Author Topic: Herd hoops predicted as 12 seed  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Herdalum83

Re: Herd hoops predicted as 12 seed
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 06:11:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know we aren't actually a 12 seed, right?  Just that guy's opinion, who probably looked at our win/loss and conference and made his choice.  And we haven't actually won anything yet, right?  Just did well against a sub 330 schedule, so far. And the only 2 conference games we've played on the road? We lost. Got a lot of those coming up. 

The real shame is that if we are as good as many want to believe we are, that we didn't get to play some teams that would have mattered if we beat them.  We were denied that so that a coach, put on the hotseat by a neutral, freshly hired outsider AD, could make it easier to get enough wins to keep his job.  No one on this board gave Dan an ultimatum.  That was done by the people that get paid to evaluate his work and they determined he was lacking.  So you got to watch Coppin St and Glenville St fall to the Herd.   I know I could barely contain myself.

I hope we win them all and get that 12 seed.  But I'll still think about the wasted opportunity to finally beat a top team during the regular season with a team that is dominating every statistic against one of the worst schedules in college basketball.

Not true. Our two conference losses are JMU (which was at home) and Georgia Southern. Both were close losses where we didn't particularly play well for long stretches of the game and dug holes we couldn't fully dig out of. We have only played the one SBC road game so far.

This road swing will be huge. need to pick up 2 wins and get to 6-2.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 06:11:38 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 06:15:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Live or die by the three. That?s about it. If they are making the threes they can beat anyone. If they are off, goodnight.

This team relies on the 3 waaaayyyyyy less than any previous Dantoni team and has won multiple games this year where they shot the ball poorly but won with rebounding and defense.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, goherd24, herdorbust2

Offline goherd24

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 06:28:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not true. Our two conference losses are JMU (which was at home) and Georgia Southern. Both were close losses where we didn't particularly play well for long stretches of the game and dug holes we couldn't fully dig out of. We have only played the one SBC road game so far.

This road swing will be huge. need to pick up 2 wins and get to 6-2.
    our SOS is low 200's too, not what he keeps saying. And correct on the 3, i mean, we are making 7-8 game on average. We score the vast majority of our points in the paint
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:30:09 PM by goherd24 »

Offline GK4Herd

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 06:34:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall isn't even in the top 50 in three point attempts per game. If anyone believes we're a live and die by the three team, they aren't paying attention.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 06:54:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall isn't even in the top 50 in three point attempts per game. If anyone believes we're a live and die by the three team, they aren't paying attention.

They're not.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 07:39:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have a lot of posters here that would be better served to pay attention before giving their expert opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 07:56:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't take KWherd seriously. The guy is a Danny hater. He just runs his mouth and has no clue about what he says.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 08:20:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The mock brackets have had the SBC champ anywhere from 12-14. That's an improvement from last year when Georgia St was a 16th seed and played Gonzaga.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 11:00:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One bracket I saw today has us as a 13 playing in Orlando vs #4 Marquette

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 11:03:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As of now with a 4-2 record we control our destiny.  Run the table and go 14-4 and we would be a minimum 1 game ahead of anyone else that could do better than 13-5

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 11:27:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 12-seed seems out of reach. Look at the CUSA teams that won, what was it, 4 out 5 ( including ours ) first round games at one point.

If the top teams continue to lose I could see a #14 seed. Most likely a 13 though in my book. Hope it is us.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline chris88

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 09:09:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • our SOS is low 200's too, not what he keeps saying. And correct on the 3, i mean, we are making 7-8 game on average. We score the vast majority of our points in the paint

Our SOS according to Net ratings is 340 out of 373.  https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankings/nitty_gritties/29508/teams/542202/team_sheet.   The committee, imo, would go out of it's way to NOT reward bad scheduling. 15th or 16th seed I would think.  I also don't see how anyone can realistically think this team will run table or even anywhere close to that with majority of SB games on road with most being 2 game trips with only one day off.  To say we lost games because we didn't play well could be said about any team that loses any game. DD often says that home court advantage in CBB in bigger than any other sport. Weren't we favored in all three road losses? I would be pleasantly surprised if we lost less than 3 more in regular season. Whether that is good enough to win league will probably come down to how we do vs better teams on road like JMU etc. Also not sure how NIT gives bid for conferences that end in ties if team doesn't win tourney. Remember we had best NET/RPI to not make NCAAs a few years ago and it was because we had zero wins vs top 100.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 09:09:26 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 10:07:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our SOS according to Net ratings is 340 out of 373.  https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankings/nitty_gritties/29508/teams/542202/team_sheet.   The committee, imo, would go out of it's way to NOT reward bad scheduling. 15th or 16th seed I would think.  I also don't see how anyone can realistically think this team will run table or even anywhere close to that with majority of SB games on road with most being 2 game trips with only one day off.  To say we lost games because we didn't play well could be said about any team that loses any game. DD often says that home court advantage in CBB in bigger than any other sport. Weren't we favored in all three road losses? I would be pleasantly surprised if we lost less than 3 more in regular season. Whether that is good enough to win league will probably come down to how we do vs better teams on road like JMU etc. Also not sure how NIT gives bid for conferences that end in ties if team doesn't win tourney. Remember we had best NET/RPI to not make NCAAs a few years ago and it was because we had zero wins vs top 100.

It's very unlikely we win out because that is tough to do. But if we show up every game ready to play then nobody can beat us that is left on our schedule. The problem is there will be a couple games we just take for granted and lose.?tonight is one of those games that have me concerned. Usually Texas St is one of SB best teams and has already beat JMU. We can't sleep walk tonight.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 11:24:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think winning out is crazy to discuss.  The road losses that were should've/could've wins are concerning.  Hopefully with the three freshman and one newcomer those were growing pains and we progress out of that and FT and 3 PT shooting improves. 

I'm optimistic but with the road losses I've seen, and seeing our road heavy remaining schedule my optimism is tempered a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 11:24:12 AM »