Author Topic: Why Is It So Important To Have A Marshall Connection To Be A Marshall Coach  (Read 288 times)

Offline mu79grad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Christian Spears just said in the introductory press conference for Corny Jackson that one of the four basics in hiring a coach at Marshall that they have a Marshall connection.  I hope Coach Jackson does great things.  I will support him because he is now our coach.  However, why is it so important that a coach have a Marshall connection?  I love my alma mater with all my heart but there may be coaches out there that have only barely heard of Marshall that can do great things for the university I love.  Why place limits on hiring?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan, MUonium

HerdFans.com

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Christian Spears just said in the introductory press conference for Corny Jackson that one of the four basics in hiring a coach at Marshall that they have a Marshall connection.  I hope Coach Jackson does great things.  I will support him because he is now our coach.  However, why is it so important that a coach have a Marshall connection?  I love my alma mater with all my heart but there may be coaches out there that have only barely heard of Marshall that can do great things for the university I love.  Why place limits on hiring?

I wouldn't read too much into that.  Its a nice box to check, but Huff, Grassie, Caldwell, Roberts and a bunch more don't have any Marshall connection and it didn't keep them from being hired by Christian or his predecessor.  Heck, Christian doesn't have that connection.

"Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ru4mu2, MUonium, overherd1

Offline overherd1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it does check a box.  Maybe a box that is not all that important.  I like Jackson.  I certainly hope he can get the job done.  He has been around the game a long time and has a passion for Marshall.  Hope he has a long successful run here.  Many challenges for him.  Hope he can get the players he needs!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, luckytoes99, MUonium

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You must of been reading my mind. LOL I was thinking the same thing. And how about wins and losses aren't important? Oh well, it is what it is. . . Time will tell.

Go Herd!
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:12:48 PM by Buffalo Bop »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Always THE HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The connection is NOT important. It's good when the "right fit" is coaching the team.

Offline elginherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The "Marshall connection" is important in the candidates being willing to accept a budget-friendly contract.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline CoachMaclid

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't read too much into that.  Its a nice box to check, but Huff, Grassie, Caldwell, Roberts and a bunch more don't have any Marshall connection and it didn't keep them from being hired by Christian or his predecessor.  Heck, Christian doesn't have that connection.

Slight correction, but I would put Grassie in the category of having Marshall connections when he was hired as head coach.  He was a grad assistant here for his first coaching opportunity right out of college and earned a Masters degree from Marshall before he got the assistant job at Michigan.  I think having a degree from here counts as a connection.

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Slight correction, but I would put Grassie in the category of having Marshall connections when he was hired as head coach.  He was a grad assistant here for his first coaching opportunity right out of college and earned a Masters degree from Marshall before he got the assistant job at Michigan.  I think having a degree from here counts as a connection.

Fair.  I actually hired Chris to be a keeper coach for my daughter's U--18 team back in 2005 or so. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

HerdFans.com