Author Topic: Caldwell's Future  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Mako

Re: Caldwell's Future
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 06:37:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Kentucky were to want to talk the possibility of an offer Marshall President and legal may have something to say firstly. I do not know who is bringing this to the forum and do not frankly care for this topic the very day we get a well deserved win and championship in WBB.
    You are suspect whomever you are to cause division at a time of celebration. Take your topic and shove it!

What legal action can you take?  You can't force someone to stay in a job.  UK might have to pay Marshall a buyout but that's pocket change to them.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 06:37:15 PM »

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2024, 06:41:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Kentucky were to want to talk the possibility of an offer Marshall President and legal may have something to say firstly. I do not know who is bringing this to the forum and do not frankly care for this topic the very day we get a well deserved win and championship in WBB.
    You are suspect whomever you are to cause division at a time of celebration. Take your topic and shove it!

What an ignorant post. Get a grip.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, miltonherdfan

Offline Skidude

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2024, 06:48:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I didn't mean to pi$$ in your Wheaties - I was just passing on information that I was contacted by 2 different influential UK alums who told me that Kim Caldwell was one of two coaches they were interested in contacting.  I'm not happy with their interest - but, it's nice to finally to have a coach that someone else is actually showing some interest in.  The last coach we had any other school showed an interest in was Bobby Pruett.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, miltonherdfan, ThunderCat98

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2024, 06:56:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't mean to pi$$ in your Wheaties - I was just passing on information that I was contacted by 2 different influential UK alums who told me that Kim Caldwell was one of two coaches they were interested in contacting.  I'm not happy with their interest - but, it's nice to finally to have a coach that someone else is actually showing some interest in.  The last coach we had any other school showed an interest in was Bobby Pruett.

FWIW Dept: Here are links to three articles and Kim is not mentioned as a possible candidate for the UK position. Two articles are from the Kentucky media outlets and one is from The Athletic.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article286411820.html

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2024/03/11/kentucky-womens-basketball-coach-candidates-kyra-elzy-fired-greg-todd-molly-miller-matthew-mitchell/72931214007/

https://theathletic.com/5332880/2024/03/11/kentucky-candidates-womens-basketball-kyra-elzy/
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:40:02 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline MUther

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2024, 07:02:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here are links to three articles and Kim is not mentioned as a possible candidate for the UK position. Two articles are from the Kentucky media outlets and one is from The Athletic.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article286411820.html

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2024/03/11/kentucky-womens-basketball-coach-candidates-kyra-elzy-fired-greg-todd-molly-miller-matthew-mitchell/72931214007/

https://theathletic.com/5332880/2024/03/11/kentucky-candidates-womens-basketball-kyra-elzy/

I could see her name being tossed around, unofficially, especially after winning the conference and then the  championship just a couple hours ago.  He said UK fans told him, not an official news source.

The following users thanked this post: ThunderCat98

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2024, 07:08:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could see her name being tossed around, unofficially, especially after winning the conference and then the  championship just a couple hours ago.  He said UK fans told him, not an official news source.

I agree her name could be tossed around for the job, I mean Donovan went from MU to the SEC. Donovan did have a very good reputation in the SEC.   The OP is posting a rumor, that is all it is and everyone is thinking Kim is going to be offered the UK job. Apparently the KY media doesn't seem to think it is a done deal. I am taking his comment with a grain of salt.  I always thought a great source for a rumor was a neighbor of my cousin who works as a secretary in the athletic department. lol

Seriously the OP is just reporting a rumor and thanks for the information. I am not putting the OP down. Again take it with a grain of salt. His comments make message boards interesting.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:46:09 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2024, 07:10:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to the article, Kentucky also owes the fired coach a 2.5 million dollar buyout.

Offline svherd

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2024, 07:28:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many times have we heard Marshall boosters said this person will be Marshall next coach, etc. Not disputing posters sources but the boosters usually don't know half of what goes on.

Kim is great and will be a hot commodity no question but I envision UK going after a big time D1 assistant, maybe even someone within the SEC.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Online elginherd

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2024, 07:29:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are several WBB programs in the SEC which generate major money.
    UK can and will pay 'can't say no' money to whomever they decide on.

I'd be somewhat surprised if that was Coach Kim because she's only had a year in a not well regarded mid major D1 conference. I'd expect someone from a highly successful upper mid or P6 coach from another conference. Having recruiting chops chasing elite level talent has got to be one of the big items that UK will look for.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, ThunderCat98

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2024, 07:39:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mitchell, their former coach, is the front-runner.  That being said, I'm certain Caldwell's resume will cause some big-name schools to send out feelers.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2024, 08:34:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think you all know Coach Caldwell too well.
    She signed a long term contract for her dream job. I think she stays here like she did at Glenville not using Marshall as a stepping stone just like she didn't use Glenville as a stepping stone.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Buffalo Bop, MicDrass1

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 08:51:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think you all know Coach Caldwell too well.
    She signed a long term contract for her dream job. I think she stays here like she did at Glenville not using Marshall as a stepping stone just like she didn't use Glenville as a stepping stone.

Good point. She turned down the Buffalo and Coastal Carolina head coaching jobs after winning the national championship at Glenville.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Buffalo Bop, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 08:51:31 PM »

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2024, 09:03:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caldwell said in her post game, speaking about Breanna Campbell and how she followed Caldwell to Marshall: "I'm appreciative of her (Bre) to choose Marshall to come with me and help us to help me to start what I wanted to do here at Marshall . . ." She also said later speaking on the fan support, "It's great I mean it gives you a kind of a homecourt advantage. I thought we had the better crowd. I thought we had the louder crowd, which says a lot because JMU still had two two teams in it and so again that's why this is a job that I wanted is because of the fans."

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #38 on: March 11, 2024, 09:05:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think sooner than later we make a Grassie-like commitment to Caldwell. We may eventually lose her to a true major, but we can do all we can to allow her to be successful and build something amazing here. I'm not sure we shouldn't hand her the men's program. She's smart and driven.

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2024, 09:08:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, and we didn't think Andrew was going anywhere either...

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2024, 09:14:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is a big difference in coin.....5 years X $525,000 difference in salary each year = Huge Difference. She won't be able to turn that down if offered.
    And maybe her husband gets a spot on Calapari's staff?
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2024, 09:18:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Who cares about Andrew? Let it go.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2024, 09:25:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He's a kid that saw money. She is an adult that see's the big picture. Jmho. Didn't end up too well for Andrew either. Grass ain't always greener.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, Flat Tire 2

Offline Surbadger

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2024, 10:21:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think sooner than later we make a Grassie-like commitment to Caldwell. We may eventually lose her to a true major, but we can do all we can to allow her to be successful and build something amazing here. I'm not sure we shouldn't hand her the men's program. She's smart and driven.

I was telling this to a family member today. We should be talking about making a commitment to Women's Basketball like we did with Soccer. Sports outside the major 2-3 are much easier to achieve greatness in with the right coach and support. If UK is paying their coach around $800,000, I am sure we have some boosters who would be willing to help us give at least a competitive salary.

A decade ago, we could NEVER have imagined our soccer program being where it was now. We are currently playing in a summer league with the likes of Ohio State, Butler, Michigan St, Louisville, Michigan, and Xavier and we are leading the standings! We are a power program in soccer. I believe with a coach like Caldwell, our women can also become a power as well.

Remember that UCONN wasn't the power it is before Gino, one coach can change everything, but we must be willing to put the money and support behind our winning programs.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Offline Mako

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2024, 10:49:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to the article, Kentucky also owes the fired coach a 2.5 million dollar buyout.

That's an athletic department rounding error at SEC schools.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

Online elginherd

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2024, 10:52:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was telling this to a family member today. We should be talking about making a commitment to Women's Basketball like we did with Soccer. Sports outside the major 2-3 are much easier to achieve greatness in with the right coach and support. If UK is paying their coach around $800,000, I am sure we have some boosters who would be willing to help us give at least a competitive salary.

A decade ago, we could NEVER have imagined our soccer program being where it was now. We are currently playing in a summer league with the likes of Ohio State, Butler, Michigan St, Louisville, Michigan, and Xavier and we are leading the standings! We are a power program in soccer. I believe with a coach like Caldwell, our women can also become a power as well.

Remember that UCONN wasn't the power it is before Gino, one coach can change everything, but we must be willing to put the money and support behind our winning programs.

Same with Dawn Staley at South Carolina. One of the best investments in a coach ever. Most of her years there, the USC WBB program has been a bigger revenue source than the men's team.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2024, 11:00:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was telling this to a family member today. We should be talking about making a commitment to Women's Basketball like we did with Soccer. Sports outside the major 2-3 are much easier to achieve greatness in with the right coach and support. If UK is paying their coach around $800,000, I am sure we have some boosters who would be willing to help us give at least a competitive salary.

I agree. The style is enjoyable to watch and should help bring in a consistent fan base. Take into consideration that women's basketball is on the rise, plus there are only about 15 real power house schools, there is room to grow.

The following users thanked this post: Surbadger

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2024, 11:00:20 PM »

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #47 on: March 11, 2024, 11:03:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, she would be a great spokesperson for a local business...beautiful, well-spoken and saavy...it would be a good way to pad her paycheck and she would certainly deliver value.

Offline sardistim

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2024, 11:45:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caldwell has put together the best season in Herd history--26 wins; 2nd NCAA trip, 1st since '97; 1st regular season championship since the '80s--with a short recruiting period, losing her best player for the season, and losing her tallest player to injury for half of the season.

I'm so looking forward to seeing what she can do with a couple of full recruiting seasons under her belt.  Hopefully, she recruits as well as she coaches.  Getting the Hayes sisters in the short period she had this year is a good sign.

We did not have the best starting individuals on the court in many of our games.  But we have great depth and a relentless pressing defense and good spacing and movement on offense with just good enough 3pt shooting to make it work.

If we get to where we have the best starting lineup in the Sunbelt plus our depth and our pressing defense, we could have teams that could beat power conference teams.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2024, 02:45:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of you got to try and destroy fans appreciation for Marshall sports achievements and postings. Kim will be here for the foreseeable future and money won?t be the reason she leaves.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2024, 02:45:26 AM »