Author Topic: Cam Crawford Portal  (Read 2541 times)

Offline MUther

Re: Cam Crawford Portal
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2024, 10:04:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So Danny recruited a player he knew was flawed (as evidenced by the fact he could barely get on the floor on a mediocre Indiana State team), put him in the doghouse because of his flaws, did nothing in the way of developing or correcting him, and now he's gone.  Bang up job all around.

Makes e wonder more and more if Mike didn't drop him off here to get him out of his hair.  I mean he couldn't have gotten by with his infatuation on fixing everyone and giving them a chance, in the NBA, with millions on the line.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2024, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2024, 10:10:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Erratic, sure, but the only player on the team besides Voyles that could get his shot whenever the "offense" broke down.  Lots of potential, but I don't blame him for leaving the way that he was yo-yo'd in and out of the lineup.

agree.  either way though, he probably wasn't going to make or break this team, unless he were to have a breakout year, and he might do that for another team.  like i said before and most might disagree- i thought he and Nutter had the most upside of those players not getting a large chunk of minutes.

i suppose there's always a chance Harding or Moore jump ship and being true FR it probably wouldn't matter.

Killen
    Martin
    Conner
    Fricks
    Nutter
    Pruett
    Harding
    Moore

if anybody else stays i think we're doomed- we need a lot of transfers out and in

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2024, 10:37:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally feel (and have expressed it many times here) Crawford could have been a very good player. The way I see it, Curfman was the problem with our starting five. He always seemed to me as if he wanted to be the point guard (always dribble, dribble & did I say dribble, took too much time trying to find someone open, often had bad shooting days, had the ball stolen from him quite often, etc.). I feel if Connor could have been our true PG and Curfman replaced by Crawford in the lineup we would have been much better off. Curfman could have come off the bench when we needed a three really bad & sometimes substitute for Crawford. Fricks could sub for Voles (sp?) & Nutter sub for Connor. Hey, it's just my opinion ok?

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2024, 10:53:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally feel (and have expressed it many times here) Crawford could have been a very good player. The way I see it, Curfman was the problem with our starting five. He always seemed to me as if he wanted to be the point guard (always dribble, dribble & did I say dribble, took too much time trying to find someone open, often had bad shooting days, had the ball stolen from him quite often, etc.). I feel if Connor could have been our true PG and Curfman replaced by Crawford in the lineup we would have been much better off. Curfman could have come off the bench when we needed a three really bad & sometimes substitute for Crawford. Fricks could sub for Voles (sp?) & Nutter sub for Connor. Hey, it's just my opinion ok?

What is your beef and keep blaming Curfman?

Dan is the one that had him at PG at the beginning of the year even though he cannot create for himself or others on offense and was picked on during the defensive side because we continued to switch and he was getting posted down low typically by a forward or center.

Dan is the one that wants Conner to be the PG even though he is not a PG (being in that position he is slow and timid). Every time he got the ball he was passing that off quicker than a hot potato to Curfman and wanted to spot up at the corner for a three.

Dan even mentioned during a post game those two were not doing what he told them to do...so instead of benching them and talking to them on the side of expectations Dan just stood there like a statue and blame them with the media after the game.

Neither one are pg  (Conner is a long 3 that can dribble and is coordinated and Curfman is a spot shooter), but there is Dan trying to fit a square beg in a round hole because of his terrible recruiting, roster management and coaching his team on expectations of their role.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 11:15:24 AM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2, wlf, coalherd, herdorbust2

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2024, 11:20:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is your beef and keep blaming Curfman?

Dan is the one that had him at PG at the beginning of the year even though he cannot create for himself or others on offense and was picked on during the defensive side because we continued to switch and he was getting posted down low typically by a forward or center.

Dan is the one that wants Conner to be the PG even though he is not a PG (being in that position he is slow and timid). Every time he got the ball he was passing that off quicker than a hot potato to Curfman and wanted to spot up at the corner for a three.

Dan even mentioned during a post game those two were not doing what he told them to do...so instead of benching them and talking to them on the side of expectations Dan just stood there like a statue and blame them with the media after the game.

Neither one are pg  (Conner is a long 3 that can dribble and is coordinated and Curfman is a spot shooter), but there is Dan trying to fit a square beg in a round hole because of his terrible recruiting, roster management and coaching his team on expectations of their role.
    I have no beef at all with Curfman. He's just not a point guard and should NOT start BUT should come off the bench as often as is needed to throw defenses off with his 3-point shooting. I also feel that when he is in the game with Conner that Conner loses track of his role & may feel intimidated by Curfman. I am aware of what DD did at the beginning, mid & end of season.

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2024, 11:29:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He still has his PLANNED starting team...

Nutter
    Obinna
    Conner
    Fricks
    Martin                                 

Geez!!!!!

F'ing hell. That is a terrible lineup. OAK the only one worth a damn. Martin would be fine coming off the bench and getting decent minutes. The other three belong in a lower division.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #56 on: March 15, 2024, 11:56:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • F'ing hell. That is a terrible lineup. OAK the only one worth a damn. Martin would be fine coming off the bench and getting decent minutes. The other three belong in a lower division.

Don't worry DD will coach them up and we will win a Sun Belt title

LMAO

Offline svherd

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2024, 12:59:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Martin pretty much carried us all year. The most consistent for sure. I will be shocked if he stays.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, wlf, miltonherdfan, HerdFan1114, GreenWhite

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2024, 01:01:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Martin pretty much carried us all year. The most consistent for sure. I will be shocked if he stays.
    I agree. He averaged a double-double for the season. I think his defense would have been better if we had not played that stupid switch defense that left him on a guard.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, svherd, wlf

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2024, 01:02:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't worry DD will coach them up and we will win a Sun Belt title

LMAO
    If not, at least they will have fun.

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #60 on: March 15, 2024, 01:45:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If not, at least they will have fun.

Just like buddy basketball

Nice

🤣🤣🤣

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2024, 02:42:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree. He averaged a double-double for the season. I think his defense would have been better if we had not played that stupid switch defense that left him on a guard.

Can say that  universally we would have done better without that switch crap.

Learn to play a zone or coach in how to support or roll over if a teammate is struggling.

Crap that was learned in middle school. Ole Coach Allen and Toney at barboursville taught the basics that would cause confusion with this coaching staff.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2024, 02:42:45 PM »

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2024, 03:14:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toussaint now in the portal too.  That makes four scholarships to build something around Martin and Obinna

Offline scope58

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2024, 03:28:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toussaint now in the portal too.  That makes four scholarships to build something around Martin and Obinna
    Who is gonna make that effort to recruit those players  Mr. Hensley . Because Dantoni is not going to make the effort you need to get better players in here. Plus he knows he?s here two more years regardless.Two more years to totally crash the program.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2024, 03:38:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our portal guys will go down a division or two.  Rough roster.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2024, 04:16:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No big surprised on the players leaving, it has been rumored since the beginning of the season. Based on past recruiting, nothing will improve. Martin was a decent pickup but not an all conference pick. I just don't think the talent level will increase enough to make Marshall a challenger for the league championship. Plus Dan is coaching challenged.

To prove my point on the poor talent level with Marshall basketball, take a look at the SBC all conference picks. Twenty-three players and one coach received awards, none of them are Marshall players or coach.
    https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2024/3/4/sun-belt-announces-2023-24-mens-basketball-postseason-awards-all-conference-teams.aspx
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 04:53:36 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Online herdman22

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2024, 08:36:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can say that  universally we would have done better without that switch crap.

Learn to play a zone or coach in how to support or roll over if a teammate is struggling.

Crap that was learned in middle school. Ole Coach Allen and Toney at barboursville taught the basics that would cause confusion with this coaching staff.

Coach Toney was a great guy. He and Mr Rone were the best.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2024, 08:59:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can say that  universally we would have done better without that switch crap.

Switching is a great tool to have in the toolbox.
    The problem is when it's about the only tool in that toolbox.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2024, 09:07:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, Dan tries to play an NBA style of play on offense/defense with D2 level players. Also he puts square pegs in round holes with playing players at the wrong positions. One you think a guy who spent nearly his entire career at high school level coach would be a "teaching" coach who could develop talent.
    Not!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, wlf

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2024, 09:12:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nutter is the starting and Braun is the backup? LOL

Offline Source03

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2024, 09:57:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If DD is keep than all assistant coaches should be released and a new staff brought in. Cline is so over the hill he should have been released 5 years ago. They are what really make the head coach a good one. The person who is our head recruiter should have been firecd 2 years ago and our strength coach fired also. 

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #71 on: March 16, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nutter is the starting and Braun is the backup? LOL

5-10 wins

🤣🤣🤣

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline wlf

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2024, 10:43:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, Dan tries to play an NBA style of play on offense/defense with D2 level players. Also he puts square pegs in round holes with playing players at the wrong positions.

^ This has been the problem all along.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2024, 11:20:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Switching is a great tool to have in the toolbox.
    The problem is when it's about the only tool in that toolbox.
    Yep, Dan tries to play an NBA style of play on offense/defense with D2 level players. Also he puts square pegs in round holes with playing players at the wrong positions. One you think a guy who spent nearly his entire career at high school level coach would be a "teaching" coach who could develop talent.
    Not!

good points-
    basically it's like anything you do in life that has multiple components.  you have to have a majority of those components or make the majority of those components work in order to even have a chance at overall success.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, elginherd

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2024, 03:24:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Tim, a lost pal of yours from Bluefield told me to tell you to just say no and to please go to rehab for D'Antoni addiction. He sends his regards.
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:32:17 PM by Ovaltine Jenkins »

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, mubowhunter

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2024, 03:24:38 PM »