Author Topic: Is this a BIAS game for Mark Snyder.  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
Is this a BIAS game for Mark Snyder.
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BIAS games....Butt In A Sling game is what they call in Tennessee when Fulmer is really in trouble. He usually rises to the occasion. The theory is that he pulls out all the stops in planning going to extraordinary lengths to gameplan but also that the team feels the heat too and plays lights out.

So is this a BIAS game for Mark? Will he pull off the great plan? Will the kids play beyond their skill level? Will the Herd bring home a victory.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

HerdFans.com

Is this a BIAS game for Mark Snyder.
    « on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »

Offline goherd17

Re: Is this a BIAS game for Mark Snyder.
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys act like Mark wants to loose!  I think he does his best everygame

Offline Massherdfan

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Photo, I'll let you know Sat. night, but I highly doubt it.
    I'm officially a Snyder Sunshinepumper!
    (3-9 & 12-23)

Offline Massherdfan

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys act like Mark wants to loose!  I think he does his best everygame

If that's his best I'd hate to see his worst effort. Jeez. MU can and should do better... We as fans deserve better!
    (3-9 & 12-23)

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is this "gameplan" you speak of?
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys act like Mark wants to loose!  I think he does his best every game.

Not at all... No one, in any field, is at their best all the time. Everyone has peaks and valleys in their profession. Some people need a deadline, some people need a financial carrot, and some people need pressure to do their best. My question is if this is one of those situations?

I'm sure Mark puts forth a HUGE amount of effort every game. He wore the Kelly and White as a player that says a lot to me. This is a big deal job for him. But I'm not sure we get his best because I think he has some systemic and philosophical issues that aren't productive at this school, at this time, with these players. The question is does he break from his tendencies in a way that will result in victory?

Hey, I have nothing but respect for Mark. I want him to succeed. I love the talent he's brought in. He wears a green shirt, I'm on his side. But I think he may need to do some things differently to be successful.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am all for Mark Snyder. The UCF game was one I had a tough time spinning though...that is not a good enough team to blow us out like they did...and like ECU and SM did last year. But ECU is at home...we have, with the exception of two halves, played pretty well at home, so I'll be there, I'll be loud and I'll be pro-herd.

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am all for Mark Snyder. The UCF game was one I had a tough time spinning though...t

Amen to that. I thought in the previous three games I saw some systemic changes and improvement in areas. UCf was disappointing to say the least. Plus, I just don't like them.

...Jack Lengyel

Offline go1970herd

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •     So is this a BIAS game for Mark? Will he pull off the great plan? Will the kids play beyond their skill level? Will the Herd bring home a victory.

I believe you are right on this one, I think he does pull out all the stops for this game, either we win or it will be a very good game.

The only game that to me Snyder has even come close to looking prepared for was the wvwho game and with a little more depth and one less stupid call near the end of the game we would have won that game!!!!!!!!!
    Go Herd and Feel the Thunder

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope we win and I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I don't think he will plan anything different than any other game. As for the kids, I think they may step it up a notch for him.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This game will be at home in front of our dissapointed fans. Lost enough at home during Snyders stay.  This one is a guarantee. In spite of Snyders inability WE WILL WIN THIS ONE
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:17:39 PM by ThunderValley »

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Snyders BIAS games came and gone a long time ago. Games three, four and five come to mind. Those games should have put a HUGE red flag up for this guy.

With his record and showing blatant signs of regression, perhaps every game this year could actually be called a BIAS game for him.

Unfortunately, I believe the only sling around here will be held by the majority of fans and not by those who make the decisions.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »

Offline firstate

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • if we win,..then,,,, snyder did a good job coaching, period!

Offline Thunders

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 05:56:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even if we win, you have to put together more than one victory against decent competition to be considered a good team and coach. He has not done that yet. Now if he wins out the rest of the season I would be impressed.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline marshallisqbu

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At 1-8 and three consecutive losing seasons, every game is a BIAS game. 

Offline Thundering Lydia

• All American
    • GKI Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • if we win,..then,,,, snyder did a good job coaching, period!

So, you are saying that the all of the losses are because of bad coaching, right?

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 08:05:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even if we win, you have to put together more than one victory against decent competition to be considered a good team and coach. He has not done that yet. Now if he wins out the rest of the season I would be impressed.

I like Mark Snyder as a Son of Marshall, I just don't like him as a head coach. I would like to see us win out as well. However, I don't think a 3 game winning streak at the end of a lost season is impressive. I'd be happy for it and welcome it but after 3 years of mediocrity it would not change my outlook on Coach Snyder.

Offline mu1995

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 08:25:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am just having a hard time identifying anything which would give me hope that Coach Snyder will ever produce anything better than possibly a 7 win year sometime down the road, and unfortunately even this feels like a big "if" now. 
    I don't like to lose, and that isn't so much because it is just a football game, but because defeat means the failure to reach your objective. I don't want a football player who doesn't take defeat to heart, who laughs it off with the thought, 'Oh, well, there's another Saturday.' The trouble in American life today, in business as well as in sports, is that too many people are afraid of competition. The result is that in some circles people have come to sneer at success if it costs hard work and training and sacrifice.- Knute Rockne

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, you are saying that the all of the losses are because of bad coaching, right?

lol...nice.

Offline Thunderdog

• Practice Squad
    • There's no need to fear......
    « Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a BIAS game, but certainly a BIAS season!  :(
    A recent government study aimed at determining why one side of the flying V formation geese employ is longer than the other concluded that the longer side had more geese!

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think if we were 3-6 or 4-5 then yes this would be a BIAS game where you pull out all the stops.

The problem with that is that, considering where Snyder has coached in the past and the narrow scope of football philosophy he has, I dont think he knows how to take risks and go balls out or put together a high powered scoring offense or a spread. 

He might want to try something different, but even if he did, Im not sure he knows how to do anything different than what he is doing.  OSU and Minnisota probably never had to do that.  And we know that at the 1AA level that a powerhouse like YSU with the best of the best recruits that he never saw his head coach have to play a game that they had to drop there game plan and just go balls and come out swinging and taking risks.

Thats why I think although his but has been in a sling for a while now that he hasnt and wont be able to change a thing.

I could see Tressel at an opening season game against a MAC team that runs a spread.  Before the game he probably told his team that the MAC opponent was going to come in with cheap gimicks and spreads and trick plays and try to shake things up and tell them that if they stick with there fundamentals that they will overpower the MAC team the old fashioned way with hardnose football and better talent.  ANd these are the type of philisophical speaches that Snyder absorbed into his head over the years.

That seems to be what Snyder wants to teach his team to do.  But, I just dont know how any coach (including Pruett) could pull that off at Marshall.  If SNyder is drawing primarily from his past experiences at OSU and YSU and probably Minn. then I dont think he can be successful here. 
    « Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:26:00 AM by field pass »

Offline Massherdfan

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think if we were 3-6 or 4-5 then yes this would be a BIAS game where you pull out all the stops.

The problem with that is that, considering where Snyder has coached in the past and the narrow scope of football philosophy he has, I dont think he knows how to take risks and go balls out or put together a high powered scoring offense or a spread. 

He might want to try something different, but even if he did, Im not sure he knows how to do anything different than what he is doing.  OSU and Minnisota probably never had to do that.  And we know that at the 1AA level that a powerhouse like YSU with the best of the best recruits that he never saw his head coach have to play a game that they had to drop there game plan and just go balls and come out swinging and taking risks.

Thats why I think although his but has been in a sling for a while now that he hasnt and wont be able to change a thing.

I could see Tressel at an opening season game against a MAC team that runs a spread.  Before the game he probably told his team that the MAC opponent was going to come in with cheap gimicks and spreads and trick plays and try to shake things up and tell them that if they stick with there fundamentals that they will overpower the MAC team the old fashioned way with hardnose football and better talent.  ANd these are the type of philisophical speaches that Snyder absorbed into his head over the years.

That seems to be what Snyder wants to teach his team to do.  But, I just dont know how any coach (including Pruett) could pull that off at Marshall.  If SNyder is drawing primarily from his past experiences at OSU and YSU and probably Minn. then I dont think he can be successful here. 

You've just made some very compelling points.
    (3-9 & 12-23)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

Offline MU Mike

• All American
    • Member Since 07/2010
    « Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

One problem with this thinking.  Youngstown has a losing record against those MAC schools.  Tressel was never able to do what you claim. 

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snder returns next year no matter what...he is already at BIAS status but he returns to coach the kids he brought. He's brought in some good talent.
    If he doesnt go bowling next year....
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »