Author Topic: How come no ?statement? released?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline MIA

How come no ?statement? released?
« on: March 14, 2024, 08:14:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At the end of football season, AD Spears released a statement that read quote
    ?"Notwithstanding today's result, this entire season has not met the expectations we have for our football program. At Marshall, we honor our agreements, our commitments and we strive to meet and exceed our stated goals.
    Obviously, we all know that we have work to do. Coach Huff has committed to do that work and we will support the changes he has made and will continue to make. We are confident that, together, we can get back to championship-level football with Coach Huff as our Head Coach?

This was basically an acknowledgment that the football season was not successful to the public and put Coach Huff on notice that results matter. Why has not a similar statement been made about basketball, that this season was not acceptable, and that results matter?
    Is it Spears cannot issue this statement as he knows Old Main would not be happy? Is it he thinks this seasons bball results are ok? Is it racially motivated? Is it he doesn?t could care less about bball?

It just seems strange given the disaster of a season bball had vs football finishing regular season 6-6, which don?t get me wrong was not great but it wasn?t the failure bball was this past year.  If I am Huff, I am PO?d at the double standard. Please don?t make this an issue about Huff, that has been addressed. This is about a double standard and a Coach that has underperformed dramatically two out of the last three years, and an administration that seems to promote a double standard of accountability and hypocrisy. 

Thoughts?

HerdFans.com

How come no ?statement? released?
    « on: March 14, 2024, 08:14:48 AM »

Online Always THE HERD

Re: How come no ?statement? released?
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel something should definitely be said.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 08:28:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    ?"Notwithstanding today's result, this entire season has not met the expectations we have for our football program. At Marshall, we honor our agreements, our commitments and we strive to meet and exceed our stated goals.
    Obviously, we all know that we have work to do. Coach Huff has committed to do that work and we will support the changes he has made and will continue to make. We are confident that, together, we can get back to championship-level football with Coach Huff as our Head Coach?

This was basically an acknowledgment that the football season was not successful to the public and put Coach Huff on notice that results matter. Why has not a similar statement been made about basketball, that this season was not acceptable, and that results matter?
    Is it Spears cannot issue this statement as he knows Old Main would not be happy? Is it he thinks this seasons bball results are ok? Is it racially motivated? Is it he doesn?t could care less about bball?

It just seems strange given the disaster of a season bball had vs football finishing regular season 6-6, which don?t get me wrong was not great but it wasn?t the failure bball was this past year.  If I am Huff, I am PO?d at the double standard. Please don?t make this an issue about Huff, that has been addressed. This is about a double standard and a Coach that has underperformed dramatically two out of the last three years, and an administration that seems to promote a double standard of accountability and hypocrisy. 

Thoughts?

Excellent post! You make a great point with the AD acknowledging the football team was not successful at finishing at .500. The basketball team just finished at .394 which as you stated is much bigger disaster than the football season. This situation deserves a statement from Marshall officials on the basketball team and what steps Marshall is going to take to improve the program.

If Marshall doesn't make a statement about the basketball team horrible performance, I agree there is a double standard. I must admit, I have concerns over the makeup of the basketball team.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 08:34:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thoughts?

I won't add any thing further. Good post. The double standard part is exactly right. Fans are owed some type of statement.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 08:38:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nothing will be said. I think they are hoping all the attention the women will be getting will help sweep the problems with the men's program under the rug.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, jdonaccbus, miltonherdfan, BuckHerd

Offline herd2win

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 08:41:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • More evidence of who is running the show.  Dantoni is a made man and is untouchable.  It wouldn't surprise me at all after next season we have a super watered down OOC and it up just over 500 and Dan gets another extension.

He can just give it to himself.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 08:48:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • More evidence of who is running the show.  Dantoni is a made man and is untouchable.  It wouldn't surprise me at all after next season we have a super watered down OOC and it up just over 500 and Dan gets another extension.

He can just give it to himself.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

Offline MUther

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 08:51:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thoughts?

Huff isn't a Herd legacy that requires being handled with kid gloves.  It's not a double standard, it's two different situations.  I don't agree with it, but that's the reality.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mu79grad, wlf

Offline scuberman

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 08:58:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I won't add any thing further. Good post. The double standard part is exactly right. Fans are owed some type of statement.

We as fans can make our own statement by not attending games and not talking about MARSHALL basketball. Let Spears tarp the entire lower bowl of the Henderson center. We had one of the best attendance records in the SBC despite our record.
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:24:52 AM by scuberman »

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, MUther

Offline MUonium

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 09:01:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the debacle hasn't had time to fully sink in yet.  give it a week or so

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 09:10:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not at all racial but again 💯 % political

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 09:41:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It could just be a touchy situation with the new coach having the best season ever in women's basketball and her husband being on Dan's staff.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 09:41:53 AM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It could just be a touchy situation with the new coach having the best season ever in women's basketball and her husband being on Dan's staff.

He might be the only person on Marshall's payroll that is more untouchable than Dan.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Online herdloyal

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 10:41:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The remedy is for Mike to come and reestablish a solid BB program period. That for me would justify a Dantoni legacy further with Marshall!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 10:47:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The remedy is for Mike to come and reestablish a solid BB program period. That for me would justify a Dantoni legacy further with Marshall!

Offline herd2win

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 10:54:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

No

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, ed swain, miltonherdfan, ThunderCat98

Offline elginherd

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 11:05:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff isn't a Herd legacy that requires being handled with kid gloves.  It's not a double standard, it's two different situations.  I don't agree with it, but that's the reality.

Exactly.
    Well said.

There's a very valid argument to be made that, while attendence & revenue isn't tanking like the piss & moaners claim on this board, potential gains are not going to be realized with the product displayed on the floor. As bright as Spears & Smith are, I'm fairly confident that they realize this and are quietly considering risk vs reward.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 12:00:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There's not much to say other than "We f*cked up last year by giving him a 3 year deal and now we can't afford to fire him."

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 12:25:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This "herd Legacy" defense for keeping Dan is not a good argument, it is just BS. Marshall has fired MU grads who were our basketball coaches Jule Rivlin (Marshall first all American basketball player) and Greg White (Greg was just as good as a player as Dan). MU also fired football head coaches who were MU grads Herb Royer; Charlie Snyder, and Mark Snyder. While not a MU grad, Cam Henderson was forced out at the end of his career after having the football head coaching job taken away from him.

We all know why Dan is being retained. Marshall has sold themselves out for money donations when hiring other coaches. This is not the first time it has happened.

I accepted a phone call this morning from a rep from the MU Foundation offering to take me to lunch when he visits Florida later this month (at my age and zip code,I guess he wants me to make MU part of my estate). I told him that I realized he was fundraising on the academic side, but that I was very unhappy with keeping Dan as coach. He said he understood and brought up the WB program. I politely told him that I have a big problem giving money to the academic side when the MU administration is wasting money on the men's basketball coach who under performs and doesn't attend alumni functions. He acted like I am not the first to complain about Dan. I told him he should pass on my concerns to MU officials.

I told him I needed to cool down before I made a decision to meet with him. I said if we do meet; the lunch will be on me.
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 12:38:38 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This "herd Legacy" defense for keeping Dan is not a good argument, it is just BS. Marshall has fired MU grads who were our basketball coaches Jule Rivlin (Marshall first all American basketball player) and Greg White (Greg was just as good as a player as Dan). MU also fired football head coaches who were MU grads Herb Royer; Charlie Snyder, and Mark Snyder. While not a MU grad, Cam Henderson was forced out at the end of his career after having the football head coaching job taken away from him.

We all know why Dan is being retained. Marshall has sold themselves out for money donations when hiring other coaches. This is not the first time it has happened.

I accepted a phone call this morning from a rep from the MU Foundation offering to take me to lunch when he visits Florida later this month (at my age and zip code,I guess he wants me to make MU part of my estate). I told him that I realized he was fundraising on the academic side, but that I was very unhappy with keeping Dan as coach. He said he understood and brought up the WB program. I politely told him that I have a big problem giving money to the academic side when the MU administration is wasting money on the men's basketball coach who under performs and doesn't attend alumni functions. He acted like I am not the first to complain about Dan. I told him he pass on my concerns to MU officials.

I told him I needed to cool down before I made a decision to meet with him. I said if we do meet; the lunch will be on me.

Everything you've said is opinion that I cannot refute without offering opinion of my own... EXCEPT that Greg was just as good of a player as Dan was.  That's, objectively, not true.  Dan was an elite point guard on a national-level program.  Read what the #1 rated Houston players said about him after the game at Madison Square Garden:  https://mds.marshall.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2049&context=parthenon 

Greg is a friend of mine and I was in school when he was playing.  But the teams of the '67-'73 time frame were a different animal than what Marshall was fielding in the late '70s and early '80s. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, mu79grad

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 01:22:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everything you've said is opinion that I cannot refute without offering opinion of my own... EXCEPT that Greg was just as good of a player as Dan was.  That's, objectively, not true.  Dan was an elite point guard on a national-level program.  Read what the #1 rated Houston players said about him after the game at Madison Square Garden:  https://mds.marshall.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2049&context=parthenon 

Greg is a friend of mine and I was in school when he was playing.  But the teams of the '67-'73 time frame were a different animal than what Marshall was fielding in the late '70s and early '80s.

Everything I said about the coaches is true, not opinion. All the coaches were MU grads and let go.

Regarding Greg and Dan, you are comparing teams which in not a fair factor. Dan played on a team which included two players who had professional careers in the NBA and ABA. Greg teammates were not that talented. Individually, I don't think there was a great deal of difference in the level of ability, but one played on a much better team. Dan did make the MAC first team his senior season. Now if you want to talk about Mike that is a different story and he took a MU team to top ten ranking and no other MU team achieved that level. Mike was a much better player than Greg or Dan.   I would also rate several other MU guards as better players than either Dan or Greg. 
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 01:30:56 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 01:30:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everything I said about the coaches is true, not opinion. All the coaches were MU grads and let go.

Regarding Greg and Dan, you are comparing teams which in not a fair factor. Dan played on a team who included two players who had professional careers in the NBA and ABA. Greg teammates were not that talented. Individually, I don't think there was a great deal of difference in the level of ability, but one played on a much better team. Dan did make the MAC first team his senior season. Now if you want to talk about Mike that is a different story and he took a MU team to top ten ranking and no other MU team achieved that level. Mike was a much better player than Greg or Dan.   I would also rate several other MU guards as better players than either Dan or Greg.

Greg was much slower than Dan, and not nearly as good of a defender.  I'd rate them even for distribution and scoring ability. 

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 01:30:08 PM »

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 01:31:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everything you've said is opinion that I cannot refute without offering opinion of my own... EXCEPT that Greg was just as good of a player as Dan was.  That's, objectively, not true.  Dan was an elite point guard on a national-level program.  Read what the #1 rated Houston players said about him after the game at Madison Square Garden:  https://mds.marshall.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2049&context=parthenon 

Interesting MM that in that same edition of The Parthenon" there was an article about how Dr. Stewart Smith wanted to have a Board of Governors at Marshall but it was voted down by the West Virginia State Legislature.  If there were no Board of Governors today, Coach Dan would most likely not be the current Marshall coach.

Thank you for sharing a "way-back" edition of "The Parethenon."  It was an excellent student newspaper with outstanding writers.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2024, 01:40:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting MM that in that same edition of The Parthenon" there was an article about how Dr. Stewart Smith wanted to have a Board of Governors at Marshall but it was voted down by the West Virginia State Legislature.  If there were no Board of Governors today, Coach Dan would most likely not be the current Marshall coach.

Thank you for sharing a "way-back" edition of "The Parethenon."  It was an excellent student newspaper with outstanding writers.

It really was.  The students took pride in it, and the faculty advisors demanded excellence.  The edition published after the plane crash was iconic. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline herd2win

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 01:45:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It really was.  The students took pride in it, and the faculty advisors demanded excellence.  The edition published after the plane crash was iconic.

I would give anything to have real journalism and standards the Parthenon had.  No matter what side you are politically, we only have propaganda now and zero true journalism.  Everything has a spin.

I thought the reason for the BOG was so that MU could do what they wanted and WVU and the legislature could not tell MU what to do.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 01:45:21 PM »