Author Topic: UCF's potential new stadium "giant erector set"  (Read 1764 times)

Offline W0lfman

UCF's potential new stadium "giant erector set"
« on: January 27, 2005, 10:47:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    But a half-dozen stadium design and construction officials interviewed by the Sentinel -- many of whom requested anonymity, citing possible future involvement and the need to protect relations -- say the facility could resemble a giant Erector set with colored seats.

The experts suggest UCF might have to settle for a bare-bones structure, one with no concourses, little shading, a limited number of luxury boxes, little premium seating, and no-frills locker rooms and other facilities.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/orl-asecstadium27012705jan27,0,4781967.story?coll=tf-main-sports

HerdFans.com

« on: January 27, 2005, 10:47:41 AM »

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:05:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope that UCF can get it done! Although it may not be their dream stadium, it will be the on campus stadium they've wanted!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline HerdChemist89

• All American
    « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:06:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks Wolf-

I'll be posting this little nugget on the CUSA board.

:twisted:
    "For years we realized we needed an indoor practice facility," Pastilong said. "Former Gov. Caperton was sympathetic to our needs and enabled us with the financial assistance to carry out this project."
    "We're going to monitor that car more closely," said Pastilong, who previous said the football staff had used the car for errands. "It's going to have a checkout sheet with an odometer reading and the purpose for using it."

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:18:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its from the same construction co. that done our last upgrade. Our last upgrade wasn't done right I don't think so. It's very uneven. If a whole stadium is done that way it would look awful.

Offline murox

• Varsity
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:11:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally believe our last expansion was bush league and doesn't even remotely resemble the rest of the stadium.  The main part of the stadium is a concrete structure and the addition is crappy aluminum and steel.  Looks like crap, just as our IPF is going to look.

I hate to sound like a cock, but why can't we ever seem to do things right?  It seems like we half-ass everything.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 12:27:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When I heard about our last expansion I heard that same company was doing it that did UK's so I expected it to look like UK's.  It does some but the way the top is uneven makes it look weird.  I still like the way it looks as compared to how it looked before the expansion.  

Go to www.UKathletics.com and the football link.  There look at UK's closed in endzones.  Believe it or not but that is the same material that we used.  They just made Commonwealth even around the top with Skyboxes ontop.  They have really nice facilities including an indoor practice facility like the Herd needs.  MU should have closed their endzone in like UK's but minus the skyboxes.  Maybe in the future that could have been done.

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How would UCF's proposed stadium differ from Ladd-Peebles in Mobile? Is that stadium not a steel structure?

I personally believe our last expansion was bush league and doesn't even remotely resemble the rest of the stadium. The main part of the stadium is a concrete structure and the addition is crappy aluminum and steel. Looks like crap, just as our IPF is going to look.

I think a lot of people have been dissapointed in the eye appeal of the new addition. I thought if they would have at least made it uniform all the way around it would have been better. But when you have the budget of Marshall, you have to do with what you have and make the most of it.  I know some say they couldn't because of the scoreboard, and that is a different discussion altoghter!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline Max

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 05:51:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why doesn't UCF  go across town and get Walt Disney to drop a few dimes on the project.  "Goofy Stadium" has a good ring to it.

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 07:26:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At $2,500 to $3,000 per seat, it would cost $100 million to $120 million to replace the Joan.

Offline HERDUSA

• Rookie
    « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 08:52:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully this is not the company that screwed up in the measurements for our seats ..knowing UCF and how most things have worked out there with football they will end up sitting on portable bleachers with Porta Johns under them..no wait that was Fairfield..anywho if its got anything to do at all with UCF it will be a train wreck for sure.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 08:52:34 PM »