Author Topic: Changes I'd Like To See Corny Make  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

Changes I'd Like To See Corny Make
« on: March 26, 2024, 10:37:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Below is a list of changes I'd like to see Corny make now that he is head coach.  If he doesn't make them, it doesn't mean I won't support him, etc. 

1. Don't give Pruett a scholarship.  Pruett is probably a fine young man, but he is not a D1 player and Corny needs that scholarship to help rebuild the team.
    2. Help Braun find a new school to play for.  Again, we need the scholarship. 
    3. Change the training program to have players bulk up in the weight room. 
    4. Reevaluate the two high school players that signed LOI.  I know Corny was probably involved in their recruitment, but ultimately they are DD's recruits and Corny needs to determine if they fit what he wants to do.  If they don't, he needs to cut them loose. 
    5. Recruit two PG's to run the offense. 
    6. Recruit two wings who can hit the three.
    7. Hire an experienced assistant coach.  If the rumors of Cline being removed as an assistant are true and Taylor is replacing Corny as an assistant, then this will be a young staff.  They could use an experienced assistant to help them out. 
    8. Play other types of defense, instead of relying solely on the switching defense.
    9. Keep DD's offense, but tweak it to where someone like OAK plays more around the basket. 
    10. Shot selection.  There is such a thing as a bad shot.  Do not give your players the green light to shoot the ball anytime, anywhere on the floor. 
    11. Emphasize defense and rebounding. 
    12. Call timeouts when the opposing team is making a run, or when you need to calm down your team.   

Please feel free to add anything I may have missed.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:11:54 PM by Rockin Herd Fan »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain, wlf, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

Changes I'd Like To See Corny Make
    « on: March 26, 2024, 10:37:07 AM »

Offline FilmJunky

Re: Changes I'd Like To See Corny Make
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 10:46:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It does not matter what changes CJ makes. The fan base has unrealistic expectations for Herd basketball. Or the ones on this forum do. All they want is a D2 head coach and D2 transfers. Elite D2 transfers do not come to Marshall....

The following users thanked this post: BraveSaintStuart

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 10:48:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those are all great.

We're going to know very quickly if CJ was hamstrung recruiting because DD didn't want a certain type of kid on his team. We're going to need a lot of new faces on next years team and with 1,000+ kids in the portal, there are plenty of kids out there that need a home. Last years team was void of talent, I'd say the least talented team of DD's entire tenure.

We shall see if CJ is up to the task very quickly IMO. L

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, ed swain, Rockin Herd Fan, overherd1

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 12:52:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The list was spot on. One thing I would like to add. Improve free throws. We have to do better at the line. I know under D'Antoni, we didn't drive to the basket a whole lot to draw fouls. I'm hoping coach Jackson will change that. If so, free throw shooting will be very important.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 01:41:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Use all of the allotted practice time.  Teach and drill shooting. Put tall people in the paint and shorter folk in the backcourt.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: Rockin Herd Fan

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 01:47:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, HerdEcon, ed swain

Offline Herd72

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 01:49:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Add do all he can to keep Martin - kid plays hard and every team needs a blue collar guy like that inside.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, Rockin Herd Fan

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 01:59:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Below is a list of changes I'd like to see Corny make now that he is head coach.  If he doesn't make them, it doesn't mean I won't support him, etc. 

1. Don't give Pruett a scholarship.  Pruett is probably a fine young man, but he is not a D1 player and Corny needs that scholarship to help rebuild the team.
    4. Reevaluate the two high school players that signed LOI.  I know Corny was probably involved in their recruitment, but ultimately they are DD's recruits and Corny needs to determine if they fit what he wants to do.  If they don't, he needs to cut them loose. 
    7. Hire an experienced assistant coach.  If the rumors of Cline being removed as an assistant are true and Taylor is replacing Corny as an assistant, then this will be a young staff.  They could use an experienced assistant to help them out. 
    8. Do away with the switching defense.
    9. Keep DD's offense, but tweak it to where someone like OAK plays more around the basket. 
    10. Shot selection.  There is such a thing as a bad shot.  Do not give your players the green light to shoot the ball anytime, anywhere on the floor. 
    12. Call timeouts when the opposing team is making a run, or when you need to calm down your team.   

Or maybe coach exactly the way Coach Kim does :)
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 02:01:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or maybe coach exactly the way Coach Kim does :)

Her style of play does/will not work in mens basketball

Offline elginherd

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 02:08:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

8. Do away with the switching defense.

I agree with most of this.
    The only minor point that I'd change is completely eliminating the switching defense. There are situations where it can be very effective. It's just that there needs to be other items on the menu. And there needs to be a roster of more lateral quickness.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 02:10:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Her style of play does/will not work in mens basketball

yeah, remember how bad Press Virginia was 🙄

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, Collis P, horsrman, luckytoes99

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 04:11:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with most of this.
    The only minor point that I'd change is completely eliminating the switching defense. There are situations where it can be very effective. It's just that there needs to be other items on the menu. And there needs to be a roster of more lateral quickness.

I agree with your comment.  I've changed my original post to reflect this. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 04:11:08 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 05:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Her style of play does/will not work in mens basketball

It was invented in men's basketball.  It worked amazing and still does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinnell_System

"Under the system, Grinnell guard Jack Taylor scored an NCAA-record 138 points in a 2012 game,[1] and 109 in a 2013 game.[4] Previously, Grinnell players Jeff Clement (77) and Griffin Lentsch (89) held the Division III scoring record.[5][6]"

That's 10 years ago.  Still works.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 05:55:41 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 08:49:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I for sure agree with 3, 5, 6, 9. 11 & 12. Have NOT seen enough of 1, 2, 4 to make a true evaluation. Don't know enough about 8 one way or another. Disagree with 10 ("IF" and that's a big "if" they are good shooters). Finally with 7, I feel there needs to be someone brought in who can REALLY teach the bigs (if we have or get any) how to play DD's system.

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 09:04:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was invented in men's basketball.  It worked amazing and still does.

"Under the system, Grinnell guard Jack Taylor scored an NCAA-record 138 points in a 2012 game,[1] and 109 in a 2013 game.[4] Previously, Grinnell players Jeff Clement (77) and Griffin Lentsch (89) held the Division III scoring record.[5][6]"

I don't know enough about this system and whether it would work, but the Jack Taylor 138 point game is a sham. He basically didn't cross half court the whole night and his team passed up wide open layups with the explicit reason to try and get him the scoring record (decided before the game). Heck, Grinnell even started subbing the end of their bench to intentionally foul so that they can get the ball back for Taylor for more points.

The following users thanked this post: FilmJunky

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 09:13:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggs would destroy the SB. I'll even say he could have took our team this year and been in a battle with JMU and App St for the championship instead of a 10th place finish.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 08:25:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• yeah, remember how bad Press Virginia was 🙄

Remember how much more talent they had on that roster too? But if it was so good....why did they never win the BIG12 ?

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 08:26:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was invented in men's basketball.  It worked amazing and still does.

That game was an absolute fluke lol Also we are talking about mid major D1 basketball here not D3. If the style worked so good an was effective more people would do it. You saw what happened when Marshall's women faced a team with good guards. Easy shot after Easy Shot.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 08:33:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggs would destroy the SB. I'll even say he could have took our team this year and been in a battle with JMU and App St for the championship instead of a 10th place finish.

HAHAHAHA. No way. What is Huggs claim to fame anyways? He's coached for longer than most people so by default he wins games? The only time he ever did anything important at WVU was with a roster Beilein recruited.

Huggs was at WVU for 15 years roughly. Made five sweet 16's.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 08:39:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That game was an absolute fluke lol Also we are talking about mid major D1 basketball here not D3. If the style worked so good an was effective more people would do it. You saw what happened when Marshall's women faced a team with good guards. Easy shot after Easy Shot.

It still works if the opponent has a good one or two guards.
    Where the advantage disappears is when the bigger women are decent to good ball handlers. That's where Coach Kim has found an advantage in the SBC, the lack of skill in positions 3-5 throughout the league.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 09:03:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HAHAHAHA. No way. What is Huggs claim to fame anyways? He's coached for longer than most people so by default he wins games? The only time he ever did anything important at WVU was with a roster Beilein recruited.

Huggs was at WVU for 15 years roughly. Made five sweet 16's.

How many did we make during that time?
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 09:07:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many did we make during that time?

You can't compare a Power Conference Basketball team to a league where you're only going to get 1 bid. Point being everyone acts like Huggs is a great basketball coach. I'm here to tell you.....He's not. His style of play is outdated in today's world.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 09:07:35 AM »

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 09:09:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It still works if the opponent has a good one or two guards.
    Where the advantage disappears is when the bigger women are decent to good ball handlers. That's where Coach Kim has found an advantage in the SBC, the lack of skill in positions 3-5 throughout the league.

I don't disagree but I'd argue you'd find way more teams in the SBC in women's that are weaker at the 3-5 spot than you would men's.

Offline svherd

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 09:10:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't expect to see a huge improvement next season with all the things going on and adjustments to new scheme, many new players etc. The second year of Corny will be the tale of the tape. jmho
    We'll see.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: FilmJunky

Offline elginherd

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 09:43:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't disagree but I'd argue you'd find way more teams in the SBC in women's that are weaker at the 3-5 spot than you would men's.

Exactly.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 09:43:14 AM »