Author Topic: I am so glad i went to practice tonight  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Apollo

Re: I am so glad i went to practice tonight
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Glad that speech worked for you. Obviously it didn’t work for anyone else. Guys our two major sports are in big trouble.
    Lol, when DD has a whole season and a half of total meltdowns and two whole seasons of O-fer against teams with a pulse, call us. Until then can you actually go "MIA"?

I'm not happy about the outcome, but we went cold shooting in the second half. We shot well in the first and led the biggest part of it. If shots fall in the 2nd like the 1st its a different game even with our turnovers.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »

Offline MIA

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about a 48% winning %?

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about a 48% winning %?

I guess you are counting that 20+ losses in his first year after he cleaned house?

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Glad that speech worked for you. Obviously it didn’t work for anyone else. Guys our two major sports are in big trouble.

LOL....Unreal!!!!!

Offline MIA

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Take out year 1 he is 54 %.

Offline MIA

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LA Tech was 12-20 last in the WAC at 2-14 in 2010-2011. Hired Mike White and went 18-16, 27-7, 29-8, and 27-9. What should we expect? Legit question.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LA Tech was 12-20 last in the WAC at 2-14 in 2010-2011. Hired Mike White and went 18-16, 27-7, 29-8, and 27-9. What should we expect? Legit question.

What should we expect? Maybe you won't be a Marshall basketball fan?

Offline Apollo

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Take out year 1 he is 54 %.
    John's first 3 years were 45%....last 3 were 55% in year 8.

LA Tech was 12-20 last in the WAC at 2-14 in 2010-2011. Hired Mike White and went 18-16, 27-7, 29-8, and 27-9. What should we expect? Legit question.

Improvement every year, which DD has done thus far. Alot of games left this season, calm down.

Offline MIA

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 09:14:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First off what does Doc record have to do with this debate? I am Not in favor of him staying on as HC.
    What I am asking is what metrics determines growth? I compared us to a Conf rival similar to us, So if we go 17-15 which is very possible, is that growth? I am Rooting for the guy and support the program financially. But I am sorry our recruiting of talent leaves a lot to be desired.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our recruiting has been very good the last 2 classes.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our recruiting has been very good the last 2 classes.

Statement open for debate under any reasonable criteria.  Still waiting to see if Williams, Bledsoe will develop into quality, everyday starting players.  Thieneman had a red shirt year; still hasn't demonstrated that he can be anything but a few minute role player.  Williams was also redshirted, presumedly to help him mature, grow stronger, etc.  Most of you who have observed practices indicate that George would benefit from a redshirt year also. Yet, we still tend to resemble more the "98 pound weakling" than the mature, strong kind of front line players that will be necessary to compete at the very top of the league.  Next year we'll have a kid from Ohio listed as 6'7" weighing 170#, which means RAIL THIN!!  Guess his first year he'll require a redshirt, again to mature and "bulk up".  Finally, Dillon, from Mingo Central list as 6-4, or 6-5, and I was talking today to a man who refs HS football and he said Dillon is really about a solid 220# or so, and can really run.  So, he possibly can help out immediately either as a small forward or off guard, behind Elmore or Burks.  However, most people I've talked to from Williamson area swear that he is a better Football player than basketball player. 

So, right now, from a physical toughness/muscle department on the front line, we are completely lacking anything close to what Kelly and Taylor gave us in the last two season.  Issue should improve greatly with our two "big" bigs coming in next season, and with Penava and some of the other front line players gaining another year of maturity, experience, S&C work, etc.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is year 4....why didn't Danny know he needed some type of inside presence and have a couple of players ready to step in this season....not acceptable to talk about next year...he knew what class these guys were.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »

Online mu79grad

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't Danny say that if he was not getting the job done he will step aside and not have to be forced out?  Now, I also think he said something to the effect that it would be 5-6 years before his system would be fully implemented.  So, I'm willing to wait the five plus years to see if this program can at least get to the NIT.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm also willing to be more patient with basketball because

1. The Bball team hasn't been relevant since the 80s in the grand scheme of things.

2. DD inherited a bigger dumpster fire than Doc in my opinion, Herrion really set us back 4 or 5 season in my opinion.

3. We have a lot of local kids and our style has grown basketball excitement and attendance.

4. DD's kids don't get in trouble off the court and are great ambassadors for the school. Would rather win 54% of my games with those kind of players than 65% with ones that get in trouble especially if they mean no CUSA titles.

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, herdfan129

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD has 15 kids........Doc has over a hundred.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So lets get evryone on record. It sounds like some are unhappy with danny and would like him to step aside.  If you are complaing that means you think he isnt getting it done. Step up, who wants him gone? And dont straddle the fence. Speak up now because i want names. I want to show how irrational you were next year.

Offline MIA

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh no - he wants names!!!
    You do realize it usually takes a year for a player who  sitting out a year to get back into form? Also what happens if your PG leaves? Be careful dude,  with all the “next year” talk. Lots of variables. Plus it’s tired.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    You do realize it usually takes a year for a player who  sitting out a year to get back into form? Also what happens if your PG leaves? Be careful dude,  with all the “next year” talk. Lots of variables. Plus it’s tired.

So ill take you as a yes. Got it!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83

Offline forphase1

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do I want him gone?  No.  But I'm also not sure I'm buying all the Kool-aid that he, and his supporters, are selling.  I think there is a middle ground between completely supporting every single thing Danny does and says and saying to fire him.  I think it's fine to be critical of some of the decisions that have been made, some of the recruits (or the lack thereof) that we have seen, and some of the results.  I think he deserves another year or two for us to see if his plan can come to fruition, but I don't believe that just blindly following him and 'loving his speeches' while ignoring the on the court results is necessarily right either.  Facts are he has an overall losing record, and if you want to throw out his first year, he is slightly above .500.  And MIA brought out a great example of a conference mate and how quickly they were able to turn around that program.  I see no problem with questioning the direction of the basketball program, as the results, to date, has been a mixed bag for sure.  Seen some great things, and have seen some very troubling things.  Funny, but I could say the same thing about the football program....saw some great things with Cato here, but otherwise....  Just my opinion.

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, coalherd

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is year 4....why didn't Danny know he needed some type of inside presence and have a couple of players ready to step in this season....not acceptable to talk about next year...he knew what class these guys were.

No one expected Thompson to leave at the last minute, and we had hopes of Bennet getting eligible.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't Danny say that if he was not getting the job done he will step aside and not have to be forced out?  Now, I also think he said something to the effect that it would be 5-6 years before his system would be fully implemented.  So, I'm willing to wait the five plus years to see if this program can at least get to the NIT.

He has been truthful the entire time so far. If there is any man who has earned and/or deserves extra time it is DD.

In addition to all of that, you can visually see the program progressing each year.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:27:46 AM by herdfan129 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Is this dude a troll?

The following users thanked this post: Apollo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do I want him gone?  No.  But I'm also not sure I'm buying all the Kool-aid that he, and his supporters, are selling.  I think there is a middle ground between completely supporting every single thing Danny does and says and saying to fire him.  I think it's fine to be critical of some of the decisions that have been made, some of the recruits (or the lack thereof) that we have seen, and some of the results.  I think he deserves another year or two for us to see if his plan can come to fruition, but I don't believe that just blindly following him and 'loving his speeches' while ignoring the on the court results is necessarily right either.  Facts are he has an overall losing record, and if you want to throw out his first year, he is slightly above .500.  And MIA brought out a great example of a conference mate and how quickly they were able to turn around that program.  I see no problem with questioning the direction of the basketball program, as the results, to date, has been a mixed bag for sure.  Seen some great things, and have seen some very troubling things.  Funny, but I could say the same thing about the football program....saw some great things with Cato here, but otherwise....  Just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with this.

I agree about the recruiting early on, but I think it's safe to say that DD has started to figure out recruiting. This years team is super young, especially in terms of actual college game experience. But look how much more athletic and how much longer these guys are. Notice how we haven't had any more Nokilic's or Mijovich's coming from across the water? Koljanin at least played some JUCO ball.

I also do not count DDs first year against him.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall, herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Nothing wrong with this post at all. But some just look at the moment and can't see ahead of them and the future at all. I think it is fair to say it took DD a couple years to get into the recruiting thing. And he has said from day one he doesn't want a quick fix with a bunch of Juco's. And how much was that LT coach making? What was his recruiting budget? Now looking at the future, let's look at some FACTS. And these are yes and no questions. Does DD players get better? The answer has to be yes, because every single player he gets gets much better. Does his teams get better during the year? Every year they have gotten better as the years goes by. Even his first year when he cleaned house and they lost something like 15 of 16 they really started playing well toward the end of the year. You have every single player back next year on paper except Milovic. And you add Watson Cook and Bennett. Look at Peneva as a freshman and then look at him last year as a sophomore. He started having some nice games. And now he is a double double machine and also blocking shots. How good will he be next year at the rate he is progressing? And Williams is in that same mold and will be much better next year as will George. Then you add the 2 big boys in there. And we still haven't seen Watson yet. I know we all want to see that straight line upward in progress. But this year is going to take some time getting the inside game going because they are so young. Yes there was some misses in that first couple recruiting classes. But I haven't seen any misses IMO in the last couple. You just had a freshman that scored 23 on the road at Illinois and gives you great D every second he is on the floor. We are not going to get the 5 star recruits Kentucky does. But the one thing that DD does is get the raw athletic "skilled" players Peneva-Williams-George types and make them into very good players for there size once they get the weight on them. I don't want to wait until next year or hear about next year either because I have been waiting since the Huck days for a great season. But the facts are next year IMO will be that year because of having the entire team back growing and adding the 2 horses inside. But bash away, but i'm willing to watch them grow thru the year and into next year.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:27:29 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Very good post! I believe that everyone wants Danny and DOC to succeed. CUSA is a very weak league in both football and basketball and I think it is reasonable to expect MU football and basketball programs to be at the top of the conference.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:57:09 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »