Author Topic: Caldwell's Future  (Read 4017 times)

Offline MUther

Re: Caldwell's Future
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2024, 06:16:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think you all know Coach Caldwell too well.
    She signed a long term contract for her dream job. I think she stays here like she did at Glenville not using Marshall as a stepping stone just like she didn't use Glenville as a stepping stone.

I think some of us are just happy to have a coach worth talking about.  No one thinks she would leave on a whim.  But 2 hours away, triple the money, and a place where if she doesn't win the whole tournament her girls would still get to go dancing is a heck of a selling point if it were true.  We were three points and a hell of a struggle from watching the NCAAT on television.  But I agree, I think she wants to at least leave a winning legacy here before she considers another job.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2024, 06:16:02 AM »

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2024, 07:56:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This article shows SEC school salaries by sport.  While UK pays more, it shows nowhere near some of the numbers I've heard for UK.  Article is 1 year old. 
    I hope she stays, just not sure this is the job she would jump to.  https://medium.com/@nkbonner/pay-disparities-between-sec-coaches-841489a9e29

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline svherd

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2024, 08:23:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She just doesn't seem like the kind of person to chase the money. The Marshall job wasn't the most attractive but she took it for a reason. It's close to her home, mother, yeah it pays more and her husband has a job. Together they are both bringing in well over 300K. Not a bad life in Huntington, or the area. Plus perks.
    She will leave eventually, but not this year. Replacing Beemon and Campbell will be chore. Teams will be better prepared for us next year. We'll see what happens.

She is an awesome coach. The fun ride continues

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, horsrman

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2024, 08:46:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think assistant Jenna Burdette could step in and lead this program. She coached with Kim at Glenville and does a lot of in game coaching.

But I hope Kim will stay and retire here.

Burdette would do a fine job. She has been around the game her whole life and was an exceptional player at Dayton. If you notice she is the one with the clip board in the timeouts. I don't think Caldwell is going anywhere this soon, but if so Burdette should be Spears first look should she not follow Caldwell if she would leave.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, MUther, GoHerd35

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2024, 01:52:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She just doesn't seem like the kind of person to chase the money. The Marshall job wasn't the most attractive but she took it for a reason. It's close to her home, mother, yeah it pays more and her husband has a job. Together they are both bringing in well over 300K. Not a bad life in Huntington, or the area. Plus perks.
    She will leave eventually, but not this year. Replacing Beemon and Campbell will be chore. Teams will be better prepared for us next year. We'll see what happens.

She is an awesome coach. The fun ride continues

"Don't you miss it, don't you miss it
    Some of you people just about missed it" - Born Under Punches ( Talking Heads )
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2024, 03:53:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This article shows SEC school salaries by sport.  While UK pays more, it shows nowhere near some of the numbers I've heard for UK.  Article is 1 year old. 
    I hope she stays, just not sure this is the job she would jump to.  https://medium.com/@nkbonner/pay-disparities-between-sec-coaches-841489a9e29

It is almost 3 times the salary of Caldwell.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-women-basketball-paying-heavy-155716897.html
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 04:05:15 PM by MidlandKnight »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2024, 04:29:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1 thing about coaching hoops here...she's seemingly already, in just 1 season, guaranteed herself a lifetime, 6-figure contract by making an NCAA tournament appearance...no more shall be required or expected 😂😂😂

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2024, 09:45:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UK fired their women's coach today - per a couple of well connected UK alum friends of mine - Kim Caldwell is one of 2 names already being mentioned for the position.  The other is the coach at Transylvania.

I guess your "couple of well connected UK alums friends of mine" were wrong. UK hired the VA Tech coach.

https://theathletic.com/5368203/2024/03/26/kenny-brooks-hiring-kentucky-womens-basketball-coach/

Offline Skidude

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2024, 08:38:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn?t say UK was making a run to hire Caldwell - only that her name was mentioned as a coach of interest. UK actually conducted a thorough search for a new coach (unlike some schools) and hired who they thought best fit their program from the available/interested candidates.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline andy31

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2024, 08:52:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On a related note to the UK - VT move, I have seen Caldwell at least mentioned as a possible candidate at VT now.  No idea if that is real interest on either side.
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:35:45 AM by andy31 »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2024, 08:57:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn?t say UK was making a run to hire Caldwell - only that her name was mentioned as a coach of interest. UK actually conducted a thorough search for a new coach (unlike some schools) and hired who they thought best fit their program from the available/interested candidates.

Good point, I didn't read your post that closely, my mistake. I apologize.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2024, 09:01:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It appears that the Rice coach is the leading candidate for the VT job.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2024, 09:01:54 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2024, 09:03:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW, I have an uncle in the newspaper biz, MUSOJ alum, he also coached womens AAU basketball in Huntington in the 70's. He has emailed Caldwell numerous times about her career and success this season. In his last email, he wrote that he hoped she would be at Marshall forever, she responded that she wants to be and hopes so as well. Granted, it doesn't prove anything but I do think she will be here for a while for many reasons. Hubs will be on Corny's staff and likely any staff after that, or reassigned within the AD - just as way to keep Kim happy. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2024, 09:53:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW, I have an uncle in the newspaper biz, MUSOJ alum, he also coached womens AAU basketball in Huntington in the 70's. He has emailed Caldwell numerous times about her career and success this season. In his last email, he wrote that he hoped she would be at Marshall forever, she responded that she wants to be and hopes so as well. Granted, it doesn't prove anything but I do think she will be here for a while for many reasons. Hubs will be on Corny's staff and likely any staff after that, or reassigned within the AD - just as way to keep Kim happy. jmho
    "Uncle Chuck"?  I kid, I kid, lol

Offline svherd

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2024, 09:57:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Uncle Chuck"?  I kid, I kid, lol

LOL! No, thank goodness.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2024, 10:01:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We all better get used to possible rumors regarding teams having an interest in Kim. It may be irritating, but it is a good sign for the program.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2024, 10:46:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was reported that VTs coach had already met with UK before the NCAA game with Marshall. It was a no brainer that she was the leading candidate.

I agree that KC will have lots of people come calling if she continues to thrive at MU.  The money isn't always the thing no matter what they pay. UK's attendance is less than 3k per game in 20,000 seat arena (#56 nationally) and ranks 12th in SEC. From Feb 1 on MU averaged nearly as many fans as UK. If she were to consider leaving at some point, I believe it would come down to her not being able to recruit at Marshall to the level she needs to move MU to close to the top tier.

I firmly believe we were a top 50 program at end of year. Any team we lost to before VT I believe we would have beaten in a rematch. During the SB tourney I was thinking maybe it would be better in year one to make a deep run in the WBIT. After VT, I believe it was much better to play in NCAAs and a program like VT. MTSU was #37ish NET and won a game in rd one as an 11 seed. We were not far from them IMO. The goal over next few years is to try and get us to be a NET in the low 30's or 20's. That would be somewhere between MTSU and Gonzaga and at least get you in good at large territory. Remember that according to reports, the NCAA will likely begin giving monetary units to leagues like the men get (albeit less money).

As far as SBC goes three of top 4 were newbies (MU, JMU, ODU). ULM, Troy, Appy, etc have good coaches.  A record 6 SBC women's team made it to postseason. JMU lost at home to a good Stong Brook team (25-3?) in rd one of WBIT. Three SB teams in sweet 16 of NIT which says SBC doing ok with schools in the 100-150 NET range and beyond but the league needs to step up scheduling and recruiting and have more top 100 programs. Despite what ODU/JMU coaches have said, the SBC needs to play and beat more quality teams.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: svherd, mu79grad, luckytoes99

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2024, 10:52:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She's going to be mentioned as a candidate for any regional job around here just get used to it. Huff has been "mentioned" for several jobs in various articles, but he's still here. Not saying the 2 are remotely close to the same, but just prepare for her name to be "mentioned" for any job on the eastern half of the United States.   

Offline elginherd

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2024, 10:59:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was reported that VTs coach had already met with UK before the NCAA game with Marshall. It was a no brainer that she was the leading candidate.

I agree that KC will have lots of people come calling if she continues to thrive at MU.  The money isn't always the thing no matter what they pay. UK's attendance is less than 3k per game in 20,000 seat arena (#56 nationally) and ranks 12th in SEC. From Feb 1 on MU averaged nearly as many fans as UK. If she were to consider leaving at some point, I believe it would come down to her not being able to recruit at Marshall to the level she needs to move MU to close to the top tier.

I firmly believe we were a top 50 program at end of year. Any team we lost to before VT I believe we would have beaten in a rematch. During the SB tourney I was thinking maybe it would be better in year one to make a deep run in the WBIT. After VT, I believe it was much better to play in NCAAs and a program like VT. MTSU was #37ish NET and won a game in rd one as an 11 seed. We were not far from them IMO. The goal over next few years is to try and get us to be a NET in the low 30's or 20's. That would be somewhere between MTSU and Gonzaga and at least get you in good at large territory. Remember that according to reports, the NCAA will likely begin giving monetary units to leagues like the men get (albeit less money).

As far as SBC goes three of top 4 were newbies (MU, JMU, ODU). ULM, Troy, Appy, etc have good coaches.  A record 6 SBC women's team made it to postseason. JMU lost at home to a good Stong Brook team (25-3?) in rd one of WBIT. Three SB teams in sweet 16 of NIT which says SBC doing ok with schools in the 100-150 NET range and beyond but the league needs to step up scheduling and recruiting and have more top 100 programs. Despite what ODU/JMU coaches have said, the SBC needs to play and beat more quality teams.

If Dawn Staley had gone to UK instead of USC, womens BB would be a revenue sport at UK.
    Attendance at USC wasn't good either until she started showing signs of being very successful.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2024, 11:00:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When a Marshall coach in any sport isn't mentioned for job openings in P5 leagues, then you know we aren't having success (or our coach is really old).

Maybe Kim's different and will want to stay forever? When a program with ~3x+ the resources comes along, most coaches bounce. Its just the life of a mid-major. Go get the next best up and comer and do it over again.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline chris88

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2024, 11:14:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Dawn Staley had gone to UK instead of USC, womens BB would be a revenue sport at UK.
    Attendance at USC wasn't good either until she started showing signs of being very successful.

Agree to an extent but if you look at SC support across all programs you see that they have probably best fan support in the country....even when they are not great at some things. Top 5 in both womens and men's BB attendance. #1 in both women and men's soccer. Among best in FB attendance based on capacity percentage. The UK job if you consider the league is not a great job imo and will always be hugely overshadowed by men's BB.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2024, 11:34:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree to an extent but if you look at SC support across all programs you see that they have probably best fan support in the country....even when they are not great at some things. Top 5 in both womens and men's BB attendance. #1 in both women and men's soccer. Among best in FB attendance based on capacity percentage. The UK job if you consider the league is not a great job imo and will always be hugely overshadowed by men's BB.

Just six schools (South Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Texas) finished in the Top 40 in average attendance per game in each of these five sports ? football, men?s and women?s basketball, baseball, and softball.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2024, 11:34:06 AM »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2024, 12:56:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Being mentioned by P5 schools is what we all have craved about our coaches. With Holiday and D'Antoni, it was said they must not be good because no one came after them. I realize both are up there in age, but it was mentioned on this board more than once. The same thing is being said about Huff. If this air raid system clicks this year, he may be on a short list somewhere.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #73 on: March 27, 2024, 01:06:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As an FYi?UK women only play at Rupp because Memorial Coliseum where they typically play all but a few of their games is being renovated.  Once the renovation is done they will move back to Memorial Coliseum on campus.  It is a nice size but no where the size of Rupp Arena.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2024, 02:09:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just six schools (South Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Texas) finished in the Top 40 in average attendance per game in each of these five sports ? football, men?s and women?s basketball, baseball, and softball.

KY finished #53 in women's BB attendance. To be fair I checked and their attendance was more around 5k a game when Mitchell was there a few years ago and still playing at other arena. About 3-4 years ago they were 25-6 with a #22 NET. So yes, UK has good support across most of sports spectrum and has great overall facilities. I wonder what they gave VT coach to entice her to come to Lexington.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2024, 02:09:20 PM »