Author Topic: At least we aren’t Missouri  (Read 8283 times)

Offline HerdHopeful07

Re: At least we aren’t Missouri
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shame on these players. They get a full ride and now they want to be involved in things going on with their campus. They get everything taken care of they should just stick to playing in the fields.....
    Herd Fan because every victory is a little bit sweeter

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes but you're an awesome human being E-man.  I'm referring to the national groups that stir up crap when it suits their agenda, but are largely quiet when it does not.

I appreciate the kind words.. This is 2015, things have changed and for the most part people are getting along better in America, than ever before. The problem lies with a small core group of people. As you mentioned, national groups and their special propaganda b-s agenda's that creates more stir and problems as a whole.

Offline Greg H

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So Herdman and I don't always disagree.

Offline GoHerd2112

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shame on these players. They get a full ride and now they want to be involved in things going on with their campus. They get everything taken care of they should just stick to playing in the fields.....
    From what I understand, this group, and the faculty are upset with this Univeristy President for other reasons.
    Quite a few of the alleged incidents took place off campus. And cannot be verified.
    The PC crowd wins again. He resigned.
    I think we're dealing with a black lives matter crowd down here in Mizzo.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate activists of all varieties.

So MLK, Gandhi, those who participated in sit-ins during the 60's, etc are all crap in your mind? Anybody who doesn't just accept things the way they are is asking too much? Hell, our founding fathers were quite the activists.

For what it's worth, I think this particular protest is ridiculous. Yes, there is a major problem with police treatment of blacks in this country, but the general anger from that issue boiled over at Mizzou to where the president was forced to resign for basically not responding to a Facebook rant.

Offline HerdBlizz

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I got pulled over for speeding on 77 in Virginia a few weeks ago.  I should have yelled racism and profiling since the sheriff deputy was black.  Lol....He was very nice and professional though.  He was sort of like the Ohio Highway Patrol, very nice and polite to you while they keep writing the ticket out.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes but you're an awesome human being E-man.  I'm referring to the national groups that stir up crap when it suits their agenda, but are largely quiet when it does not.

like the kkk?

Offline MUonium

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Activism helped end a war in which our young people were being killed by the hundreds each week.

TRS
    MU 71

+1000

Offline ed swain

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am glad I am retired and and am able to state my views which all are not politically correct.Those who are still working be careful what you say or you might be brought to human resources and fired if you have moral character and believe in God and believe there are some things which are sinful.

Offline sardistim

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am glad I am retired and and am able to state my views which all are not politically correct.Those who are still working be careful what you say or you might be brought to human resources and fired if you have moral character and believe in God and believe there are some things which are sinful.

In today's America EVERYBODY'S views are politically correct to somebody and politically INcorrect to someone else.  Most "non-PC" is required speech to conservative Republicans and thus PC to conservatives. 

There's more to this Missouri situation than meets the eye.  We shouldn't let the headlines get any of us into one liners.

Online herd2win

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In today's America EVERYBODY'S views are politically correct to somebody and politically INcorrect to someone else.  Most "non-PC" is required speech to conservative Republicans and thus PC to conservatives.  

There's more to this Missouri situation than meets the eye.  We shouldn't let the headlines get any of us into one liners.

Not true....you never see conservatives or Christians rioting because they are too busy working and taking care of their families...there have been many recent attacks against the Christian views but the news media never takes issue with that...but if it is a so called minority issue, Muslim, not calling Isis a terrorist organization the media is all over it.
    « Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:53:42 PM by herd2win »

Offline MUther

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 12:49:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • like the kkk?
    absolutely, and the counter groups on the other side.  Louis Farrakhan doesn't like me any more than the grand wizard like E-man.

I'm an equal opportunity hater.  I don't like anybody, equally :p

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 12:49:21 AM »

Offline GoHerd2112

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 05:01:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The more I'm hearing about this whole mess I think a bunch of lunatic faculty had a beef with this President at Mizzuo for other reasons.
    Managed to get the football team involved with a racist sales pitch, and got their way.
    May have turned college football PC and it may never be the same.
    Something tells me this former President there is not a racist.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 05:38:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm inclined to agree, I doubt he was a racist.

It does sound like he was ineffective and lacked the pr/social skills one needs in the job.

As a child of the sixties who does believe people can effect change in a democracy I have mixed feelings whether the football team members actions were the most appropiate means to affect the change, but it does seem to have worked.

Offline Greg H

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 06:04:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The more I'm hearing about this whole mess I think a bunch of lunatic faculty had a beef with this President at Mizzuo for other reasons.
    Managed to get the football team involved with a racist sales pitch, and got their way.
    May have turned college football PC and it may never be the same.
    Something tells me this former President there is not a racist.

winner winner chicken dinner.

And don't give me the Ghandi/MLK crap.  There are exceptions to every rule, and those two certainly are.  As for the I'm *&$#@* in the 1960's, the VAST majority of them were just pussies afraid of being drafted.  Now, I would have opposed that war.  And I do oppose the draft, but being a veteran, I can speak with some credibility on the subject. 

The overwhelming majority of "activist" I'm *&$#@* could do a lot more good for society if they took a shower, got a job, stopped whining and bitching all the time and simply raised families (with a modicum of respect for God, tradition and the philosophy that led to the development of the most magnificent society this world has ever seen.  That means These United States). 

Offline GoHerd2112

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 06:16:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And wasn't Mizzuo just recently a bright shining light on the hill as far as diversity and tolerance with Michael Sam?
    And now they're a bunch of racists? ??? ??? ???

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

BS!  Most of you spouting this view that events at Mizzou are the result of politically correct America run amok have no idea what it's like being Black in this society.  During the course of my life, I encountered a myriad of overt and subtle acts of racism, particularly growing up in West Virginia. I had to stand up at the "Five and Dime" to eat a hot dog while Whites sat. My friends and I were relegated to the balcony at the town's best theatre having to use the fire escape in the back alley to enter.  On my third day as a student at Marshall I was walking down then 16th street near Old Main when one of Huntington's finest pulled up beside me as said, "N$$$$R, you'd better be glad that it's day time because if it wasn't, I'd beat your Black ass.  He laughed and pulled off.  Welcome to Huntington.

However, I've not let these and other indignations hinder the many wonderful personal and professional relationships that I've developed over the years with people of all backgrounds.  While these situations contribute to the stress and anxiety that many people of color experience, they have only made me stronger as a person.  But, they are the reason why I prefer living in large, urban environments that are extremely diverse.

What kills me are the people who love to comment on situations that they have no idea about because of their birthright.  The kids at Missouri are experiencing situations that leave them with the feeling that they are not welcomed in the community and that the UM system perpetuates their exclusion in university life.  The president was NOT accused of being a racist.  He was targeted for his inaction when provided with information about the students concerns and cited his ineffectiveness in managing the overall UM system. (He background is business based and not academic)

I'd love to see some of you big mouths live in an environment in which you were the minority for an extended period of time.  Most of you couldn't survive.  Just because a kid gets a scholarship whether it's athletic or academic, their right of self expression as an American isn't forfeited.  The movement at Missouri was not initiated by the football players.  This has been ongoing for months.  However, their involvement, along with the support of Coach Pinkel and the rest of the staff, as well as members of the faculty tipped the scales in the students favor. I have no doubt that their efforts will result in changes that will ultimately make the University of a Missouri in a better place for all.

Offline GoHerd2112

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

, as well as members of the faculty

Sorry to hear about your experiences growing up, and glad it made you stronger.
    I would like to think we have moved a long way from those days, even in the Huntington area.
    However I think you hit the nail on the head with what I've quoted here.
    I think the faculty is behind this movement at Missouri and used the students as a cover to get this President they disliked removed.
    I also have to wonder as to a lot of these "racist incidents" occurred off campus, and most cannot be verified. Did they happen? Yeah probably. There are bad apples in every basket. Were they exaggerated? Yeah probably.
    I hope Mizzuo can recover from this. Has to damage the schools reputation.

Offline chris88

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BS!  Most of you spouting this view that events at Mizzou are the result of politically correct America run amok have no idea what it's like being Black in this society.  During the course of my life, I encountered a myriad of overt and subtle acts of racism, particularly growing up in West Virginia. I had to stand up at the "Five and Dime" to eat a hot dog while Whites sat. My friends and I were relegated to the balcony at the town's best theatre having to use the fire escape in the back alley to enter.  On my third day as a student at Marshall I was walking down then 16th street near Old Main when one of Huntington's finest pulled up beside me as said, "N$$$$R, you'd better be glad that it's day time because if it wasn't, I'd beat your Black ass.  He laughed and pulled off.  Welcome to Huntington.

However, I've not let these and other indignations hinder the many wonderful personal and professional relationships that I've developed over the years with people of all backgrounds.  While these situations contribute to the stress and anxiety that many people of color experience, they have only made me stronger as a person.  But, they are the reason why I prefer living in large, urban environments that are extremely diverse.

What kills me are the people who love to comment on situations that they have no idea about because of their birthright.  The kids at Missouri are experiencing situations that leave them with the feeling that they are not welcomed in the community and that the UM system perpetuates their exclusion in university life.  The president was NOT accused of being a racist.  He was targeted for his inaction when provided with information about the students concerns and cited his ineffectiveness in managing the overall UM system. (He background is business based and not academic)

I'd love to see some of you big mouths live in an environment in which you were the minority for an extended period of time.  Most of you couldn't survive.  Just because a kid gets a scholarship whether it's athletic or academic, their right of self expression as an American isn't forfeited.  The movement at Missouri was not initiated by the football players.  This has been ongoing for months.  However, their involvement, along with the support of Coach Pinkel and the rest of the staff, as well as members of the faculty tipped the scales in the students favor. I have no doubt that their efforts will result in changes that will ultimately make the University of a Missouri in a better place for all.

I believe his comment was meant to be sarcastic
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What happened to conservatives and the religious right?  They used to be so strong.  They used to get on everyone about being "victims."  Now they play the victim card constantly.  The pc police are after me, they want to crush my religious rights, the media isn't fair....wahh, wahhh, wahhh.  Starbucks is trying to kill Christmas because they don't have snowflakes on their cups anymore.  Get a tissue.  Pull yourselves up by your boot straps.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:22:49 PM by Herd 90 »

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • believe in God and believe there are some things which are sinful.

When it comes to sinnin', everyone does it. It is the great unifier. However, most have a greater distaste for the sins of others than than their own.

Offline GoHerd2112

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe his comment was meant to be sarcastic
    Oh. OK. Don't know who this dude is but it sounded legit.
    But yeah I'll jump in there and debate a black dude on this issue.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beavers as someone who grew up in the 50's and 60's I'd like to believe America has improved during my life time.

To that end would you mind telling us what decade your experiences at Marshall occurred?

Offline Greg H

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All due respect, Beavers, the world has changed.  Sorry if it left you behind, but there is simply not a racist on every corner these days.  I don't blame you for your views. Your younger years sucked in this regard.  But these kids are spoiled little turds demanding their little "safe space" from anything that might make them the least bit uncomfortable.  Most of them have no concept of real discrimination.  Their parents need to beat their ass and tell them to go study and shut the %^&* up.  By the way, your inference that rural people are a bunch of racists is just (bleep).  Shame on you for your prejudice against them.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Missouri needs Michael Sam to come back to campus and he and his white boyfriend can make sweet, sweet love on the President's front lawn....That's fix everything...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »