Author Topic: All That Matters is March  (Read 960 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

All That Matters is March
« on: March 16, 2024, 09:22:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember Dan's famous statement that all that matters in basketball is March?

Well, take a look at NC State who is the finals of the ACC tournament. NC State's head coach is former Greg White assistant coach Kevin Keatts. NC State finished the season in the bottom half of the ACC, but Keatts has his team peaking at the right time and playing against UNC for the ACC Championship. Keatts beat Duke in an earlier game in the tournament.

By the way Kevin earned his degree from Marshall University in 2011. Say what you want to about Greg, but he certainly attracted some great assistant coaches. Compare that to Dan's coaching tree.

I guess we hired the wrong alumnus to coach The Herd.
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:41:27 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, DC01HERD, Always THE HERD, ed swain, wlf, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

All That Matters is March
    « on: March 16, 2024, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline DC01HERD

Re: All That Matters is March
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 11:46:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • White had some good teams. It's unfortunate that the 97 team didn't close out the conference tournament championship game. The Slay and Vanhoose teams were extremely competitive but couldn't finish in the MAC Tournament.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 12:02:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i am not sure DD was the wrong hire. He just has stayed too long.

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 02:57:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • White had some good teams. It's unfortunate that the 97 team didn't close out the conference tournament championship game. The Slay and Vanhoose teams were extremely competitive but couldn't finish in the MAC Tournament.

Yes GW had good teams and would play the power teams. Some fans forget that GW beat Georgia(SEC), Wake Forest(ACC) Dayton, UMass and etc in the late 1990's. He also was a very good recruiter getting a top forty player plus another top 100 while signing a first team juco AA. It was a shame the juco AA slipped on the wet floor at the Cam busted up his knee before ever playing a game.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, wlf, MicDrass1

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 03:20:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i am not sure DD was the wrong hire. He just has stayed too long.

DD was absolutely the wrong hire and where the program is now confirms it.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 04:00:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD was absolutely the wrong hire and where the program is now confirms it.

I don't mind experimental hires, but if he comes back next year, he'll have been here as long as Jirsa, DJ, and Herrion combined.

And it kinda worked in the beginning. Inherited a dumpster fire from Herrion and was competitive in C-USA by his 2nd season. Caught lightning in a bottle for a magical two weeks in his 4th season. That bought him a grace period, and it should have, but that grace period should have been over at least 3 years ago.

His system also kinda worked at first. The average NCAA team wasn't shooting nearly enough threes a decade ago. So speeding up the game to take the most advantage of other teams playing sub-optimally was a good strategy. But now teams have caught up with analytics, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're now far behind the average team in that department.

And now he's so clearly far behind the times. Did little to nothing with 5 years of a special talent in Taevion. Recruiting has tanked. He's never getting anybody with half of Tae's talent ever again. Hates the portal. Horrific defensive philosophy. Grumpy about everything. No sportsmanship. Throws players under the bus. Snippy to Keith Morehouse. Doesn't give any praise to other Herd teams. Propped up by powerful family/friends. But we're stuck with 2 more years because Spears or whoever was in charge of the extension made a colossal mistake.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 06:42:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes GW had good teams and would play the power teams. Some fans forget that GW beat Georgia(SEC), Wake Forest(ACC) Dayton, UMass and etc in the late 1990's. He also was a very good recruiter getting a top forty player plus another top 100 while signing a first team juco AA. It was a shame the juco AA slipped on the wet floor at the Cam busted up his knee before ever playing a game.

GW teams are better than DD.  The MAC was good during GW era.  NBA players on about every good team.  Same when fb was in MAC.  Mac was loaded with pro players.  Every team

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, wlf

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 11:00:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't mind experimental hires, but if he comes back next year, he'll have been here as long as Jirsa, DJ, and Herrion combined.

And it kinda worked in the beginning. Inherited a dumpster fire from Herrion and was competitive in C-USA by his 2nd season. Caught lightning in a bottle for a magical two weeks in his 4th season. That bought him a grace period, and it should have, but that grace period should have been over at least 3 years ago.

His system also kinda worked at first. The average NCAA team wasn't shooting nearly enough threes a decade ago. So speeding up the game to take the most advantage of other teams playing sub-optimally was a good strategy. But now teams have caught up with analytics, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're now far behind the average team in that department.

And now he's so clearly far behind the times. Did little to nothing with 5 years of a special talent in Taevion. Recruiting has tanked. He's never getting anybody with half of Tae's talent ever again. Hates the portal. Horrific defensive philosophy. Grumpy about everything. No sportsmanship. Throws players under the bus. Snippy to Keith Morehouse. Doesn't give any praise to other Herd teams. Propped up by powerful family/friends. But we're stuck with 2 more years because Spears or whoever was in charge of the extension made a colossal mistake.

That last paragraph says it all. I still haven't heard him mention Kim and the woman's team once. That is disgusting imo. You know it is eating him alive that she comes in and crushes it in her first year. He is starting to show his true side because he is boxed in and knows his day in the sunshine is over. He completely screwed the roster up and isn't going to be able to fix it with his awful recruiting and poor judgement of talent. Watch for the weakest schedule we have seen in decades next year. I truly have no idea why Obinna or Martin would want to come back to this dumpster fire.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, coalherd

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 11:19:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should we as fans begin to face the reality that we will be unable to topple the D'Antoni regime ?

I was convinced that DD would step down in the face of this ignominy - and that was before we lost 8 out of 9 to close. Bust was correct and I wasn't.
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:23:56 AM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 12:59:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should we as fans begin to face he reality that we will be unable to topple the D'Antoni regime ?

I was convinced that DD would step down in the face of this ignominy - and that was before we lost 8 out of 9 to close. Bust was correct and I wasn't.

Simply stop attending

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 07:59:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That last paragraph says it all. I still haven't heard him mention Kim and the woman's team once. That is disgusting imo. You know it is eating him alive that she comes in and crushes it in her first year. He is starting to show his true side because he is boxed in and knows his day in the sunshine is over. He completely screwed the roster up and isn't going to be able to fix it with his awful recruiting and poor judgement of talent. Watch for the weakest schedule we have seen in decades next year. I truly have no idea why Obinna or Martin would want to come back to this dumpster fire.

I agree. Dan always thought basketball was king at Marshall, but Herd Fans love a winner. I would guess he also jealous of the Soccer Team's National Championship and the Football team upsetting Notre Dame? Baseball and Softball have also been drawing nice crowds.

Update NCST upset #4 UNC in the ACC Championship 84-76. Congrats to former MU assistant basketball coach coach Kevin Keatts! Kevin either took enough classes at MU (while working under Greg White) to obtain his degree or he got a Marshall R.B.A.

Since 1975, Marshall University?s R.B.A. degree completion program has graduated nearly 7,000 students.
    https://www.marshall.edu/rba/
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 08:24:17 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, wlf, herdorbust2

Offline MUther

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 09:37:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And now he's so clearly far behind the times. Did little to nothing with 5 years of a special talent in Taevion. Recruiting has tanked. He's never getting anybody with half of Tae's talent ever again. Hates the portal. Horrific defensive philosophy. Grumpy about everything. No sportsmanship. Throws players under the bus. Snippy to Keith Morehouse. Doesn't give any praise to other Herd teams. Propped up by powerful family/friends. But we're stuck with 2 more years because Spears or whoever was in charge of the extension made a colossal mistake.

Don't forget blows off pre-planned Herd fan engagements in other cities he doesn't consider important enough to set an event reminder for.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 09:37:20 AM »

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 12:45:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish Mike D. would stand in as a 1-year "consultant" HC - and bring plenty of NIL $$ from whatever sources. Hit the portal, aided by his legacy NBA career, beat the inner city bushes for those 1 or 2 tremendous athletes, run his NBA system with a tad of defense tossed in. Save some face for brother Danny - We all could win.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline bighat

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 02:40:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The women are in and I can't wait to see them play.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 12:24:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, another Greg White player/assistant coach has made it to the Big Dance. Stetson and Donnie Jones made it the Big Dance. Can anyone think of a Dantoni assistant that has made it to The Big Dance?

Edit: Interesting article on teams that snubbed the NIT including Ole Miss; Memphis; St Johns; Indiana and Oklahoma. If they had accepted I wonder if Appy would have been invited?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/longtime-coach-tom-crean-blasts-teams-like-ole-miss-basketball-that-chose-to-skip-nit/ar-BB1k62Bt
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:41:51 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 12:58:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, another Greg White player/assistant coach has made it to the Big Dance. Stetson and Donnie Jones made it the Big Dance. Can anyone think of a Dantoni assistant that has made it to The Big Dance?

Edit: Interesting article on teams that snubbed the NIT including Ole Miss; Memphis; St Johns; Indiana and Oklahoma. If they had accepted I wonder if Appy would have been invited?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/longtime-coach-tom-crean-blasts-teams-like-ole-miss-basketball-that-chose-to-skip-nit/ar-BB1k62Bt
    We had him here and he used Marshall money to go to UCF and interview for their HC job. He was supposed to be on a recruiting trip. No thanks when it comes to Benedict Donnie.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Herdalum83

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 09:22:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, Kevin Keatts  is in the Elite Eight of The Big Dance. Congrats to a MU grad and former Greg White assistant.

The ACC has 3 teams; B10 two teams; SEC two teams and The Big East has one teams in the Elite Eight. I remember one former poster saying UCONN wasn't relevant in basketball some time ago?

I have a cousin who is a NCSU grad and his late sister was a Duke grad. Needless to say my cousin is pumped up.

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 09:29:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, Kevin Keatts  is in the Elite Eight of The Big Dance. Congrats to a MU grad and former Greg White assistant.

The ACC has 3 teams; B10 two teams; SEC two teams and The Big East has one teams in the Elite Eight. I remember one former poster saying UCONN wasn't relevant in basketball some time ago?

I have a cousin who is a NCSU grad and his late sister was a Duke grad. Needless to say my cousin is pumped up.
    ~
    But according to the Big12, they have the toughest conference....just sayin

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2024, 09:29:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I can't think of a Dantoni assistant that has made it to another program.  One that is hopefully succeeding and thriving in AA, but little beyond that.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

HerdFans.com

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2024, 09:29:23 AM »