Author Topic: How come no ?statement? released?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline MIA

Re: How come no ?statement? released?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 01:45:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Enjoy seeing the response's, thought out.
    I said in the original post the lack of a statement was either driven by Old Main, Spears doesn?t think there is a problem, or could care less about basketball. I also put in racially motivated. I hate to think this is the case, but here are the facts.  Basketball and volleyball, (7-20 in the SBC last 2 years, .462 win pct overall), have under performed and unless I missed it no public statements. Both coaches are white. Football has a 500 season, (I never Count bowls anymore due to massive opt outs everywhere), and what amounts to a public warning shot is sent out to the masses, the hardest schedule in MU history is put into place. Are they setting up a person to fail? Data is data.  Do I think this is the case? No. Outside optics could make the case though. IMO, it?s favoritism and hypocrisy to the extreme.

To the poster who turned down the invite from the foundation.  Good for you. The leaders at MU from the Pres to AD are the caretakers of the univ. Even though there have been advancements at the university level in some areas, decesions and actions or non actions, show you a persons decision making process and their flaws. So can you trust those caretakers to make competent decesions for the good of the school? Or they only do it some of the time, when it benefits themselves. So when they ask you to donate, ask yourself are they worthy caretakers of the univ or are they taking the easy route. Leadership is hard. Doing the right thing is not. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 01:45:36 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 01:53:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • President Smith is having an overall very positive influence on Marshall that should last for decades.  I have learned that it is not who is right or wrong but who has leverage.  Dan has leverage with support that starts in the governors office.

A statement was made about Huff as he was going into the last year of his contract and he had made a couple of challenging statements about MU and the Huntington area.

Offline MIA

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2024, 02:16:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Understand your point, but hasn?t DD said things in the press that has alienated people across the fan base or players? I am not here to debate what Huff or DD said as frankly none of it was offensive, foul, etc.  As for Smith yes he has done some great things for the Univ. But to be afraid of a BOG member or a lame duck gov who has enough issues on his own, I cannot understand that train of thought. He holds all the cards, as he can pack up a go home which makes who look bad? There is a performance problem, everyone sees it yet no one wants to do anything.  That is not leadership and you cannot be a leader part of the time or when it?s convenient.  No matter how many things you build.

Like I said in my opinion they are all hypocrites. If you can?t acknowledge the failure, then come out and say everything is good. Show some spine.  I prefer my caretakers to lead from the front not hide when decisions have to be made. 

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2024, 02:20:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with MIA, the optics of the situation is not good. Some can make excuses, but that doesn't change the appearance of the situation.   All the coaches should be held to the same standard and that doesn't appear to be happening.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, muherd34, herdorbust2

Offline herd2win

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2024, 02:52:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MIA makes some very good points.  How can you ask some to perform at a certain level and allow others to skate.  I just know that real life poses issues that are not always fair or make sense.

Dan should have never been hired and it was his connections to his brother that propelled that hire.  It is the family connections that kept him from being let go 2 years ago.

Not one person has been able to put forth a case for him to continue as our coach except his family.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain, herdfifteen, herdorbust2

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2024, 02:53:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree all coaches should be held to the same standard. My thought on Huff is that he has not befriended the right people to keep the pressure off him like D'Antoni.

Online svherd

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2024, 02:56:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When your brother donates big bucks, helps head up a fundraising campaign, you both were basketball legends, and your sister is on the BOG - that's a pretty powerful buffer zone you have.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #32 on: March 14, 2024, 04:25:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree all coaches should be held to the same standard. My thought on Huff is that he has not befriended the right people to keep the pressure off him like D'Antoni.

Let's be real

Fluff is hot garbage

It's not an either or deal........DD and Fluff both blow donkey and need to be put out ASAP

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2024, 05:00:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's be real

Fluff is hot garbage

It's not an either or deal........DD and Fluff both blow donkey and need to be put out ASAP

Go Herd!

Not disagreeing with you. Just my thought on why something was put out concerning Huff and nothing on D'Antoni.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2024, 05:02:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Too late for Mike.  But it should have happened long, long ago.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, Buffalo Bop, ed swain, miltonherdfan

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2024, 07:18:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At least Huff beat Notre Dame and Virginia Tech. Dan is running the program into the ground.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain, Flat Tire 2, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2024, 08:04:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's be real

Fluff is hot garbage

Go Herd!

Well at least Huff is recruiting and bringing in real talent from P5 schools. Dan only wants to go after kids nobody else recruits or transfers from VMI, Maryland Eastern Shore or Texas St. must be afraid to go up against any real competition.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2024, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2024, 08:19:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will admit that Martin & Voyles were good pickups. Nate averaged a double-double and Voyles played well during the conference portion of the schedule.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, MicDrass1

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2024, 08:42:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's be real

Fluff is hot garbage

Go Herd!

What's up with you and "blowing?" That seems to be your go to word or is it a predilection? Maybe you're "Fluff" and not Huff.
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 08:44:10 PM by Ovaltine Jenkins »

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #39 on: March 14, 2024, 08:51:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What's up with you and "blowing?" That seems to be your go to word or is it a predilection? Maybe you're "Fluff" and not Huff.

I told you I wasn't gonna escalate this man so let it go

Offline coalherd

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2024, 06:03:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This "herd Legacy" defense for keeping Dan is not a good argument, it is just BS. Marshall has fired MU grads who were our basketball coaches Jule Rivlin (Marshall first all American basketball player) and Greg White (Greg was just as good as a player as Dan). MU also fired football head coaches who were MU grads Herb Royer; Charlie Snyder, and Mark Snyder. While not a MU grad, Cam Henderson was forced out at the end of his career after having the football head coaching job taken away from him.

We all know why Dan is being retained. Marshall has sold themselves out for money donations when hiring other coaches. This is not the first time it has happened.

I accepted a phone call this morning from a rep from the MU Foundation offering to take me to lunch when he visits Florida later this month (at my age and zip code,I guess he wants me to make MU part of my estate). I told him that I realized he was fundraising on the academic side, but that I was very unhappy with keeping Dan as coach. He said he understood and brought up the WB program. I politely told him that I have a big problem giving money to the academic side when the MU administration is wasting money on the men's basketball coach who under performs and doesn't attend alumni functions. He acted like I am not the first to complain about Dan. I told him he should pass on my concerns to MU officials.

I told him I needed to cool down before I made a decision to meet with him. I said if we do meet; the lunch will be on me.

Hey FT2, if you want ME to get a part of your estate, LET ME KNOW!  And, yes, lunch can be on YOU too!

Offline bighat

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2024, 09:30:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We also got rid of Cam Henderson.  He was not a grad but significant firing.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2024, 09:32:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We also got rid of Cam Henderson.  He was not a grad but significant firing.

Coaches are hired to be fired.  How many have we had that, truly, got to go out the way they wanted?  I'd submit only the ones that moved "up".
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, MUonium

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2024, 10:43:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At the end of football season, AD Spears released a statement that read quote
    ?"Notwithstanding today's result, this entire season has not met the expectations we have for our football program. At Marshall, we honor our agreements, our commitments and we strive to meet and exceed our stated goals.
    Obviously, we all know that we have work to do. Coach Huff has committed to do that work and we will support the changes he has made and will continue to make. We are confident that, together, we can get back to championship-level football with Coach Huff as our Head Coach?

This was basically an acknowledgment that the football season was not successful to the public and put Coach Huff on notice that results matter. Why has not a similar statement been made about basketball, that this season was not acceptable, and that results matter?
    Is it Spears cannot issue this statement as he knows Old Main would not be happy? Is it he thinks this seasons bball results are ok? Is it racially motivated? Is it he doesn?t could care less about bball?

It just seems strange given the disaster of a season bball had vs football finishing regular season 6-6, which don?t get me wrong was not great but it wasn?t the failure bball was this past year.  If I am Huff, I am PO?d at the double standard. Please don?t make this an issue about Huff, that has been addressed. This is about a double standard and a Coach that has underperformed dramatically two out of the last three years, and an administration that seems to promote a double standard of accountability and hypocrisy. 

Thoughts?

Who says we are confident that we can return to championship level play with Coach Huff ?
    Not me
    Who are these confident people ?

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline ed swain

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2024, 12:24:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At least Huff does make a good effort to recruit!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2

Online Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2024, 12:53:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the old days, when a coach had years left on his contract, Marshall would "reassign" them within the AD as an assistant AD.  This would allow the coach to save face from being outright fired.  I believe that is what they did with Zuffelato. 

Offline herd2win

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2024, 10:15:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At this point although not surprised, Spears has not made any statement about Dan.  Are they thinking it was never in question for most fans?

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2024, 10:15:25 AM »

Offline HerdFan62

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2024, 10:35:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I too am wondering why we haven?t heard anything from Spears.  I sent him an email over a week ago saying it?s time for a new men?s basketball coach.  This is my first email to him, and I?ve received no response.  Does he usually not respond to emails?

Offline herd2win

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2024, 10:37:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I too am wondering why we haven?t heard anything from Spears.  I sent him an email over a week ago saying it?s time for a new men?s basketball coach.  This is my first email to him, and I?ve received no response.  Does he usually not respond to emails?

I have sent Mr. Spears a few emails both about football and basketball.  He had responded to most but has not responded to my email from last week after we lost.  I believe MU brass will just go on like nothing is a concern.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #49 on: March 18, 2024, 11:41:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Don't buy season tickets and don't give to Tip Off Club and tell them you won't come back until DD is gone

Only thing that matters is $$$

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2024, 11:41:47 AM »