Author Topic: Goodman: D'antoni Out, Corny In  (Read 6603 times)

Offline herdfan129

Re: Goodman: D'antoni Out, Corny In
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2024, 01:38:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know, it sounds like CJ wants to get away from one dimensional players. I've heard Pruett is not going on scholarship now, and Braun will be asked to look elsewhere.

Could all be the rumor mill working, but evidently CJ is already working on getting the roster the way he wants it.

I know you spent a lot time around practices early on. You've mentioned more than once that Dan wouldn't take some of the players that CJ wanted to because it would have created more work for him. Can you expand on that?

If this is true then I will buy season tickets. I?m not buying tickets if he?s going to continue the DD approach with roster management
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2024, 01:38:01 AM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2024, 11:22:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this is true then I will buy season tickets. I?m not buying tickets if he?s going to continue the DD approach with roster management

I can't imagine any coaches or potential coaches that would follow DDs roster approach.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ru4mu2, chris88, mubowhunter, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2024, 11:43:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this is true then I will buy season tickets. I?m not buying tickets if he?s going to continue the DD approach with roster management

I'm in the same boat. I'll be watching what Corny does with the roster and who he brings in. I think he will be completely different than Danny. I still can't wrap my brain around what Danny was thinking. He had no clue how to put a roster together. I also think Corny will keep a lot of the offense Danny installed but will also implement a lot of things he learned from Gary Watters and others. And Corny will be working recruiting non stop. It's a new day herdfans!!!!

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2024, 11:58:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe sometime this week there will be a press conference? It would be nice to hear Corny's ideas on how he wants to run the program and an update on recruiting.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Always THE HERD

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2024, 12:03:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe sometime this week there will be a press conference? It would be nice to hear Corny's ideas on how he wants to run the program and an update on recruiting.
    Hard to believe there has not been a press conference already (seems like something is just not right about this)

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2024, 01:10:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Believe I heard they are trying to do it on Wednesday of this week.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2024, 01:59:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 02:17:38 PM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2024, 02:22:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I'm in the same boat. I'll be watching what Corny does with the roster and who he brings in. I think he will be completely different than Danny. I still can't wrap my brain around what Danny was thinking. He had no clue how to put a roster together. I also think Corny will keep a lot of the offense Danny installed but will also implement a lot of things he learned from Gary Watters and others. And Corny will be working recruiting non stop. It's a new day herdfans!!!!

I hope you're right.  IMO, the offensive side just needs a few tweaks.  The defensive side needs a complete overhaul, as does their approach to strength and conditioning.  Corny has a tough task ahead of him.  Hopefully he has the intestinal fortitude to make the tough decisions needed to move the program forward. 

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline elginherd

« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2024, 03:00:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope you're right.  IMO, the offensive side just needs a few tweaks.  The defensive side needs a complete overhaul, as does their approach to strength and conditioning.  Corny has a tough task ahead of him.  Hopefully he has the intestinal fortitude to make the tough decisions needed to move the program forward.

Both sides of the court need more than a few tweaks.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2, wlf, miltonherdfan, mubowhunter, Herdalum94, scope58

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2024, 07:21:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We will know a lot in the next few weeks to next month or two. We will see what kind of guys Corny brings in and we will see which guys (if any) that he tells they are no longer on scholarship here at Marshall.

I?m cautiously optimistic.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2024, 08:47:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been told that he will not tell people that are already in the program to pack their bags.

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2024, 08:58:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been told that he will not tell people that are already in the program to pack their bags.

TRS
    MU 71

If true, then he isn't serious about the job and we just screwed ourselves.
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 09:34:39 PM by wasbarryb »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2024, 08:58:16 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2024, 09:32:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

TRS
    MU 71

If true then I no longer support him as coach. He is just DD 2.0, and we made a mistake in hiring him.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2024, 09:57:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bad move on his part if so.  Upgrade the entire roster.  Nothing going on there.  About 35ppg returning

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2024, 11:13:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

TRS
    MU 71

That is 180 of what I've been told.

Heard he's told Pruett he isn't going on scholarship now and told Braun he can stay here, but it won't be on scholarship going forward.

We will see though.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2024, 12:55:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like how different ones on this site, say that they have been told this or that. Many times what these same people have heard never, every is actually true and does not work out like you may have heard or even made up.

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum94

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2024, 06:58:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is 180 of what I've been told.

Heard he's told Pruett he isn't going on scholarship now and told Braun he can stay here, but it won't be on scholarship going forward.

We will see though.

Thing is Braun might be 3rd best player on team behind obinna and Martin.  What a roster. 

Offline MUonium

« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2024, 08:15:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thing is Braun might be 3rd best player on team behind obinna and Martin.  What a roster.

if this isn't sarcasm, i'd remind you who got game minutes in front of him.  everybody else down-bench.  i recall a flash or two in some of each year's exhibition games, but that was all, zip.

anyway, how the hell was DD so blind with so many players?  i mean, i'd understand if every meaningful recruit turned him down at the last minute and he had few choices. 

i have to believe that Corny will not squander this amazing opportunity, that is, if he has full control of the roster and scholarships

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2024, 09:46:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

TRS
    MU 71

As Paul Harvey use to say, " And now, the rest of the story":

Seven players have been told they have a scholarship available for next year: Martin, Oak, Connor, Fricks, Nutter, and the two incoming freshman. We are looking at bringing in 4-6 players from the portal/JUCO, but do not want to bring in all one and done. Both Braun/Pruett have been told they are still on the team, but no guarantee a scholarship will be available. That will be determined by how many players we bring in. Both have been encouraged to look at other schools and we will help in anyway possible. In other words we would like to keep them on the team, can't make any promises to playing time/money, but also want to do what is right by the kid.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2024, 10:10:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A note to (cool hand) Luke Creasy for Corny's press conference: Ask some questions about his plans for the program, recruiting updates and staff development.

Thank you

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, Flat Tire 2, Rockin Herd Fan

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2024, 10:29:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can go the below links and you can view the roster as it stands now for 2024-2025 as compared to the link for 2023-2024 We know the players who no longer have eligibility (4) and the transfers McKey; Crawford; Toussaint and Moe. It doesn't appear that any other players are leaving at this time per the site. Is Thieneman on scholarship? I guess that roster could change?

Also, the opening for an assistant coach is also listed.

https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2024-25

https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2023-24
    « Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:33:27 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline sardistim

« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2024, 10:32:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As Paul Harvey use to say, " And now, the rest of the story":

Seven players have been told they have a scholarship available for next year: Martin, Oak, Connor, Fricks, Nutter, and the two incoming freshman. We are looking at bringing in 4-6 players from the portal/JUCO, but do not want to bring in all one and done. Both Braun/Pruett have been told they are still on the team, but no guarantee a scholarship will be available. That will be determined by how many players we bring in. Both have been encouraged to look at other schools and we will help in anyway possible. In other words we would like to keep them on the team, can't make any promises to playing time/money, but also want to do what is right by the kid.

I hope this is true, both that CJ is trying to bring in players to beef up the roster and trying to do right by all the kids on the team.  They are after all kids -- 18-21 year old kids -- and the most important thing is for them to get a college education.  Each of them are doing the best they can.  It's not their fault D'Antoni was terrible at building a roster (and I say that as one that liked DD) and picked some of them when their skills are not D1 quality.  Being honest with them and letting them choose their path knowing the risks is as fair as possible in this less than optimal situation.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, chris88, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2024, 10:32:42 AM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2024, 10:58:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Grab one and done if they will help us win.  Need complete roster overhaul.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2024, 11:23:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Grab one and done if they will help us win.  Need complete roster overhaul.

Knight's post said something like they didn't want ALL one and dones.  I read that to mean they were willing to take some one and dones if they looked good and some that would hopefully contribute for more than one year. 

I hope that is what they are going to do.  They need both to try to produce a major rebuild next year and to build for the future.

Jackson has one hell of a task in front of him.  If he succeeds he deserves much more than we are paying him.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2024, 11:38:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can go the below links and you can view the roster as it stands now for 2024-2025 as compared to the link for 2023-2024 We know the players who no longer have eligibility (4) and the transfers McKey; Crawford; Toussaint and Moe. It doesn't appear that any other players are leaving at this time per the site. Is Thieneman on scholarship? I guess that roster could change?

Also, the opening for an assistant coach is also listed.

https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2024-25

https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2023-24
    I don't see where an opening for an assistant coach is listed in you links (although I would assume a position is open, due the fact that CJ is promoted).

HerdFans.com

« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2024, 11:38:38 AM »