Author Topic: A couple thoughts on JMU's win over Wisconsin.  (Read 597 times)

Online elginherd

A couple thoughts on JMU's win over Wisconsin.
« on: March 23, 2024, 01:14:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU was more talented 1-9 than UW.

The Herd has only one player who might, and only might, get PT if he was on JMU's roster. That'd be OAK and he'd be questionable because of his frequent demonstration of fumble-fingers.

I might watch at least part of this game more carefully, but it seemed casually watching that JMU played primarily man, but frequently changed up the coverage rules. UW really didn't get comfortable running their offense for about 3/4 of the game.

The top of the SBC is pretty strong.
    Unfortunately, the Herd is in the great unwashed lower cast.
    That's nearly the case in FB, too. (Please don't start the DD vs Huff comparisons again.)

The frequent arguments presented on here about needing only a couple of players to be able to compete isn't true, unless one of them is a threat to be selected in the first round.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUinDE, ThunderValley, wlf

HerdFans.com

A couple thoughts on JMU's win over Wisconsin.
    « on: March 23, 2024, 01:14:25 PM »

Online herd1990

Re: A couple thoughts on JMU's win over Wisconsin.
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 02:25:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember when Dantoni was hesitant to join the SBC because it was a weaker conference 😂😂😂?  He should be thankful we are in a weak conference otherwise his D2 roster would go about 4-27 against a good mid major conference.  And those 4 wins would be Bluefield St and a few other patsies.
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 09:05:42 PM by herd1990 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, MUinDE, herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 02:48:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can Corny get us in the upper half of the league? Guess we'll find out.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 03:20:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys let?s just have fun because if you ask DD he would vote Democrat

Online herd1990

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 03:27:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can Corny get us in the upper half of the league? Guess we'll find out.

I hope a whole new staff comes in after the Dinosaur retires.  100% clean slate.

Online herdman22

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 06:20:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

The Herd has only one player who might, and only might, get PT if he was on JMU's roster. That'd be OAK and he'd be questionable because of his frequent demonstration of fumble-fingers.

I might watch at least part of this game more carefully, but it seemed casually watching that JMU played primarily man, but frequently changed up the coverage rules. UW really didn't get comfortable running their offense for about 3/4 of the game.

That's nearly the case in FB, too. (Please don't start the DD vs Huff comparisons again.)

The frequent arguments presented on here about needing only a couple of players to be able to compete isn't true, unless one of them is a threat to be selected in the first round.
    I don't want to start the comparison but the difference I see right now is Huff was willing to make some changes and admit what he was trying wasn't working. I really hope we see improvement this fall. There is at least some hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 06:54:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If you look at it objectively, the SBC has 14 teams and only two of the teams were in top 100 of The NET JMU #52 and Appy at #72 (Appy lost to Wake Forest in the first round of the NIT 87-76) and the next ranked is Troy at #137. In reality it it is a weak overall league except for one team. JMU will play Duke a 4# seed tomorrow so we will know JMU's position in the food chain.
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

There is no reason for Marshall not to be one of the top teams in the SBC, if they had a good coach. The SBC is just another low mid major one bid basketball conference.

And yes, three very good players would make Marshall capable of wining the SBC. Just look to last year in the SBC; as poor of a coach as Dan is, he almost won the SBC with three good players. Coaching does matter, though. The SBC doesn't have a lot of very good players.

You do need depth to play in The Big Dance. This is why Dan's delusion of having an Iron Man Five team so outdated. JMU has good talent and depth, but they also have a very good coach who knows to use his players and makes adjustments. Again, coaching matters.
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:26:44 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 07:16:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sad that in the History of Marshall sports we've never had a year like JMU has had this year in both major sports.

Find myself saying this more and more about startups and newbies to FBS...I hope one day we'll be as successful as they (the start ups and newbies) are (but I honestly don't think it will ever happen). JMU is lightyears ahead of us. Campus, programs, drive, vision, want to, know how...and on and on. We aren't just falling behind the big boys...the little boys are blowing by us like we are broke down on the autobahn.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdorbust2

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 08:14:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sad that in the History of Marshall sports we've never had a year like JMU has had this year in both major sports.

Find myself saying this more and more about startups and newbies to FBS...I hope one day we'll be as successful as they (the start ups and newbies) are (but I honestly don't think it will ever happen). JMU is lightyears ahead of us. Campus, programs, drive, vision, want to, know how...and on and on. We aren't just falling behind the big boys...the little boys are blowing by us like we are broke down on the autobahn.

Because MU always does it the lazy way and keeps it in the good ol' boys group. If they have to develop new agendas to keep up forget that--the go the easiest and less work way.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, Flat Tire 2, herdfifteen, THECHAMPISHERE, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 09:41:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Because MU always does it the lazy way and keeps it in the good ol' boys group. If they have to develop new agendas to keep up forget that--the go the easiest and less work way.

You are exactly right. That sums it up perfectly.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online wlf

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 03:40:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Worth repeating and so is the first post. Overmatched everywhere.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 03:40:30 PM »