Author Topic: MU's Smith says national search wasn't needed for D'Antoni's replacement  (Read 1195 times)

Offline miltonherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, BS let DD pick his successor after all!

"We're confident that under his leadership our basketball program will continue to thrive and achieve new heights of success." -- BS

CONTINUE to thrive?!  😂  I wasn't aware we were thriving to begin with!

https://wvmetronews.com/2024/04/01/mus-smith-says-national-search-wasnt-needed-for-dantonis-replacement-because-jackson-was-coach-in-waiting/
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 05:37:08 PM by miltonherdfan »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mu79grad

HerdFans.com

Offline herd2win

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is no way to run an athletic department.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, mu79grad, miltonherdfan

Online luvherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Major donor %^&* happening IMO.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Rockin Herd Fan

Offline herdman22

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's done. Like it or not. Let's support Corny and give him a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm all for supporting Corny and think there's some reason for optimism about his upside, but man, if he doesn't work out, this is the kind of decision that warrants firing everybody in a place of power in the athletic department.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, miltonherdfan

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First of all, I hope CJ does well and is successful.

What concerns me is that CJ has been working for Dan who was not capable of running a serious mid major D1 program. CJ other stops are less than impressive; WVSC; UT Martin and Cleveland State. His apprenticeship in college coaching is not very good and I am concerned if he knows how to run a mid major program. I always thought you learned how to be a good college basketball coach by working for great coaches. 

Here is a quotation about CJ hiring from a rival's message board. It appears to be a good observation.
    "Marshall cares way more about the football program than they do basketball. If they were hiring a new football coach, they would do much better than that small salary."

I am hoping Smith is just trying to appease the donors that support Dan. Letting Dan pick his successor is mind blowing. Dan was not very good at attracting good assistants which is telling. Maybe good assistants were not interested working for a coach who was just a high school coach? Time will tell if Smith is serious about athletics ie basketball.

Again, I hope CJ is successful. I hope I am wrong in my thoughts.
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 08:11:32 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to give CJ a chance. Who knows, he could be the next Gregg Marshall or Kevin Keats. I wouldn't worry about Corny just because he was on Danny's staff. He is his own person and didn't agree with Danny on a lot of things. But knew his role as an assistant. Watch and see if he doesn't bring in athletes that are quick and explosive. The days of slow projects that nobody else recruited are over.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, ru4mu2

Offline herdly4

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel that Spears hands were tied. If you read between the lines he was not totally supportive of DD and wanted some changes. This is a purely political move in hopes of not offending Danny more than he already was by firing him. I understand his name was Dantoni but in a true meritocracy, I?m  not sure why everyone was so worried about  the feelings of an underperforming coach.  I hope Corny does well but he?s going to have to break away from his mentor if he wants to get better.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Always THE HERD, ru4mu2, herdfifteen, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel that Spears hands were tied. If you read between the lines he was not totally supportive of DD and wanted some changes. This is a purely political move in hopes of not offending Danny more than he already was by firing him. I understand his name was Dantoni but in a true meritocracy, I?m  not sure why everyone was so worried about  the feelings of an underperforming coach.  I hope Corny does well but he?s going to have to break away from his mentor if he wants to get better.

Corny will be his own guy. Whether that is good or bad is yet to be seen. But I have no worries about Danny influencing him in any way. Corny knows this is his shot and he will succeed or fail on his own.

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Corny will be his own guy. Whether that is good or bad is yet to be seen. But I have no worries about Danny influencing him in any way. Corny knows this is his shot and he will succeed or fail on his own.

I respect your opinion and I hope you are correct. I think we will know if CJ is his own man with his roster management. I don't expect to get rid of all of the pine riders because most college teams have a couple of players who are non contributors on the team. (I doubt if gets rid of Pruett for obvious reasons). I will give him two years to do a makeover of the roster.

This is Corny's chance and hopefully he will make the most of it. We should know by the end of year two if he is successful?
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 08:25:14 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline yogiherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I dont think DD was Corny's mentor; just the HC that Corny worked for. I think Corny's mentor was Greg White as Corny has stated several times Greg told him the way to get his name out to the coaching circles during his days playing for the Herd. And Corny stayed in touch with GW over the years. Corny will try to land the ballers to win for him.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: GreenSteve, goherd73, ru4mu2, wlf

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dont think DD was Corny's mentor; just the HC that Corny worked for. I think Corny's mentor was Greg White as Corny has stated several times Greg told him the way to get his name out to the coaching circles during his days playing for the Herd. And Corny stayed in touch with GW over the years. Corny will try to land the ballers to win for him.

I hope you are correct. I wonder if Greg is going to help Corny since he was one of his former players? Greg is well respected in the coaching profession.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:49:18 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

Offline elginherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Back to Brad Smith's premise... we'll find out in the next 20 months or so.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mind blowing hire

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline mu79grad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where is Christian Spears in all of this?  Didn't President Smith hire an athletic director to run the athletic department, including firing/hiring the basketball coach?

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears wanted Dan fired. Brad was a DD fan until his disrespectful meltdown in their meeting. This is a way to appease the donors and keep things from getting messy like if they'd fired DD and the staff. Too bad donors have too much say at Marshall. Jmo
    I am not high on the hire and have strong doubts, but we'll give Corny 3 years to prove his worth. Hope he tears it up and wins the Belt!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, herdfifteen, miltonherdfan

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Most HC that win get a lot of winning ways from their excellent assistants.  Marshall has been losing and beating just avg to below avg teams for years.  Losing to them as much.

Online MUfan08

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

In the Corney interview from 7 months ago, he said he had not met Dan before until 2017 when he was the assistant coach for Cleveland State and they played Marshall that year.

Sounds like he took a lot from Greg White and Bryan Poore (longtime coach at WVSU who brought Corney into coaching there) and considered them mentors.

Offline Always THE HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to give CJ a chance. Who knows, he could be the next Gregg Marshall or Kevin Keats. I wouldn't worry about Corny just because he was on Danny's staff. He is his own person and didn't agree with Danny on a lot of things. But knew his role as an assistant. Watch and see if he doesn't bring in athletes that are quick and explosive. The days of slow projects that nobody else recruited are over.
    And you know all of this how?

Offline Always THE HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears wanted Dan fired. Brad was a DD fan until his disrespectful meltdown in their meeting. This is a way to appease the donors and keep things from getting messy like if they'd fired DD and the staff. Too bad donors have too much say at Marshall. Jmo
    I am not high on the hire and have strong doubts, but we'll give Corny 3 years to prove his worth. Hope he tears it up and wins the Belt!
    I read this type of comment multiple times on this site regarding "disrespectful meltdown in their meeting" & other comments too. How and who are you hearing this from? How are we to know if that is true or not?

Offline BigJimslade

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, BS let DD pick his successor after all!

"We're confident that under his leadership our basketball program will continue to thrive and achieve new heights of success." -- BS

CONTINUE to thrive?!  😂  I wasn't aware we were thriving to begin with!

https://wvmetronews.com/2024/04/01/mus-smith-says-national-search-wasnt-needed-for-dantonis-replacement-because-jackson-was-coach-in-waiting/

Just a total gaslighting comment from BS that is full of BS

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read this type of comment multiple times on this site regarding "disrespectful meltdown in their meeting" & other comments too. How and who are you hearing this from? How are we to know if that is true or not?
    [/quot

It's been reported by numerous posters on multiple boards. Why is it so important at this point? What's done is done. Dan didn't take his buyout either. I assume that's another reason we hired Corny. He likely told Smith, he would waive the buyout if we hired Corny as HC. It all comes down to money and keeping the right people happy. Jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Offline miltonherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • another article in today's HD, no new info in it really other than fact that CS confirmed there was no buyout paid to DD

Offline Always THE HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read this type of comment multiple times on this site regarding "disrespectful meltdown in their meeting" & other comments too. How and who are you hearing this from? How are we to know if that is true or not?
    [/quot

It's been reported by numerous posters on multiple boards. Why is it so important at this point? What's done is done. Dan didn't take his buyout either. I assume that's another reason we hired Corny. He likely told Smith, he would waive the buyout if we hired Corny as HC. It all comes down to money and keeping the right people happy. Jmo
    Yes, just "your" (JMO).

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This was all politics.  IMO, the only way they could oust DD and not lose the support of some big donors, was to promote CJ.  If Marshall was a big institution awash with money, then BS and CS could have done a national search for DD's replacement, but when every nickel counts, you end up with what we have here.  It is not optimum, but until CJ proves he's not capable of doing the job, I will support him.  Now BS and CS are having to go out to the media and put a good face on it, when we all know how it probably went down. 

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

HerdFans.com