Author Topic: Do you think Brad Smith knows MU Basketball History?  (Read 967 times)

Offline FilmJunky

Re: Do you think Brad Smith knows MU Basketball History?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2024, 11:33:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sports bring the most recognition to a university.  That is why Colorado has gained enrollment, Alabama grew under Saban, Georgia is now super difficult to get in to.  Successful sports benefit a university greatly.

Colorado gained enrollment because kids can smoke grass legally

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2024, 11:33:58 AM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2024, 12:02:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me preface my comments by saying that I am 54 years old. I don't want some of what I say to be taken out of context. But unfortunately I feel we have a split fanbase. I believe there is an older generation of supporters that loves Dan. I get that. But to me, wins, to that crowd, are not as important. What is important to them is that they feel like they are a part of the program. They are allowed to attend practices. They are allowed to mingle with the players. And many of them have a close relationship with Dan. I hate to put it this way but I strongly feel that they live vicariously through the men's basketball program and that is good enough for them.

On the other hand, we have an older generation, a middle-aged generation and a younger generation that can see that too many of the necessary qualities that a winning program needs to have is completely lacking. Recruiting has become an absolute joke recently. We hear things from the other crowd that this is "the most speed Dan has ever had". I never saw it. Many on my side of the coin see a roster that is full of players that have little athletic ability at the Division 1 level or have little to no basketball qualities needed to win at this level. There is also never any change in plans like 99% of the coaches do throughout the course of the season. I have to ask......did any one see any change in our defense all year??? The lack of fundamentals is bad too. As much time now that NCAA coaches have to work with players throughout the course of a 365-day year, I would think the fundamentals of the game for us would be much better. I actually think the fundamental part of the game and the player development part of the game gets much worse for Marshall players the longer they are here. There are a few exceptions.....Kinsey. But for the most part I see too much player regression.

I think most Marshall fans right now want a go-getter as a coach. We just don't have that. We have a coach that is.....well.....very laid back and comfortable in his position. Most coaches in America don't have that luxury. You can say what you want about Coach Caldwell.....her style, her game planning, etc.......fine......but no one can deny she is a real go-getter. I think most of our fans really like that. Many of us have become more attached to her program, not just because they win, but because she is the anti-Dan style of coach. She is not laid back. She seems to really have precision to detail. Player motivation is very strong.

I am worried that we play too much to those that have an overwhelming affection to the '50s, '60s and '70s. I didn't say it wasn't important to remember those eras. But younger fans want to see ballers, athletes and a little bit of flair to the program. I just think the longer this goes then we will appease those Dan fans of the older generation. But I truly think we write off a younger generation with that. I think the longer this continues, the more interest in the program will evaporate. I, for one, am giving up my season tickets and financial support for this program that I have given since the early 90s. I can't take Dan's approach to recruiting and roster management any longer. I just flat out think it is laziness and a good portion is that we really tries to not recruit metro style players.....if you get my drift. I hate giving up tickets because I like a lot of the people that I sat around for years. A lot of them were older fans and were pretty dissatisfied by the end of the season. Yes I know most of the crowds were good. But there was little enthusiasm in the building and that really worries me.

I say Bull S-th to your characterization of the "older fan" support of DD.  I'm closer to my 73rd than I am to my 72nd birthday and I want DD's head on a pike at this point.  Indeed when DD was hired I was all for him and his initial years were good and I supported him.  Prior to three years ago I was ready for him to go and starting with three years ago, I've been totally in favor of dumping him.

For the life of me I can't understand why the administration keeps him.  They have witnessed the support for the soccer team explode.  They have seen fans flock to Kim and the WBB team.  Why they can't see that support for the MBB team will explode with success is beyond me.  There is no excuse for keeping beyond this year.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2024, 12:11:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say Bull S-th to your characterization of the "older fan" support of DD.  I'm closer to my 73rd than I am to my 72nd birthday and I want DD's head on a pike at this point.  Indeed when DD was hired I was all for him and his initial years were good and I supported him.  Prior to three years ago I was ready for him to go and starting with three years ago, I've been totally in favor of dumping him.

For the life of me I can't understand why the administration keeps him.  They have witnessed the support for the soccer team explode.  They have seen fans flock to Kim and the WBB team.  Why they can't see that support for the MBB team will explode with success is beyond me.  There is no excuse for keeping beyond this year.

Did you even read my second paragraph....first sentence....or did you automatically jump to assumptions?

I said there were two parts to our fanbase: (1) an older generation that is attached to Dan and clearly in the 2nd paragraph.....(2) a mix of older generation, middle-aged generation and younger generation that are done with Dan.

Offline whf

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2024, 12:33:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People often talk about the Marshall basketball history, but if you take out the '66-'73 time period and a little excitement around the Huck years, Marshall has been very pedestrian in basketball its entire history.  The years when we'd be seriously considered for a top 25 spot anytime in the year are few/far between and a long time ago.
    You are, of course, correct when it comes to winning and losing, but the history includes the fan support, excitement of the team, etc.  We HAD IT, and now not so much.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2024, 02:49:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The distinction wasn't profound then as it was now.  The simple fact is that in the 30's-50s era, Marshall produced some of the best basketball players of the era.  Andy Tonkovich was a #1 overall draft pick in the second ever NBA Draft.  He's rarely talked about now, but Leo Byrd was legit one of the best guards in the country during his era, a consensus All-American and earned a spot on Team USA.  And of course his teammate was Hal Greer - one of the best pros ever.  Throw in people like Charlie Slack, winning the LA Invitation over the likes of UCLA and Syracuse, etc, and I'd argue there's few teams outside of the true-blue bloods or national title winners that have an era like that.  And that's not even talking about the late 60s - early 70s era with Russ Lee, the NIT teams, the #8 ranked team, etc.  Marshall basketball history was a shiny little penny until the fallout of the sanctions of the late 80's and the 30 year-drought that followed.  We have an overall basketball history we should be extremely proud to represent.

Not AS profound, but still a difference.  I have no doubt that Marshall could compete nationally when Cam and Jule were coaching, but it wasn't in the upper echelon of basketball to get the recognition. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2024, 02:56:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Brad and DD are close friends and I also believe Brad is one of the big donors to the bb program.  Could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2024, 03:41:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Brad and DD are close friends and I also believe Brad is one of the big donors to the bb program.  Could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

During the last home game on the pre and post game, Dan was calling out boosters that support the program and included Brad and Alys in the same group as Marshall Reynolds, Scaggs, etc.

If he was talking about administration support, figure he would have thrown Spears in there, but did not.

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2024, 04:23:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Brad was in school when Huck was coaching so Im sure he knows the type of crowds we got back in those days
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 05:26:23 PM by gtrman4herd »
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2024, 04:37:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The distinction wasn't profound then as it was now.  The simple fact is that in the 30's-50s era, Marshall produced some of the best basketball players of the era.  Andy Tonkovich was a #1 overall draft pick in the second ever NBA Draft.  He's rarely talked about now, but Leo Byrd was legit one of the best guards in the country during his era, a consensus All-American and earned a spot on Team USA.  And of course his teammate was Hal Greer - one of the best pros ever.  Throw in people like Charlie Slack, winning the LA Invitation over the likes of UCLA and Syracuse, etc, and I'd argue there's few teams outside of the true-blue bloods or national title winners that have an era like that.  And that's not even talking about the late 60s - early 70s era with Russ Lee, the NIT teams, the #8 ranked team, etc.  Marshall basketball history was a shiny little penny until the fallout of the sanctions of the late 80's and the 30 year-drought that followed.  We have an overall basketball history we should be extremely proud to represent.

Great information and why not us for a new future building even the business opportunity?s becoming available.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2024, 07:10:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not AS profound, but still a difference.  I have no doubt that Marshall could compete nationally when Cam and Jule were coaching, but it wasn't in the upper echelon of basketball to get the recognition.

1938; just so happens to be the same year. Same era...WVU used her powers via her law school = WV legislature to prevent Marshall from using her rightly deserved University designation until 1961...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2024, 07:10:13 PM »