Author Topic: Sun Belt expansion expected this summer?  (Read 987 times)

Offline W0lfman

HerdFans.com

Sun Belt expansion expected this summer?
« on: December 06, 2021, 10:09:02 PM »

Offline herd2win

Re: Sun Belt expansion expected this summer?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 10:33:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is gaining traction.  I am ready to make the move.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline goherd24

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 12:29:09 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • It just makes sense. Sick of these cusa turds

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gonna be a really weird schedule if we do.

Does App State get replaced by an FCS giving us 2 of those games? Can we replace them with JMU? Do we play App twice with only one counting toward conference standings?

On top of that, a 13 team conference with unbalanced divisions presents its own challenges. In 1999, when the MAC added Buffalo to create that situation, we didn't play Akron even though they were in our division.

Offline forphase1

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:52:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Does App State get replaced by an FCS giving us 2 of those games? Can we replace them with JMU? Do we play App twice with only one counting toward conference standings?

On top of that, a 13 team conference with unbalanced divisions presents its own challenges. In 1999, when the MAC added Buffalo to create that situation, we didn't play Akron even though they were in our division.

Yeah, it may be a bit complicated and a strange setup for a year.  But I'll certainly take that over playing another season in CDOA.

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

i would think it may all be contingent on JMU getting out of their conference after this season.  i think their conference is trying to declare them ineligible for next season's championships.  if they can get out & therefore become an independent, then the conference part of their schedule next year opens up to play an SBC east division schedule, without actually being part of SBC yet.  so, i'd think east division would only officially have 6 teams, with all 6 teams playing JMU as an OOC game in place of the 6th division game.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 10:03:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, it may be a bit complicated and a strange setup for a year.  But I'll certainly take that over playing another season in CDOA.

To be clear, I also hope we move early. Just wondering about the logistics.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fingers crossed that we can make this move for next year.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 10:17:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I had heard a while back that it was likely we would replace the "out of conference" App State game with JMU to help their transition. Then we would simply play App as a conference game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: chris88, The E-Man, HoPPy785

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the plan all along was to try and expedite the move. The SB isn't losing anybody so there is no waiting for those leaving to be gone. Let the Big12, AAC, CUSA deal with the scheduling hazards should their process not be ready. JMU FB only holdup due to rules of transition but, as stated, the SB members will do everything possible to fill JMU schedule for next couple of years. Rest of their sports should be good to go as far as I know.

I think leaving early will mean MU will owe CUSA exit fees vs just lost revenue, but it is what it is and assume it's about same amount in end.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, The E-Man

Offline whf

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What's the rush???    Just kidding, we know our destination, I'm always anxious to get where I'm going.  But we may need to learn to enjoy the trip through C-USA one more time in football and twice more in basketball; and other sports.  If not, i won't be sorry.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 10:05:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But we may need to learn to enjoy the trip through C-USA one more time in football

Enjoy is not the word I would use.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 10:05:46 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 10:49:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a side note, JMU beat UVA in basketball tonight.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, GreenDaddy, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 10:17:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a side note, JMU beat UVA in basketball tonight.

That's a HUGE win!
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• That's a HUGE win!

i notice they have 4 regulars shooting over 50% from the floor.  that would be nice.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

• i notice they have 4 regulars shooting over 50% from the floor.  that would be nice.

Tousaint 86%
    McKey 67%
    OAK 54%
    George 54%
    Byers 49%
    Kinsey 47%
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »