Author Topic: Herd Pro Day Results?  (Read 856 times)

Online MicDrass1

Herd Pro Day Results?
« on: March 28, 2024, 07:21:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any?

HerdFans.com

Herd Pro Day Results?
    « on: March 28, 2024, 07:21:19 PM »

Offline MLBULL

Re: Herd Pro Day Results?
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 08:14:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ch 3 interviewed Micah Abraham and Owen Porter. Segment stated Micah ran a 4.4 40 and Dalton Tucker had an excellent vertical jump. Owen said Marshall is a ?national brand? and attracted lots of scouts today.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, MicDrass1

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 08:22:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That?s great for Abraham.  He needed that 40

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 09:04:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caleb McMillan with fastest 40 amongst wrs
    4.69 😳

Keaton not run?

Eli Neal run?

Porter - 4.79 and 30 reps on bench / 250lbs
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:10:15 PM by MicDrass1 »

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 07:03:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Odd how the Pro Day numbers are often times much better than reality
    Odd I say

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 07:55:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Odd how the Pro Day numbers are often times much better than reality
    Odd I say

Our fastest WR being a 4.69 sems to match up with the reality of what I've seen from that Corp for years.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, mr_ash_1995, HerdEcon, MicDrass1

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 01:06:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our fastest WR being a 4.69 sems to match up with the reality of what I've seen from that Corp for years.

Our speed at several positions declined in recent years.  We are going to need speed to be successful with an Air Raid offense.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 06:30:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If anyone need a FB or a guy who can play DE, OLB, ILB and special teams, Owen Porter deserves a pick. Just a football player who can help in so many spots. Good to see him put up such strong numbers to back the tape.

But apparently with our speed he should have been a two way player and playing WR

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 09:50:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It?s been apparent watching our games we lack speed.   Lbs struggle to cover as well. 

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 10:36:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our speed at several positions declined in recent years.  We are going to need speed to be successful with an Air Raid offense.

But I thought the "great" Fluff was an ace recruiter?

Grade A BS artist. Our best players are Doc's guys.

JFC we put Captain Choke out to get better not worse

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 01:12:17 PM by Garbanjo »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 12:32:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Owen said Marshall is a ?national brand? and attracted lots of scouts today.

IF Marshall is truly a National Brand (not arguing that it isn't) then that shows you why we should get our act together and make well thought out, calculated, and bold moves hiring both Football and Basketball coaches and put all of our money into those two sports (mostly football). We haven't done anything nationally for TWO DECADES (outside of the Notre Dame & Wichita State wins)...and yet we still have name recognition for our success in the 90's (and very early 2000's). A university can ride a couple spectacular seasons in football for 25 years. The SEC gets this (if you look at what sports they choose to invest in) and many of our conference peers get this, like JMU.

Online elginherd

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 12:47:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our speed at several positions declined in recent years.  We are going to need speed to be successful with an Air Raid offense.
    Speed is always a welcome attribute...but the Air Raid can work with quick receivers who understand the how and why's of their assignments.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 12:47:11 PM »

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 01:48:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WR have to understand their assignments for any passing offense to be successful.  If Huff doesn't have speed to open the field up then his version of the air raid offense is going to look a lot like what we have been seening the last couple seasons, short passes to WRs that get hit immediately.  To be successful an air raid offense has to have speed.

An air raid offense stretches the defense across the field.  If the Defense is playing a zone then the QB keys in on a mismatch or a defender that is going to be forced to make a decision regarding which WR to cover in his zone.  If the Defense is playing man coverage then the QB keys on any mismatch.  Assuming the WRs know their routes and the defense has studied film, fast WRs are the key to beating man coverage and creating mismatches whether the defense is playing zone or man. 

Air raid offenses space offensive linemen further apart which creates blitzing lanes, running lanes, and passing lanes, but also forces DTs and DEs to run further to get to the QB.  The QB must get the ball out of his hands to the WRs quickly.  Short passes are used to defeat any blitz but the WRs have to be fast enough to make the defense respect their speed an back up a step.  Otherwise, the defense would blitz every down and jam the slow WRs at the LOS.  WRs have to be fast enough to get down field before any blitz gets to the QB to effectively stretch the field and force the defense to defend the entire field. 

QBs often get the glory in air raid offenses but the WRs and OL play very important roles.  The OL has to be fast too due to the spacing at the LOS and blitzes.  Who was it that said facing a no huddle air raid offense was like basketball on grass?  Or something close to that.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 04:05:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our like our athleticism at TE this year

Chapman (Wr) has legit speed

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 04:08:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speed is always a welcome attribute...but the Air Raid can work with quick receivers who understand the how and why's of their assignments.

True. I think Josh Davis was in the 4.8 range and Tommy Shuler wasn't that fast (4.7 from what I read), but they did great. One thing we get all tied up about is that we need players with NFL skillsets. We just need good players at our level. Give me the Shulers, the Porters, the Laborns, and the Catos and we'll beat a lot of big teams. The thing about college football is that you are looking for someone who is a good all round player. The NFL is looking for players that have one extreme that is world class.

Someone had said that they wondered by pro day results were so exaggerated. There were rumors an old Pruett receiver (I think his name was Schroder but it was a long time ago) had run a 4.18 on the pro day. Had that actually happened he would have been drafted despite minimal production, but I think it was just a very friendly stopwatch finger.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2024, 04:59:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True. I think Josh Davis was in the 4.8 range and Tommy Shuler wasn't that fast (4.7 from what I read), but they did great. One thing we get all tied up about is that we need players with NFL skillsets. We just need good players at our level. Give me the Shulers, the Porters, the Laborns, and the Catos and we'll beat a lot of big teams. The thing about college football is that you are looking for someone who is a good all round player. The NFL is looking for players that have one extreme that is world class.

Someone had said that they wondered by pro day results were so exaggerated. There were rumors an old Pruett receiver (I think his name was Schroder but it was a long time ago) had run a 4.18 on the pro day. Had that actually happened he would have been drafted despite minimal production, but I think it was just a very friendly stopwatch finger.

Davis I thought was 4.4-4.5.  He was a track guy in Hs.  Never saw anybody catch him.

Offline herdtown

• Practice Squad
    • Member Since 08/2012
    All Herd... All the Time

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 08:22:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Davis I thought was 4.4-4.5.  He was a track guy in Hs.  Never saw anybody catch him.

I think that is correct McDrass. IIRC Josh Davis was not quick, but once he got up to speed he was elite level for college. One example is avoiding the sideline horse-collar at TENN from a defender who had the angle on him. JD turned that flat pass into a 50 yd. TD. Byron finally learned in the 2001 MACC to just loft the ball up and let JD run under it. No way we should have lost that game.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 08:24:07 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 08:22:24 PM »