Author Topic: Marshall fans have lost a true friend.....  (Read 9293 times)

Offline Lake Norman Thunder 1

• Junior Varsity
  • GKI Member Since 02/2009
Re: Marshall fans have lost a true friend.....
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2007, 05:19:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW terrible news so sorry to hear about Photo By....

RIP fellow herd fan!!
    Spreadin the word of the HERD in the SOUTH!!!

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tragic. I just know I will catch myself wondering
    why photo by hasn't been posting a few weeks
    from now.

He really helped make the herdfans what it is.

Condolences,

p2m

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline HerdMan84

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Never met Photo By but I enjoyed reading his posts. If he is a son of Marshall, and I am a son of Marshall. . . that makes us Brothers.

Offline jn4theHERD

• All American
    • Member Since 09/2012
    « Reply #78 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We just pm each other last week. He had done me a favor by copying the 1992 national championship tape to DVD for me. I was waiting on my copy from him. He went way out of his way to do this for me.

I cannot believe this has happened. He was truely a nice person and will be missed. 

jn

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2007, 10:49:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Terrible news!
    KD was a great Herd fan and will be greatly missed by all.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2007, 04:06:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OMG!!!

Damn, we will miss you Photo By.

I am shocked.  I guess the longer we stay on here the more it will happen..

:'( :'(

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2007, 04:11:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Damn!!  I never met the guy and I am crying. 

You don't go into an internet cafe in Manila and expect anything like this....

damn.....

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

Offline Blade

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I loved KD Lawson.

In the short time that I had the pleasure of calling KD my friend, he impacted my life in such a way that his passing left a hole that will take some time to fill.  My selfishness for his friendship has unleashed many unwanted emotions.  Emotions that have caught me by surprise.  Emotions reserved for only my closest of friends and family.

KD was as selfless an individual as I've met.  His kindness, consideration and respect for others knew no bounds.  His love for people shown like a beacon in his presence.  His strength and rationale quelled any disturbance.  His voice and words soothed me.

He was an extremely creative and talented person.  He was one of the brightest photographers to graduate from Marshall.  His love for Marshall was genuine and undaunted, as was his effort to improve all things Marshall.

As a member of Smokin' Thunder, his footprint will be forever entrenched.  Our logo, which will never change again, was the work of KD.  His love for the camaraderie and ambassadorship of the tailgate was tasted by everyone that had one his spiked delicacies.   These are the saddest of days for Smokin' Thunder and Herd Fans.  We have lost a large part of what has made us special.  We have lost a dear friend.

As I pen this post, I mourn.

I loved KD Lawson.

Offline marshall1123

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2007, 09:27:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will miss reading your posts photoby. I pray that God will comfort your family and ease their pain.  :'(

Offline From Ashes to Glory

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #84 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Peace to him and his family.  :-[

Offline Herd Tattoo

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks to whomever created the memorial of KD. It is ironic that I took that  photo of Photoby, as he was taking pictures that day in Atlanta at the WAM filming.
    When the still promo shots came out on the internet He said 'Hey Bob, check this out, we are in this photo. How cool is that?' The picture was cropped at the top and all you could see were our legs and forearms from the waist down. He had regognized his Marshall watch. Always a jokester.
    That was our last road trip together.

Goodbye big guy, I hope you are in the woodworking shop, you always wanted, in the sky.

Offline Herd at Work

• Junior Varsity
    • Still wearin the green- and still winnin
    « Reply #86 on: November 15, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My condolences to the family. You will be missed. As sons of Marshall I consider you a brother . I will miss you .
    "At Marshall we play for championships"-Bob Pruett

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just reading these posts is incredible.  If I live my life and manage to get half of this said about me I will consider myself a huge success.  I never met Photo but he was always the voice that calmed any debate and was always a voice of reason and logic.  He was certainly a huge part of the Marshall family and we will surely miss him.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HZ1973

• Rookie
    « Reply #88 on: November 15, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am still in shock…
    Thanks to all who have posted about our friend...
    Blade, that was really nice…
    Bob, I have money ready to give for a Photo/Journalism scholarship at MU in KD’s Honor…

He will definitely be missed by all…

God bless his family, RIP big guy.....

HZ
    Gooooooooooooooooo HERD...
    HZ1973

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #89 on: November 15, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My wife and are are very sad. KD always had a smile on his face and made the best cake. This passng brings many tears to my eyes. KD you will be missed my Herd brother.

Offline Blade

« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2007, 08:39:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am still in shock…
    Thanks to all who have posted about our friend...
    Blade, that was really nice…
    Bob, I have money ready to give for a Photo/Journalism scholarship at MU in KD’s Honor…

He will definitely be missed by all…

God bless his family, RIP big guy.....

HZ

Thanks Howard.  I meant every word.  I was out of town in New Orleans when I heard.  Truly sad days.  I will not forget him.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2007, 10:43:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is a link to KD's obituary from the Knoxville paper.

http://www.legacy.com/knoxnews/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=98058484
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline cubsrams1

• All American
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #92 on: November 16, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought I had never KD him until muphoto's post.

I was in muphoto's daughter's wedding, and had no idea that the photographer was our own photoby.

I remember talking about MU football with him and walking away thinking to myself..."that guy knows his stuff."

He'll surely be missed.

Offline greenanwhite

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 08/2013
    « Reply #93 on: November 16, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did not know KD personally although i'm sure i enjoyed some of his tailgate far from time to time... he will certainly be missed from the herd family..  may god provide comfort to his loved ones. 

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Got to meet him at the tailgates........Blade said his "spirited desserts"
    were top drawer............sure am sorry for his girls...........maybe we can
    designate one of the beautiful Oct tailgates each yr the "Jimbo and KD
    Tailgate? Herdfans like those two guys deserve at least that much!

Offline Oh Herd CR

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #95 on: November 16, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • KD was a senior at Marshall when I was a freshman.

I remember him most for his work as Art Director of the Chief Justice (Marshall Yearbook) 1974-1975.

For over 30 years I've toted around my 4 Chief Justice yearbooks.  They are like dear friends that remind me of great times with great people.  I enjoy looking at them and remembering a carefree life of building relationships with life-long friends, having fun, and learning.  (Although not always in the classroom.)   8)

The Chief Justice helped curb homesickness while I was over 2800 miles away for 18 years after graduation.  They helped me forge a bond with the memories and offered soltice through hard times and made me smile many, many times. 

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  So KD's work of 1974-1975 tell hundreds of thousands of stories.

The Chief Justice that KD art directed was the best of my 4 and an exceptional yearbook, in my opinion.  It tells a story of life that year at Marshall.  The photography is exceptional.  He did a spread on "a day of people and personalities" and "night life". 

I am not sure which sports photographs were his, but they are outstanding.  There are shots of baseball players in the dugout, active/impact photos of the football team at practice and games, and lots of fan shots throughout the pages.

I never got the chance to tell him "thank you" but I think you can tell how very much I appreciated him/his wonderful work.

Connie
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:30:01 PM by Oh Herd CR »
    Well done is better than well said.  - Ben Franklin

Offline Blade

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2007, 05:29:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Got to meet him at the tailgates........Blade said his "spirited desserts"
    were top drawer............sure am sorry for his girls...........maybe we can
    designate one of the beautiful Oct tailgates each yr the "Jimbo and KD
    Tailgate? Herdfans like those two guys deserve at least that much!

That's and excellent idea Sam.

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #97 on: November 16, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been out of town all week, and just saw this today. Very sad news. I never met him personally, but his posts on this board were great.

My condolences to his family, and friends.

Offline Chevy1

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2007, 08:02:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the only contact I had with "Photo By" was on these boards and chat rooms during games.  During those sessions, I learned Chevy's ad agency had actually hired KD to take photos for "Corvette Quarterly" and other pubs.  Which made me very happy because I was the publisher of those pubs at the time.  Of course, the photos were always first class. 

During those "chats", I learned we had many of the same profs at MU, and I always enjoyed my chats with the guy.  He was a great, great fan of the Herd..... always conducted himself with grace, style and possessed an outstanding sense of humor. 

The fact he had the good sense to "light" in Knoxville, TN speaks volumes for his good sense - and, having lived 11 years in Detroit, I do envy him for living in such a great place.

Like most here - I'm shocked and saddened with the news of his loss.  He will be missed.... but he will most definitely be remembered.  God Bless him and his family.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Several times every day I find myself drawn to this thread. I have read every post over and over, and I just can not believe that it is true. K.D. was a wonderful man. He never wanted the spotlight, but would do everything he could to put someone else in it. The love he had for his daughters and brand new grandchild were evident in everything he did. I will miss talking with K.D. I will miss his humor, his wit and his ability to see the through mess to find the answer. I will miss my friend K.D. but I certainly will never forget him.

Rest in peace my friend, rest in peace.
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans