Author Topic: Bring In The Troops To Protect Students  (Read 69 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Bring In The Troops To Protect Students
« on: April 25, 2024, 07:34:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am old enough to remember when President Eisenhower brought in Federal Troops to protect students when they integrated Little Rock, Arkansas high school. It was a horrible scene and Ike showed leadership by bringing in troops to stop the riots and protect the students. I wonder if Biden will show the same moral leadership with the current situation.?

HerdFans.com

Bring In The Troops To Protect Students
    « on: April 25, 2024, 07:34:16 AM »

Offline Big City

Re: Bring In The Troops To Protect Students
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 08:35:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Biden isn't calling the shots. He is just a puppet.
    He's told what to do, what and how to say it. Can barely read it from the teleprompter.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 08:37:39 AM by Big City »
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 09:10:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am old enough to remember when President Eisenhower brought in Federal Troops to protect students when they integrated Little Rock, Arkansas high school. It was a horrible scene and Ike showed leadership by bringing in troops to stop the riots and protect the students. I wonder if Biden will show the same moral leadership with the current situation.?

The "troops" were federalized national guard, not regular army.  And they were sent to enforce federal civil rights legislation to integrate the local schools.  Protecting the Little Rock Nine was just a fringe benefit of the military's involvement in integration.  It was the right thing to do, or Ike risked allowing states to run all over federal law.

This is completely different.  There is a safety factor, of course, but there's also a free speech component that everyone from the presidents of the universities to the local law enforcement agencies are having trouble understanding - let alone allowing and encouraging.  They don't seem to realize that free speech stops when the person threatens another, or trespasses, or defaces public property.  I don't have any issue with the encampments - "sit-ins" are a long standing tradition in this country; however, the first person that has a sign with "Hammas' next target" with an arrow to Jewish students should be spending time in jail. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 09:24:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The "troops" were federalized national guard, not regular army.  And they were sent to enforce federal civil rights legislation to integrate the local schools.  Protecting the Little Rock Nine was just a fringe benefit of the military's involvement in integration.  It was the right thing to do, or Ike risked allowing states to run all over federal law.

Just setting the history correctly. President Eisenhower show moral leadership, Biden not so much. Biden should be protecting the safety of Jewish students if the states will not. Texas and Californian officials seen to have some leadership on the issue. 

"When Governor Faubus ordered the Arkansas National Guard to surround Central High School to keep the nine students from entering the school, President Eisenhower ordered the 101st Airborne Division into Little Rock to insure the safety of the "Little Rock Nine" and that the rulings of the Supreme Court were upheld."
    https://www.eisenhowerlibrary.gov/research/online-documents/civil-rights-little-rock-school-integration-crisis
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:28:46 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 09:45:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just setting the history correctly. President Eisenhower show moral leadership, Biden not so much. Biden should be protecting the safety of Jewish students if the states will not. Texas and Californian officials seen to have some leadership on the issue. 

"When Governor Faubus ordered the Arkansas National Guard to surround Central High School to keep the nine students from entering the school, President Eisenhower ordered the 101st Airborne Division into Little Rock to insure the safety of the "Little Rock Nine" and that the rulings of the Supreme Court were upheld."
    https://www.eisenhowerlibrary.gov/research/online-documents/civil-rights-little-rock-school-integration-crisis

OK - corrected on the source of troops, but what do you propose that POTUS should do?  If the local and state law enforcement agencies are doing their job to protect both sides of students (and removing non-students), which they are trying to do, what role do you see for the federal government?  You're like the Jewish students who complain that the US isn't doing enough to get the hostages home.  What, exactly, is the government supposed to do without escalating the conflict and, potentially, violating civil rights?

- E-Man

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 09:57:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OK - corrected on the source of troops, but what do you propose that POTUS should do?  If the local and state law enforcement agencies are doing their job to protect both sides of students (and removing non-students), which they are trying to do, what role do you see for the federal government?  You're like the Jewish students who complain that the US isn't doing enough to get the hostages home.  What, exactly, is the government supposed to do without escalating the conflict and, potentially, violating civil rights?

Biden needs to show moral leadership and make public statements condemning the antisemitism. He seems more concerned with winning the muslin vote in Michigan than taking the moral high ground. This is a time for moral leadership from public officials. The leftists radicals are starting to look like the Hitler Brown Shirts with their attacks on Jews. Maybe you should read the following links?

Eisenhower Asks Congress and Press to Witness Nazi Horrors
    https://newspapers.ushmm.org/events/eisenhower-asks-congress-and-press-to-witness-nazi-horrors

https://www.c-span.org/video/?510536-2/dwight-d-eisenhower-holocaust

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 10:21:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Biden needs to show moral leadership and make public statements condemning the antisemitism. He seems more concerned with winning the muslin vote in Michigan than taking the moral high ground. This is a time for moral leadership from public officials. The leftists radicals are starting to look like the Hitler Brown Shirts with their attacks on Jews. Maybe you should read the following links?

Eisenhower Asks Congress and Press to Witness Nazi Horrors
    https://newspapers.ushmm.org/events/eisenhower-asks-congress-and-press-to-witness-nazi-horrors

https://www.c-span.org/video/?510536-2/dwight-d-eisenhower-holocaust

I've heard him criticize, strongly, anti-Semitic rhetoric coming from the protesters (and others).  He also has criticized those that "don't understand what's going on with the Palestinian people" which I took as a jab at the Israeli prosecution of the war and its affect on regular, non-Hamas Palestinians.   If you think he should be stronger in his speech I would agree, but he certainly has had a lot to say about the issue.  What he has not done is go to a university for a photo op to criticize and call for the resignation of the president of that university with little understanding about what goes on in a college campus.

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 10:21:46 AM »