Author Topic: Perfect Storm - And We Missed It  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Bigoherd

Perfect Storm - And We Missed It
« on: March 26, 2024, 12:51:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The basketball situation was the definition of the perfect storm.  We had an obvious need for a coaching change.  Our program had slipped into complete mediocrity.  On the other hand, you had a coach who is currently 3rd in all time collegiate wins stating he wanted to return to coaching but wanted to stay in the state of WV.  (How is that for sending up a flair to MU brass?). 

Huggins would have brought Marshall immediate national attention and most importantly, he has the contacts to work the portal to bring in legitimate D1 talent.  Oh, I know people will play the ?character issues? and ?not another WVU? cards, but the bottom line is coaches are brought into win game.  Huggins has more than proven his ability to do that.  And put him in the Sunbelt?  He would dominate. 

Hey, I hope Corny Jackson works miracles and turns the program back in the right direction.  But just laying it all out there, (and be truthful with yourself), would you rather have a proven hall of fame winning coach (granted with some baggage/ties to hated WVU), or an assistant under the coach you just fired who has never been the head guy before?

It was the perfect storm and we stayed safe in the bunker!
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:20:51 PM by Bigoherd »

The following users thanked this post: wesnky, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Perfect Storm - And We Missed It
    « on: March 26, 2024, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

Re: Perfect Storm - And We Missed It
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 12:55:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After some of the things Huggins said about Marshall and Huntington, I would not want him here. We have another coach on the hot seat who has said some things about Huntington that were not good.

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd, Always THE HERD, herdly4, D1

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 01:17:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People keep saying Huggins said all these bad things about Huntington and Marshall.  Can you provide me with the exact (documented) quotes, because I don?t want to be left in the dark if those comments were so egregious and hurtful to our tender psyche. 

Online herd2win

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 01:21:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins is exactly what we needed...

Online MUonium

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 01:38:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • similar to my thinking that charles manson should come back from the dead and become the next POTUS although he'd probably turn that down too

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 02:06:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins is washed. And even if he wasn't I wouldn't want him within 1000 miles of our basketball program. There are plenty of young, hungry, good coaches out there that we don't need to bring another geriatric in. Especially not a drunk geriatric

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, MUfan08, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, horsrman

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 02:28:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just stop. I would actively cheer against Marshall as long as he was our coach. And I'm sure thousands of others feel the same way.

Also, Huggins wouldn't be available because apparently he has a new job as Singaporean shipping container captain.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 02:35:49 PM by gochneaur645 »

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 03:02:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Hey, I hope Corny Jackson works miracles and turns the program back in the right direction.  But just laying it all out there, (and be truthful with yourself), would you rather have a proven hall of fame winning coach (granted with some baggage/ties to hated WVU), or an assistant under the coach you just fired who has never been the head guy before?

It was the perfect storm and we stayed safe in the bunker!
    IMO, we were in the right direction, we just were not winning like I felt we should have and also I felt the schedule was pretty weak. Time will tell about CJ.

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 03:50:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also, Huggins wouldn't be available because apparently he has a new job as Singaporean shipping container captain.
    [/quote]

How about you ?Just stop? the insensitive remarks about a horrific accident where people?s lives were lost.  Your attempt at humor is pathetic.

I think Marshall (with or without Huggins) would do just fine without your support.

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 04:42:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like Dantoni, I don't think Huggins was a fan of the portal. 

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline HerdFanJ

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 05:10:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can agree/disagree with coaching hires and have never pulled support.  But, I for one, would be done with Marshall if they hired tHuggins. 

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, BraveSaintStuart

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 05:20:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree. I don't think we're mediocre.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 05:20:29 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 06:11:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This thread makes me laugh.  If Huggins came in and took us to the sweet sixteen every one of you would kiss his a$$.  And he'd about have to do just that because we'd all be watching everything he did with a microscope.  I don't think he'd come here and I don't want him to, but I won't pretend I'd never have anything to do with Marshall if he did. 

Remember, those comments he made were in reply to Dan egging him on about playing us.  Dan got his wish and folded like a cheap suit in the NCAAs.  He was out of his league.  Huggy would be "our" guy this time around and would be telling MoHole to shove it.  Huggins has more college basketball knowledge in the pinky he holds his shotglass with than Dan has in his whole existence.

If they'd announced he was hired right after they fired Dan, we'd be having a lot different conversations right now but none of them would be about whether he had experience as a head coach or knew how to evaluate talent and recruit.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Online elginherd

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 06:50:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know the answer to this, though I have a guess:

If Huggins name came up while Smith, Spears and the assorted associate pooh-bahs were spit-balling, how would President Smith feel about having Huggins as one of the major faces of the university?

Despite what Vince Lombardi said, winning isn't everything. 
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, horsrman

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 06:56:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed. We should have hired him. He would dominate this conference and put our program in position to do things we can only dream of.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just stop. I would actively cheer against Marshall as long as he was our coach. And I'm sure thousands of others feel the same way.

Also, Huggins wouldn't be available because apparently he has a new job as Singaporean shipping container captain.

Very poor taste and ignorant. People died.
    The Captain was an American trained in such port maneuvers.
    Dumb

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 07:55:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very poor taste and ignorant. People died.
    The Captain was an American trained in such port maneuvers.
    Dumb

And the ship had lost it's engines.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 08:48:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins is a great bb coach.  He wins and players go hard for him.  Loves physical teams. 

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 08:50:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins is a great bb coach.  He wins and players go hard for him.  Loves physical teams.
    Never cared for Huggins and he did NOT have much success in the Big12.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 08:57:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I liked him way before wvu.  He won 65% of his 500 games coached at wvu.  11 NCAA appearances and 1 Final Four

Offline MUther

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 09:00:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never cared for Huggins and he did NOT have much success in the Big12.

He won one more game than we did in 2018.  He had plenty of success.  He had some really good teams.  He also played against Texas, Kansas, Ok St, Oklahoma, Iowa St and on and on.  In other words, he had the chops to destroy the Sun Belt.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Offline herdman22

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2024, 09:13:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've never been a huge fan going back to Cincinnati, but he seems to be doing good health wise which is good.  I'm not sure he will coach again and think it will might be best for him to retire, keep getting better, and take a well earned rest. I'm sure he would like to end his career in a better way than he did, but that's on him. I don't think he would come here and don't think we could afford him 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2024, 09:13:25 PM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2024, 10:39:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it'll be interesting to see if another power conference program takes a chance on BH.  i know the B12 is pretty tough, but he didn't fare very well.  while at wvu, i believe he finished 99-102 B12, & he was something like 19 games BELOW .500 his last 5 yrs.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 12:37:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it'll be interesting to see if another power conference program takes a chance on BH.  i know the B12 is pretty tough, but he didn't fare very well.  while at wvu, i believe he finished 99-102 B12, & he was something like 19 games BELOW .500 his last 5 yrs.
    Many are "hung up" on him, BUT as you said he did NOT do well in the Big12.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 07:40:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins is 70 years old.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 07:40:48 AM »