Author Topic: Landon today...  (Read 987 times)

Offline elginherd

Landon today...
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:37:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/chuck-landon-college-basketball-should-drop-dubious-rule/article_a0545335-64ec-5738-82c3-171e9af05084.html

I realize that I'm operating above my pay grade posting this, but good-ole Chucky boy is way off base with the 1st part of today's column.

The "one-n-done" rule is NOT a NCAA rule; it is a minimum age rule instituted by the NBA to protect teams from themselves after so many players drafted right after HS were busts either from skill or maturity reasons. Secondarily, there were a lot of HS'ers who were convinced they were good enough, declared for the draft and never even got try-outs. And, because of NCAA rules, those guys were not eligible to play college ball.

Really, the way it stands IS the fault of the NCAA. The NCAA should adopt rules for basketball that are similar to what they are in baseball, as Chucky says. The G-League (was "D") is now up to 26 teams with most of the NBA teams owning a G-League squad. So the dynamics of drafting could more resemble baseball's where players would weigh the signing bonus vs. playing ball on scholarship.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

Landon today...
    « on: October 24, 2017, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline NerdHaitian

Re: Landon today...
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just wish I knew who the fffff thinks this is a good photo:

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Apollo

Offline elginherd

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will give Chuck & the HD's sports section some credit of a sense of humor:

They have a last place prize for their football pick-'em contest...$100 cash + a frame able autographing portrait of our very own Chuck Landon. 

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • See, you guys give him grief for stealing topics and talking points from this board, but when he goes off and tries to form an original thought, you call him out for obviously having no clue what he’s talking about!

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree that Chuck messed up on it being an NCAA regulation, but I like his underlying thought about eliminating one and dones.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline elginherd

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Commissioner Silver is not crazy about the current set up either. The NBA is in the process of developing an infrastructure (an one level minor league system) so that teams can draft for potential for players right out of high school.

The NCAA needs to change its rules so that these guys have real choices. And the NBA teams would offer signing bonuses to compete with college scholarships & the player would be ineligible to be redrafted after his junior year or the age of, say, 21.

Offline MUther

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It's a great picture of a lizard..oh, wait..

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You don't really have a lot to work with there.

Offline MarshallManiac

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That's actually a decent shot of Chuck.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »