Author Topic: What we know after South Alabama  (Read 1546 times)

Offline DC01HERD

Re: What we know after South Alabama
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2024, 09:25:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Roster construction/management lost the game yesterday. Our guards can't defend against halfway decent guards. No depth/bench. Guys should transfer.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2, wlf, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2024, 09:25:04 AM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2024, 09:49:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Saw the score .... we took the L - why was Voyles not playing?

Seems we didn?t play any D

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2024, 10:10:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •    One last thought ? could we please replace Mark Martin? If I have to hear him make a brag that we have the oldest head coach in the country one more time ? It seems all he talks about are the coaches on both teams, who players may be related to etc. Very very little about the actual game.

And the historic Henderson center lol.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, miltonherdfan

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2024, 11:15:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 24, the ignore feature seems to be working for me.
    It's made this board so much better.

Currently, it is only available for people that are benefactors to the site.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2024, 11:36:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes we do have an oldtime coach and I am older than he is but I do realize I can't keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result when it's not there.
    He tries but he does not realize the old ways are not always the best. I think the game has passed Danny by and he will soon realize it.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2, Herdalum94, herdorbust2

Online mualum

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2024, 01:51:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is what every damn supporter should know after watching this team the last three to four years. One point and one point only:

If Dan comes back next year at age 77, then I know that Spears needs to demand that he hire a defensive assistant who is in charge of the defensive game plan each and every game.

Period....end of conversation.

Mike in Houston had to take on Jeff Bzdelik as his defensive assistant coach. We need to run this like an operation. And that starts with a coach on the bench with a quality defensive background. There is no excuse in how poor are defense is when we play teams with a pulse.

Switching 6-0 guards onto 6'9" defenders on the block needs to go away. Switching your post player onto a hot shooter needs to go away.

What I know....and have known for several seasons.....is that we desperately need an assistant coach whose sole job is to come up with the defensive gameplan each week. I am sick of the crap I see on defense in games where it counts. We lost today because of poor defense from the get-go and it was even worse coming out of halftime.

If Spears has no say on the head coaching situation, then he needs to make a move on this staff to get a guy in here with a strong defensive coaching background. South Alabama had 78 points with ten minutes left to play in the game.

What you speak of would require Coach and/or Spears (not just the players) to have more, dare I say...resolve...the resolve to do what is necessary to win.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2024, 02:24:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And in the meantime WBB is winning more with a new head coach and win over the Fla Gators from the SEC.  There you have it sports fans.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, svherd, ThunderValley, muherd34

Offline herd1990

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2024, 04:24:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny teams, especially this one, will never have sustained success.  They may win more than they lose but his defensive philosophy won't ever allow his teams to compete for championships against real teams.  The only caveat is if his roster is loaded with talent and their abilities can help compensate for his defensive schemes.  And he's clearly shown he can't recruit that kind of talent outside of Elmore's junior year team. He just isn't going to win at this level (even in this 💩 conference), as long as his teams defend like a bad high school team.  Not gonna happen.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2024, 06:03:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That was one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen in a college basketball game.

We let them score 48 points in the paint while still shooting 40% from three. I feel like I saw Kurfman or another guard get stuck trying to guard one of their bigs under the basket about 5 different times with nobody else within 10 feet to help.

I like Obinna and am glad he's somehow had one of the most insane turnarounds in shooting ability from last year to this year, but he's also become the new Beyers. Absolutely out of control with the ball in his hands and no idea what's gonna happen.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Collis P, herdfan129, Herdalum94, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2024, 06:12:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have you ever had a funny movie and each time you watch it gets a little less funny?  Well that?s our program.  Always no depth on the bench, always keeping guys around that will never see the floor on scholarship, always to slow at guard position running an 4 or 5 out offense, always bad defensively, and always poor rebounding.  It?s just not funny any longer.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan, herdfan129, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2024, 06:37:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That was one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen in a college basketball game.

We let them score 48 points in the paint while still shooting 40% from three. I feel like I saw Kurfman or another guard get stuck trying to guard one of their bigs under the basket about 5 different times with nobody else within 10 feet to help.

I like Obinna and am glad he's somehow had one of the most insane turnarounds in shooting ability from last year to this year, but he's also become the new Beyers. Absolutely out of control with the ball in his hands and no idea what's gonna happen.

I've said the same thing. Yes Obinna has shot better but he is like a wild mustang out there running wild and no idea what he is doing.

Online coalherd

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024, 07:34:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Game could have easily been a "W" if we would have gotten a few quality and productive minutes from the likes of, say, long time veteran players Goran "and Marko,  who seemingly have been part of HERD teams for at least HALF of Danny D's MU coaching tenure.

But unlike a real quality and knowledgeable College Head Coach like the head man at Florida Atlantic, who runs a similar offensive system, Danny obviously has his own "system" of how to manage his team's roster!  After all, at least half of his team's roster, if not more, contribute very little or NOTHING to the team's GAME PRODUCTION!  But what do I know?  Or the Head Man at FAU whose team, IIRC, made it to the FINAL FOUR last season!!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024, 07:34:51 PM »

Offline wlf

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2024, 11:47:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The most telling aspect of that game was a comment from Elmore. He was praising USA coach's ability to find D2 players who would be able to play in LOW LEVEL D1.
       These LOW LEVEL recruited transfers ate our lunch . All together it's a hard pill to swallow, considering our level of recruitment and the low level D1 aspect of the comment .

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, Herd2believe

Offline svherd

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2024, 11:56:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The most telling aspect of that game was a comment from Elmore. He was praising USA coach's ability to find D2 players who would be able to play in LOW LEVEL D1.
       These LOW LEVEL recruited transfers ate our lunch . All together it's a hard pill to swallow, considering our level of recruitment and the low level D1 aspect of the comment .

I don't follow recruiting like some on here so correct me if I am wrong; but didn't a few of our recruits/players from the last 2 classes have no D1 offers? Only D2 and below?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2024, 12:46:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I agree 100%. We have virtually no depth. Fricks just isn't very good and doesn't do much unless he gets a dunk. Really bad defender. Nutter is a hard nosed kid but just isn't much of an offensive threat at this point. Crawford is a good offensive player but has problems of reverting back to me ball and he is a really bad defender. And that is basically the only three we have off the bench. The problem with Dannys style of freedom basketball is it allows the kids to be free and explore their game which is good in a sense. But it also opens up a lot of baggage each player has also because they can't self discipline themselves. Obinna is a great example. He is playing some great ball in certain areas now. But if you add in all of his out of control problems it negates a lot of the good. You have to value every possession and every shot and that is a huge problem with Dannys teams.

Possibly the best post you have made in months. I'm sorry, I saw enough D-1,D-2,and NAIA players up close to make this statement , Neither Nutter nor Pruett belong on a D-1 roster. Your kidding yourselves if you believe they do. Great kids, no doubt in my mind but another 2 examples of Danny's ineptness at recruiting. Crawford has Kinsey type moves but cant spell defense. Its beating a dead horse, Touisant(sp) was another failed "experiment as were others. Danny was/is a high school coach period. He didnt have to recruit at Socatese or the NBA, that facet is NEVER gonna change.

Im not gonna attack you or Moneybags24 but all of us are tired of both of your childish drivel, doubt that I am right, set up a poll and you both AGREE to abide by it. Is the board better with your infighting or worse?

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, wlf, HoPPy785

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2024, 01:04:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Possibly the best post you have made in months. I'm sorry, I saw enough D-1,D-2,and NAIA players up close to make this statement , Neither Nutter nor Pruett belong on a D-1 roster. Your kidding yourselves if you believe they do. Great kids, no doubt in my mind but another 2 examples of Danny's ineptness at recruiting. Crawford has Kinsey type moves but cant spell defense. Its beating a dead horse, Touisant(sp) was another failed "experiment as were others. Danny was/is a high school coach period. He didnt have to recruit at Socatese or the NBA, that facet is NEVER gonna change.

Im not gonna attack you or Moneybags24 but all of us are tired of both of your childish drivel, doubt that I am right, set up a poll and you both AGREE to abide by it. Is the board better with your infighting or worse?

I've often wondered what a DD team would play like if he was given a blue blood's type roster. I think it would be pretty good.

I'd be interested to have a behind the scenes look at how we identify and recruit players compared to a more successful school. What exactly is the staff not doing well.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2024, 01:05:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apparently they can derail every single thread, but I make one post showing the history of Bust and it gets deleted.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83

HerdFans.com

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2024, 01:05:10 PM »