Author Topic: Gazette: Notebook: Marshall secondary comes up big  (Read 146 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
Gazette: Notebook: Marshall secondary comes up big
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:00:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    By Doug Smock
    Staff writer

HUNTINGTON — Marshall’s secondary shuffle took another turn, with D.J. Wingate and J.J. Johnson manning the corners and Ashton Hall at the nickel.

Zearrick Matthews, once considered the most polished cornerback, was a healthy scratch and wasn’t even listed on the game’s participation report.

But it didn’t work out badly at all in Marshall’s 26-7 win over East Carolina. The Pirates’ two quarterbacks combined to go 16-of-29 for just 151 yards.

For once this season, coach Mark Snyder was throwing bouquets at his secondary — and at Wingate, the redshirt freshman from Daytona Beach, Fla.

“D.J.’s a big guy that can run, and I was very proud of him,” Snyder said. “I had no idea I would get that kind of performance. I don’t think any of us knew he would quite play that well.”

Wingate could have gotten exposed, as he was guarding Jamar Bryant, the Pirates’ leading receiver, much of the day.

“I lined up against one of the best receivers in our conference,” Wingate said. “I think I covered him pretty well. Tackling could be better, but covering I think I did pretty well. Long passes were thrown, he didn’t score; I think I did a pretty decent job.”

Link: http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/Marshall/200711112
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

Gazette: Notebook: Marshall secondary comes up big
    « on: November 11, 2007, 09:00:15 AM »