=1