Author Topic: Perfect Storm - And We Missed It  (Read 1596 times)

Offline FilmJunky

Re: Perfect Storm - And We Missed It
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 08:22:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins would have brought national attention to Marshall as we would be the only school to hire him lol. Also, the odds that Huggins would even come here are about 0%

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 08:22:01 AM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 08:28:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't get the infatuation with Bob Huggins. I get that at one time the guy had it going on. But it was apparent the last five years that he had really regressed as a coach.

In his last five seasons at WVU, he won 39% of his conference games. Some could say the Big 12 was the best. Okay? But it was also clear that a lot of those programs were passing WVU while going up the ladder. Many of his best recruits over his last five seasons couldn't get eligible. I didn't see where his recruiting was that good in his last five seasons. He lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament last year to a terrible Maryland team.....a team that limped in the tourney with many a loss. When they threw a 2-3 zone on WVU, he made zero adjustments in game.

His appearance really went down. He sounded horrible and miserable during interviews. He had little to no enthusiasm. His teams often played like it too. He too was quick to throw players under the bus in post-game interviews. He looked horrible to me, incredibly overweight, poor dress, 3 days of facial growth for games, etc.

The man has or had a problem. He blew a 0.21% and couldn't say what city he was in. That isn't a "social drinker". That is a man that is pounding the alcohol. On that phone clip with Billy Cunningham, he sounded liquored. He had two incidents as a head coach with driving and alcohol. That is continual poor judgement when you get that intoxicated and get behind the wheel. It is dangerous, it is careless and it is unacceptable.

I don't get what people see in a 71-year old Huggins. I know at one time that I felt he was near the top of college basketball coaches. But not lately. His lifestyle over the many years had clearly taken a toll on him as he got older. I am not looking for a head coach looking for a rehab coaching job to somehow salvage his career.
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:30:49 AM by jdonaccbus »

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, svherd, horsrman, andy31, elginherd, puma, FilmJunky

Offline elginherd

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2024, 08:33:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't get the infatuation with Bob Huggins. I get that at one time the guy had it going on. But it was apparent the last five years that he had really regressed as a coach.

In his last five seasons at WVU, he won 39% of his conference games. Some could say the Big 12 was the best. Okay? But it was also clear that a lot of those programs were passing WVU while going up the ladder. Many of his best recruits over his last five seasons couldn't get eligible. I didn't see where his recruiting was that good in his last five seasons. He lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament last year to a terrible Maryland team.....a team that limped in the tourney with many a loss. When they threw a 2-3 zone on WVU, he made zero adjustments in game.

His appearance really went down. He sounded horrible and miserable during interviews. He had little to no enthusiasm. His teams often played like it too. He too was quick to throw players under the bus in post-game interviews. He looked horrible to me, incredibly overweight, poor dress, 3 days of facial growth for games, etc.

The man has or had a problem. He blew a 0.21% and couldn't say what city he was in. That isn't a "social drinker". That is a man that is pounding the alcohol. On that phone clip with Billy Cunningham, he sounded liquored. He had two incidents as a head coach with driving and alcohol. That is continual poor judgement when you get that intoxicated and get behind the wheel. It is dangerous, it is careless and it is unacceptable.

I don't get what people see in a 71-year old Huggins. I know at one time that I felt he was near the top of college basketball coaches. But not lately. His lifestyle over the many years had clearly taken a toll on him as he got older. I am not looking for a head coach looking for a rehab coaching job to somehow salvage his career.

Exactly.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2024, 08:38:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Totally agree. And like I had posted earlier, Huggins didn't like the portal, NIL, etc. He was an "old school" coach, like Dantoni, who didn't want to pivot and change with the game.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2024, 08:42:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins needed a C-PAP machine when he was awake...he sounds like he's snoring as he speaks.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Echo 5, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 11:36:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way would I have supported hiring that SOB. Thank God it wasn't even considered by S&S(spears and smith)
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 12:18:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If MU had considered Huggins, it would be hilarious to watch the meltdown on this board.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 12:43:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never cared for Huggins and he did NOT have much success in the Big12.

You need to check the link below. In 11 seasons in  the B12 Huggins took wvu to six appearances in The Big Dance (three were Sweet 16); one NIT and one CBI and one season was covid and no post season was held. Only two of his seasons that he didn't make the post season when wvu was a B12 member. I think that is success in anybody's book.

Huggins could coach and he had overall winning records at his five different college coaching jobs. He is sixth in all time college wins with 635 victories and has a .693 winning percentage.  He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2022. He certainly schooled Dan in their NCAA game. His record speaks for itself.

I wouldn't be interested in hiring Huggins at Marshall. We don't need another 70 year old coach, plus he has too much baggage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Huggins
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:46:45 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2024, 08:09:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Washed up WVU grad is what Marshall needs!  I can see the news write up now.  Delusional Marshall fan becomes new Marshall AD.  In a great first move from the delusional fan / new AD hires local drunk Bob Huggins to be Marshall's new head basketball coach!  That would make a really funny article in the local news paper.  Chuggins...   Lol
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:33:09 PM by saherdfan »

Online bighat

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2024, 09:00:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach Huggins is a drunk and a disgrace.  Winning at any cost is not acceptable to most of us (Marshall fans).

The following users thanked this post: gtrman4herd, parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdtown

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #35 on: March 28, 2024, 11:58:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • too old and too drunk....move on.
    All Herd... All the Time

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2024, 12:41:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can he coach our Quarter Bounce team?
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2024, 12:41:04 PM »

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2024, 03:16:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can he coach our Quarter Bounce team?

no.  There isn't enouht room in Huntington for his fat a$$.

Online Bigoherd

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2024, 10:10:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• no.  There isn't enouht room in Huntington for his fat a$$.
    [/quote]

Try to keep up:
    https://brobible.com/sports/article/bob-huggins-weight-loss-health-west-virginia-basketball/

HerdFans.com

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2024, 10:10:13 PM »