Author Topic: Vintage Sailor Hat logos  (Read 759 times)

Offline ThunderDent

Vintage Sailor Hat logos
« on: August 02, 2022, 04:09:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Saw this over on CSN. Why was this such a trend? And why do so many Herd fans want to old snorting Marco logo back? I was in college with that logo (and the pork chop one), and even I don?t want it back. Clean logos and staying on brand is important. We used to switch too much, and have found our home with the Kelly green, M with the OUR own script The Herd through it, and our own contoured M.

I do like throwback and vintage as well. But if I had to pick vintage, it?s the old script M from the 70s, and the jumping Buffalo over the MU of the Young TH.

HerdFans.com

Vintage Sailor Hat logos
    « on: August 02, 2022, 04:09:11 PM »

Offline pdunn

Re: Vintage Sailor Hat logos
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 04:23:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd rather have Snorting Marco than that stuffed bison head that looks like it took a whole bottle of Valium that we have now.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herd_67, Herdalum83, herdorbust2

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The pork chop was the worst

Godawful

The following users thanked this post: bbcard1, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, kpimichael

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 04:42:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Saw this over on CSN. Why was this such a trend? And why do so many Herd fans want to old snorting Marco logo back? I was in college with that logo (and the pork chop one), and even I don?t want it back. Clean logos and staying on brand is important. We used to switch too much, and have found our home with the Kelly green, M with the OUR own script The Herd through it, and our own contoured M.

I do like throwback and vintage as well. But if I had to pick vintage, it?s the old script M from the 70s, and the jumping Buffalo over the MU of the Young TH.

The snorting Marco is 10 times better than that goat logo we have now. I refuse to buy anything with the goat on it. It?s embarrassing imo. We should at least get a better looking buffalo head as our logo. Something a little wider and meaner looking than a goat.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 05:08:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the Sailor Marco logo but I think it has a lot more to do with the expression of the buffalo than the sailor hat. Wouldn't mind seeing some mashup of the old logo with the new M and font.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUsince96, HoPPy785, herdorbust2

Offline pdunn

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 07:00:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Godawful

With the lower case "u."
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 07:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the Sailor Marco logo but I think it has a lot more to do with the expression of the buffalo than the sailor hat. Wouldn't mind seeing some mashup of the old logo with the new M and font.

Agreed. Snorting Marco has a personality that says I'm ready to whip some a**. Current Marco says I'm irritated you hung me over the fire place.

The following users thanked this post: gochneaur645, herdorbust2

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 07:54:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Nah, man. That's a dog or somethun." - Firin' Byron
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline coalherd

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 09:11:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Godawful

Wonder what the Dude who designed that sucker was smokin??  ;)

Offline ThunderDent

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 09:18:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t like any of the new Marco logos.

Only the M with the script.

The mascot redo was horrid.

We?ve since changed it back to the old one. Has been that way for many years now.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t like any of the new Marco logos.

Only the M with the script.

The mascot redo was horrid.

We?ve since changed it back to the old one. Has been that way for many years now.

Now if we could just find another Allen Young!!

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline pdunn

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 10:58:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There will never be another Allen Young.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 10:58:51 PM »

Online svherd

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 08:23:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There will never be another Allen Young.

That  dude was worth the price of admission alone. We do need someone like him for sure.

Anyone remember his routine before we played Furman at home one year, hilarious.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder what the Dude who designed that sucker was smokin??  ;)

That "dude" was the then-President (Nitzschke), who designed it himself. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Big City

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 09:31:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Say what?

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That "dude" was the then-President (Nitzschke), who designed it himself.

I thought it was Dan Angle who dropped the Snorting Marco and or maybe he changed the school color from kelly green to hunter green?  I had a relative on the Alumni Board who was involved in changing the Marco custom. She may have been involved in the dropping of the Snorting Marco? I remember that people were concerned that Marco costume or the logo was scaring children. Unfortunately the relative has passed so I can't verify any details. I would like to return to the old Snorting Marco logo, it is a classic old school design.

By the way.  I always liked the old Marshall College seal better than the University seal.  ;D
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:47:02 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 10:33:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Updating the logo is one thing, but changing to hunter green and changing to manbearpig Marco were unforgivable decisions.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, MUonium

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought it was Dan Angle who dropped the Snorting Marco and or maybe he changed the school color from kelly green to hunter green?  I had a relative on the Alumni Board who was involved in changing the Marco custom. She may have been involved in the dropping of the Snorting Marco? I remember that people were concerned that Marco costume or the logo was scarring children. Unfortunately the relative has passed so I can't verify any details. I would like to return to the old Snorting Marco logo, it is a classic old school design.

By the way.  I always liked the old Marshall College seal better than the University seal.  ;D

Not sure when the hunter green started. I think 2000-ish?

Dropping the snorting Marco for the current brown head Marco logo was around 2000 as well, I believe.

The new (now old) mascot costume everyone hated was unveiled against UCF in 2008.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure when the hunter green started. I think 2000-ish?

Dropping the snorting Marco for the current brown head Marco logo was around 2000 as well, I believe.

The new (now old) mascot costume everyone hated was unveiled against UCF in 2008.

I believe you are correct that Angel approved the color change, but the porkchop logo with the ridiculous lower case "u" was straight from Dale. 

- E-Man

Offline Big City

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 12:24:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe you are correct that Angel approved the color change, but the porkchop logo with the ridiculous lower case "u" was straight from Dale.

the dank, dark green was part of the Snyder years and early Holiday.

Someone please share the "porkchop" logo.
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 12:59:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the dank, dark green was part of the Snyder years and early Holiday.

Someone please share the "porkchop" logo.

- E-Man

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 85-89 is my favorite. The M needs to be a little beefier but it works

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2022, 01:10:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• This one was definitely used at some point. I think concurrently with the pork chop logo.  The popular Starter jackets in the 90s had it for sure.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2022, 03:55:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This one was definitely used at some point. I think concurrently with the pork chop logo.  The popular Starter jackets in the 90s had it for sure.

I still have a starter jacket with this snorting Marco on it. I like it better than any of the current logos. I also like the M from 1990 through the early 2000's better than the knee that is currently used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Big City

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh yes... thanks for posting. I remember that. I guess I attempted to block it from memory.
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »