Author Topic: The water stops its flow today  (Read 1591 times)

Offline GK4Herd

The water stops its flow today
« on: November 14, 2007, 05:27:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In just a few minutes the water that flows over the twisted spires of the Memorial Fountain will slowly trickle to a halt. And as art imitates life, the event will give pause to those who understand that life is truly a miraculous experience enjoyed but for a fleeting moment. And as the trees of Autumn fill the campus, painted in its glorious splendor by the brushes of nature, deep within our souls lie the innate awareness that a dormant and lifeless Winter is quickly approaching. Listen carefully as the water’s stream comes to an end, because it is in the pursuing silence that the voices of those we honor speak.

This day will always be special for those who are a part of the Marshall family. It is not only a day of mourning and remembrance of the lives that were so abruptly ended…but it is also a celebration of the flow of life. Although we grieve the finality of the youth interrupted on that cold, dark, November night in 1970, we need to rejoice in the spirit that arose from the tragedy. A spirit that still permeates the souls of those who call Marshall home.

As the water goes still, listen carefully for the voices. They have been speaking to us all along. They spoke to us when the decision was made to continue their game. Their voices sang as the fans exalted in the glory of our win over Xavier as if to say we’re still among you. Their voices were heard as the ball sailed through the uprights marking Marshall’s climb from the remnants of tragedy to the height of national champs.

So as we stop momentarily to remember those who died, it is fitting to lament their untimely departure, but it is equally fitting to celebrate what they continue to give.
    « Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:05:47 AM by W0lfman »

Offline go1970herd

Re: The water stops it flow today
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Herd and Feel the Thunder

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

What a post....  Thanks for that it was truly wonderful.
    GO HERD!!!

Offline Sally

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • nice.

Offline _sturt_

Re: The water stops its flow today
    « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:37:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GK4 is the Max Lucado of HerdFans.com and all Herd-dom.

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excellent post!
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline ThunderZone

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read this the first time the day of the memorial and got all teary eyed at work ...

I made a copy of it to email to some friends and family ... To show them how eloquently GK put into words what it means to be a part of the Marshall Family.

I have a family member that works in the football office in Annapolis for the Naval Academy ... Not even 5 minutes after I sent it I received a reply back saying how touching the email was and that there were 6 different coaches that came by to read it including HC Paul Johnson ... They were all so moved by it that they asked to have it forwarded to them.

Then I was told that it would not be a surprise if this isn't something that is brought up to the team in a talk at practice or even a pre-game speach ...

GK, I meant to email or PM this to you because I thought that was a nice add to your post and I wanted to make sure that you knew about it ... I got side tracked with things and forgot ... This post reminded me.

Sorry for the delay in getting that story to you ... Great piece and it sums up as well as you possibly could what it means when we say WE ARE ... MARSHALL.

Nice work GK.

Offline GK4Herd

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, ThunderZone...that is so cool! Thank you for sharing that with me.  It really made my day.

Offline ThunderZone

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah GK, I thought that was really cool as well ... I wanted to make sure to relay that message to you.

Glad you enjoyed it ... And thanks again for sharing your piece with us ... That was an incredible piece of writing and an awsome depiction of what it means to be a part of this family.